• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me handle the heat

Sydnoahmom

Mouseketeer
We (DH, me, DD13, DS9) have done Disney numerous times. All of the trips have been in Nov, Dec and Jan. This year d/t a job change, we can only make it in August:cool2:

We have been in Florida in the summer before, but on a beach with ocean breezes and cool drinks always at hand. What do I need to know to prepare for this? :thanks:

1) Drink LOTS of fluids - preferably water. By the time you realize you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
2) Take indoor breaks as needed. Even just a couple of minutes in the air conditioning can make all the difference. In August of 2007, I used it as an excuse to see a couple of indoor shows that my fiancee would not have wanted to see otherwise.
3) Wear lighter colored clothing and definitely wear shorts
4) Consider afternoon pool breaks at the hotel

Oh and invest in a good pair of sunglasses for each member of the party. The sun in blinding and will not want to have to buy them at the parks or hotel.

Make dinner ressies at sitdown air conditioned restaurants. Alternate outdoor attractions with air conditioned indoor ones. Bring one of those handheld mister fans(buy at walmart or kmart before you go). My husband always takes a washcloth in a ziploc with ice cubes to freshen up with throughout the day. Go to park with early morning hours if you are staying onsite and then leave when it starts to get crowded and go back to hotel for rest/swim break. That way you aren't there during the hottest part of the day. Then you will be refreshed to go back out for the evening. We often travel in August, and find that mid day break vital.

1) Drink LOTS of fluids - preferably water. By the time you realize you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
2) Take indoor breaks as needed. Even just a couple of minutes in the air conditioning can make all the difference. In August of 2007, I used it as an excuse to see a couple of indoor shows that my fiancee would not have wanted to see otherwise.
3) Wear lighter colored clothing and definitely wear shorts
4) Consider afternoon pool breaks at the hotel

We go to the parks at rope drop, leave around 1:00, go to dinner around 6-7 and go to evening EMHs every night. This allows us to stay out of the heat during the hottest part of the day, and recharge for the night. Im from GA where it will be about 5 degrees hotter with more humidity than Orlando believe it or not, so I'm pretty acclimated. We could stay in the park all day and the heat wouldn't bother me its more or less the complete lack of sleep and loss of energy that I catch up with in the afternoons, but this plan would significantly cut down on the heat factor also.

Buy some sweat wiking shirts, drink a ton of water, take breaks indoors to cool down (really the biggest thing to me). A wet towel around you're neck can be a lifesaver too. I've never had to do this at WDW but in other instances that damp hand towel can really cool you down.
I love that hot sticky summer heat Cant Wait!:thumbsup2

wear a large brimmed hat. a misting water bottle comes in handy as well. as others have said, start early in the morning, take a break mid-afternoon and head back in the evenings, drink water throughout the day and not just when you are thirsty, take in some indoor shows to get out of the heat - i want to go back in august/september again but my wife does not - she found it too hot. april/may was more to her liking.

We went last August and I just wanted to add:

Use sunscreen. The heat will be intolerable with a sunburn.

Slow down the pace. Even if you want to run around to catch everything - you just can't when it's really hot.

We found that getting free large ice waters from the CS places was a lifesaver. The ice cold water really cools you down. We held onto the cups of ice too and popped ice cubes in our mouth. If you really can't stand FL water, at least get cups of ice.

Water misting bottles are GREAT! A little spritz feels SO good - even in humid weather. People in line near us often asked for a spritz! (I was the designated spritzer and it was fun!) You'll only need to carry one bottle as you can fill it over and over. They sell fancy ones with fans in the parks but we dropped and broke ours almost immediately. You can buy a couple of cheap bottles at home for a dollar or so each.

Let the kids get wet but know that sometimes being really soggy equals feeling yucky when it's that hot and humid. :scared: A better idea is a "neck cooler" or bandana that they can soak in cold water and put on their necks. We packed some dry shirts to go with the kids quick-dry shorts. Also worth noting, when we were there, we noticed that two little girls with "swim shorts" were not allowed on Splash Mtn because bathing suits weren't allowed and I guess these were really bathing suit bottoms.

Lastly, a cold Dole Whip never hurts :thumbsup2

We use swim towels. You just wet them and wrap them over you shoulders. They will drop your skin temp down by 10*-15* When they warm up simply swing them in the air and they cool down again. Of course a little bit of ice water helps too!

When DS was a baby we would drape one over him in the stroller...kept the sun off and kept him cool.

When they start to dry out add more cool water.

The best thing about these is they cool you down without getting your clothes all wet. Also good for a sudden downpour. They'll dry you off quickly.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/6189.htm

I like those towels, overthemoon4mickey! Those would be great for cooling down.:)

We've used them here at Seaworld in Texas and they work wonders! My friend borrowed them and used them at Disney and said so many people stopped them and asked where they got them. I actually found mine at WalMart in the Auto Dept. They were in lots of bright colors and had a little plastic carry case. I didn't see them there last summer but you could check. Also maybe an auto parts store??? We actually had a nike one for swimming and it was half the size, same material and 4 X's as expensive!

The link I posted was a great price.

Oh, and we just fold them and put them in a large ziploc when we hit the parks.

i live in florida, so I've got years of practice for year - round heat handling haha.

Definitely wear your hair up! ( if possible of course )

take a backpack instead of carrying a bag on your shoulder - you'd be surprised how much cooler it is when you take off that purse ha.

i also agree with maintaining a calm walking pace

and try to watch your breathing. Sometimes in this heat if you come to a stop, you won't realize it, but you were practically hyperventilating.

I don't know which parks you are going to, but I've been to Epcot the most, and heat isn't a problem in general. In the countries, there are tiny shops every dozen steps you take that are great to sneak into for some AC :)

Hope that helped! If I think of more I'll let you know :)

Water bottles with the fans attached is #1 to me. Misty mates are good as well. You fill it with water and they spray a continual mist from an attached hose. Not to heavy to carryeither. Can buy those at wal-mart, sometimes wal-greens, and probably internet. They also sell a hicking back pack that has a plastic container inside that you can fill up with ice and water. It has a sucking hose to drink the water from. It looks just like a regular backpack and has room for other things as well. Can buy those at sporting good stores. My family has all of these, but my favorite is the Waterbottle with the fan. I like it because you can spray yourself as well as drink out of the hole that you put the ice in. Plus the fan blowing cool water on you feels great in the summer heat. Try and find a large one.

We like sunvisors over hats. It's better than a hat because your head sweats under a hat.

Fanny pack instead of purse.

Also pack some grapes. I did this last trip and it was so refreshing in the middle of the hot day. Cooled me down believe it or not.
Hope it helps

Okay, things that haven't been mentioned that I always keep in mind when Northern friends visit me in the Gulf South.

Clothing: Light, loose, cotton materials. Thin is in. Colors are soft neutrals or white or pastels. Tight clothing will chafe and cause heat rash. If I were going to Disney in August, I'd wear my uber-thin quick drying bermudas in sand color and a tissue thick t-shirt. The bermudas and the t-shirt are both in a size 12. I'm a size 8. Loose clothing moves and lets air in. As for hats: buy the ventilated kind with wide brims. But shade your WHOLE head: the top of your head can sunburn, even through hair!

If it has been raining and the humidity is high and you'll be out in the weather, sweating for long periods of time: Cornstarch is your friend, especially in places that tend to be wet and moist. For women this is under your endowments. For men this is. . .well:blush: you can figure it out. For both sexes :blush: . . .let's just say that the worst case of heat rash I ever got was a case I got huckleberry picking in the deep woods one rainy day in May while wearing jeans with boyshort undies. I walked funny for a week and a half.

Be careful with your feet. Do not let them become wet and humid and STAY wet and humid. This can lead to things worse than blisters! (There are some GREAT sandals out there that will keep your feet cool and comfy.)

If you feel like you're going to melt, stop and sit down and cool down. If you don't feel like you're going to melt, you still should stop frequently and cool down.

Other posters have mentioned sunscreen. Remember to re-apply sunscreen every few hours. May I also mention that alcohol based Bullfrog sunscreen is nice, cool stuff?

Ice cream is NOT the most cooling thing you can ingest. Go for straight water, cold soft drinks, cold iced tea (why do you think Southerners are so addicted to it, anyway?), cold iced coffee, or snoball type slushy ice concoctions. Drink these things as often as possible. (However, I will still ingest about 8 cups of hot coffee a day in August. I will do so while walking out in the heat. I was born in Louisiana, and my father fed me hot coffee from the time I was an infant. I've developed the ability and you will doubtless see others drinking hot coffee in 98 degree heat. This does not necessarily mean you should follow suite.)

Swimming pools are a wonderous invention. Please be careful. Water is a great reflector. (You probably know this already, but I'll lecture to the chorus.) You're more likely to get sunburn at a pool than sitting in grass because the sun's rays reflect off the water (and also because you're exposing various bits of your self that haven't seen the sun in months). Reapply sunscreen frequently. If you do get sunburned, there is no such thing as too much aloe vera lotion.

You will sweat a great deal. Don't worry about it. Everyone else is sweating too. Wear good deodorant and shower every day, you'll be fine.

If you're a girl, keep your hair pinned up. High pony-tails are for, whatever reason, even cooler than short hair. (Never been able to figure this one out, but it's true. My hair has been a half inch and it's been to my waist. Putting my hair up is cooler than wearing it short. I know women who grow their hair out for the summer months just so they can take advantage of this strange truism.)

Finally, if you live in snow country: you know that point in February where you're so SICK of effin winter that you effin want to effin go nuts? The time when you have long daydreams about warm weather and not having to wear an parka everytime you go out? That time when the mountain of snow in the parking lot at the Wal-Mart is so large there have been reported sightings of Yeti on it at night? And you're miserable because you know you're not even close to warm weather? That is how the natives in Florida feel in August. Except instead of living in a deep freezer, they're living in a dog's mouth.

We went this past August. We brought misters, misting fans, refillable water bottle w/holders, purses, a camera, etc. We were hot, sweaty, exhausted and cranky just from carrying all this crap! After the first day we switched to fanny packs and smaller/lighter purses. Whoever said the Baggalini was a great idea must have traveled during the winter! ;) We left the misting fans and refillable water bottles back in the room. We took small water bottles each day and when it was empty we just bought new ones at the park. More expensive, but definitely worth not having to carry around a bottle all day. The one thing that helped us out tremendously were washclothes. I bought a pack of 12 cheaply in Kohls and we would wet one for each of us and put it in the little freezer or fridge in our room overnight. Then we'd just carry it in our little fannypack/purse and wipe down frequently. Even once it melted and thawed, we would just rinse it/run it under cold water in the restrooms and be completely refreshed.

Portable, hand held Misty Mates are fantastic. They come in several colors and are smaller than a plastic water bottle. Just fill with water, pump the bottom a few times, and press a button to mist.

Lots & lots of water

Get there early

Leave the park when it starts getting too hot & hit the pool. Return later. We do this most days & don't stay on site.

Keep an ice box in the boot/trunk of car filled with ice & drinks. Great to return to

Frequent "shortcuts" through the air conditioned shops are helpful, but expensive.

Go to Walmart in the camping section and buy some "cool ties" or "cool neckties" (not sure of the exact name). They are filled with gel caps. You sock the tie in cold water, it expands the gel, which stays cool and wear around your neck. It really works and they are not expensive. I work with a group that makes these to send to our troops to help them deal with the hot mid east weather.

Know when you are getting too hot and bothered to enjoy yourself. Disney will not be fun if you are exhausted from the heat. All the advice above is great. Sometimes, you just have to get out of the sun. And remember, it takes a while to get out of the park, ride the bus or monorail, and get back to your hotel. Swim, take a rest, have a drink in a cool restaurant and people watch. Take it a little slower and you will have a great time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter