Help me like yogurt!

mster425

DIS Veteran
I feel a little silly posting this thread. But, someone somewhere has to be able to help me!

I would like to/have been told by a doctor to eat yogurt for various health reasons but it makes me gag every. single. time. It just tastes so sour and artificial to me- like milk gone bad. I REALLY want to get over this!

Any suggestions? (besides suck it up! :goodvibes) I've been told to get Greek yogurt and add fresh fruit instead of the fake stuff, but doesn't the Greek stuff taste even more sour?? Are any brands better than another? I think I've only had Dannon fruit on the bottom. What am I missing?

I'd be interested in any ideas as well. I have a huge texture issue with yogurt. And I agree with mster425 about the sour thing. I don't even like regular milk, so the sour milk thing is very off putting. Bleah! But I would love to like yogurt - it' so good for you!

Well I mix it with fresh fruits, granola and cinnamon. And that made me like it.

I like the Yoplait Light better than the fruit on the bottom. That stuff tastes like chalk. Also, mixing with fruit and granola will help. I love that!

Agree with all of the above....and stay away from Chobani, the Greek yogurt. If you don't like regular yogurt, you will hate that. I like vanilla yogurt the best.

Agree with all of the above....and stay away from Chobani, the Greek yogurt. If you don't like regular yogurt, you will hate that. I like vanilla yogurt the best.

I like vanilla too... the Stoneyfield brand... yum.

I like the Yoplait Light better than the fruit on the bottom. That stuff tastes like chalk. Also, mixing with fruit and granola will help. I love that!

I agree that Yoplait and Yoplait Light tastes the best to me by far. I add berries and almonds to mine. Cherry and Peach are my two personal favorites.

I like yoplait vanilla and mix in granola every morning for breakfast.

Try making it into a smoothie with some fresh or frozen fruit. If the frozen fruit is in big chunks it might need to be thawed a bit first. You may want to add a bit of milk or fruit juice to get your desired consistency. I don't really have a recipe, I just throw it all in until it tastes good.

I don't like the taste of yogurt. But like you, I eat it for health reasons. Not as often as I should, but at least I get some each week.

I don't have a favorite brand, but I do mostly buy the fruit on the bottom type. And before I open it, I shake the container real good to mix it up instead of just stiring it to mix up the fruit.

It takes me about a 1/2 hour - 45 minutes to eat one small container of yogert, because I just can't do a spoonful. I just dip my spoon in, coating the spoon, then lick it clean. I gag if I do a full spoonful. Even with just licking a spoon clean, if I eat to fast, the yogert starts to leave a funny taste in my mouth. And, no, adding whole fruit or granola doesn't help me eat a spoonful, either.

I feel a little silly posting this thread. But, someone somewhere has to be able to help me!

I would like to/have been told by a doctor to eat yogurt for various health reasons but it makes me gag every. single. time. It just tastes so sour and artificial to me- like milk gone bad. I REALLY want to get over this!

Any suggestions? (besides suck it up! :goodvibes) I've been told to get Greek yogurt and add fresh fruit instead of the fake stuff, but doesn't the Greek stuff taste even more sour?? Are any brands better than another? I think I've only had Dannon fruit on the bottom. What am I missing?

I mix my favorite cereal in yogurt (vanilla fat free) and eat it. Maybe it would taste more like your cereal than the yogurt? It also gives it a crunch texture instead of slimey. Also if you can find the wipped variety it's more airy and fluffy, like mousse`

How about making a fruit smoothie with it? Blending it as a drink might make it more palatable.

Or if you froze it and ate it like a popsicle, would it have the same live cultures?

Also not a big yogurt fan (and was told as a teen to eat it for some health issues- I totally ignored it. Just coudn't do it!)

I do agree with the yoplait light vs fruit on the bottom slimy stuff (blech!)

You can make dips with yogurt vs sour cream. (Ok this involves eating alot of dip probably to get a serving, but... :0) I love love love tzadziki- you take plain yogurt (I drain it over a coffee filter so it's less watery) and mix in grated cucumber and garlic. Let it sit so they all meld together. Delicious with crusty bread or veggies. Yum!

If you don't like yogurt (I'm not fond of it either) and you still need the live cultures from it, there are alternatives. I now take a chewable wafer that I got in the health food dept of my grocery store. It was recommended by the pharmacist. It is chewable acidophilus with bifidus and 1 billion organisms. I take the blueberry flavor and like it so much better than eating a ton of yogurt to get the same benefits.

I dont mind fat in yoghurt. If you have low fat yoghurt than the fat isnt bad for you. That fat is natural, it belongs in there. Just dont over do it.

The sugar in the vanilla yoghurt scares me more.

I'm fine with the taste but can't stand the texture. The fruit helps.

I love yogurt!:thumbsup2 I don't like the ones that are overly sweet, but that's just me. I don't like things that are too sweet. I discovered Greek yogurt, which I love. Oikos is my favorite brand and it contains the least amount of sugar. You can buy vanilla flavored yogurt, which has a very mild taste, and add fresh fruit to it. Yum!

I get the Stonyfield Farms vanilla yogurt, put fresh fruit and some Bear Naked fruit and nut granola in it and top with a scoop of whipped cream or cool whip. I've even got my kids to love this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter