Help me get ready for HHI trip (1 week away!)

TenThousandVolts

<font color=darkcoral>I just gave 2 examples for t
We leave soon and check-in on Easter morning! (Family of 5: mom, dad, dd12, ds11, ds 5)

Questions:
1. What are best family restaurants around? We prefer casual places- but love all types of cuisine- and would rather not go to "chain" places as we want to get a sense of the local flavor.

2. Other than the standard vacation stuff, clothes, swimwear, beach toys- Is there anything I should definately pack that I might be forgetting?

3. What is the deal with Internet in the rooms? (Free? Pay? Wireless? Ethernet?)

4. We are going to Savannah for a day. Any tours or activities you recommend for our family in Savannah?

5. Are there any Must-Do activities at the resort I should make sure not to miss?

6. Is there an Egg hunt? If so, anyone know around what time? Also, any other Easter festivities they have had in the past- would love to hear about them.

7. We are staying Saturday night before check-in at the Westin Hilton Head- any tips about that place?

I have a few answers (really opinions for you) LOL. Don't ride the free trolley in Savannah - we made that mistake - a guy was tripping out during our ride - very uncomfortable situation.

We don't eat at fancy places at HH but our favs are:

Kurama - early bird
Harold's - hole in the wall for B or L (closed Sunday)
Sea Shack - local's hole in the wall for great seafood (have other things also) I think they are closed on Sunday, also.

Two years ago we had the early bird at Hugo's at Wexford and enjoyed it.

Will look forward to hearing from you about your trip.:thumbsup2

The only one I can answer has to do with the Internet. One thing I love at HHI resort is that there's FREE wireless internet in Big Murgie's Den (and the deck outside), Community Hall area (some people have reported being able to access it from the pool), and out at the Beach House. Some people staying in the lodge have been able to get the internet in their villas, we haven't been so lucky on the third floor. But this way, I'm happy surfing the internet while DH is off golfing...and golfing...and golfing some more.
If you really like nature, one must-do I'd recommend is a walk thru Sea Pines Forest Preserve. And for history in there, stop by the Indian Shell Ring.

We are also checking in on Easter Sunday. I called HH last week and found out that there is a brunch at the beach house from 10:30 - 2:00. During this time there will be face painting and easter crafts. At 12:00 at the beach house there will also be a party at the pool with a DJ. An egg hunt will be at 3:00 at the main building.

Don't forget a flashlight. It is nice to walk the beach under the moon. There is a public park near the Marriott Surf Watch where you can park. I can't remember the name of it! If you are coming from DVC, heading toward Surf Watch, heading off island on Hilton Parkway, you turn right at the light at the gas station just before Surf Watch. I'm sure there are others including the DVC beach house.

The Westin is a really nice place! The pool is one of the nicest I have seen. The restaurants are good as well. Parking can be a little tight. There just doesn't seem to be enough places as it is always packed with cars.

The only one I can answer has to do with the Internet. One thing I love at HHI resort is that there's FREE wireless internet in Big Murgie's Den (and the deck outside), Community Hall area (some people have reported being able to access it from the pool), and out at the Beach House. Some people staying in the lodge have been able to get the internet in their villas, we haven't been so lucky on the third floor. But this way, I'm happy surfing the internet while DH is off golfing...and golfing...and golfing some more.
If you really like nature, one must-do I'd recommend is a walk thru Sea Pines Forest Preserve. And for history in there, stop by the Indian Shell Ring.

I am here right now and I have a good connection from the third floor.

My favorite HHI restaurant (by far) is Hudsons. Well worth the effort to get there - especially if you like oysters or crab cakes.

As for don't miss activities - we really enjoyed the low county boil last year - it should be going on while you're there. Also thought the geocaching was fun - and loved the pillow craft.

The DVC behind-the-scenes tour was cool.

Have a great time!!!!!! We were there the same time last year and had a blast.

We always take a battery powered lantern for the porch, some cards to play go fish or crazy eights at the picnic table, and be sure to rent bikes as soon as you get there. Have fun!

You can get a list of all the internet providers local access info from the front desk...

I am not sure if your DD is/was a Girl Scout but Julliett Lowes Childhood home is in SAV (she was the founder of GS) it's a lovely house tour and you can buy a special pin you can only buy there...

Savannah is my home town, what do you want to know?

Any of the tour buses are ok, but, if you are driving, you will want to go down toward Tybee and see Ft Pulaski and then continue toward the beach.

You'll want to see: The Owen Thomas House, Davenport House, Paula Deen's, Forsyth Park, Trustees Garden. River St. and probably other things that I can't remember off the top of my head.

You also won't be far from Beaufort SC. Lots of old houses and Parris Island has a Great Museum open to the public.

We spent the day over at Disney HH on Saturday the 15th. It was a wonderful day. We went to the beach, ate at Signes' (you'll want to make sure you eat at Signes), grabbed a burger at Tide me Over and smacked some pool balls around in Big Murgie's Den.

We also recommend the Brick Oven Pizza place at Park Plaza. Only open in the evening, it's worth the wait!

Anything else?

We spent the day over at Disney HH on Saturday the 15th. It was a wonderful day. We went to the beach, ate at Signes' (you'll want to make sure you eat at Signes)
:thumbsup2 Yes, don't miss Signe's! Just today we were talking about Signe's great pies and their key lime pound cake.

Beaufort also has a fabulous scrapbook store, if you're a scrapper.

We loved our dinner at the uh Parrot place = i forget the name - across the bridge from the DVC at the marina.

Did a dolphin, beachcombing trip with Dolphin discoveries, I think the name was - the one that only takes 6 in the boat = it was $65 each but well worth it.

Don't forget - bug dope and sun screen.

Best thing for the sand Gnats (the no-see'ums...flying Teeth) is a 50% mix of water and Skin-so-soft. Put that all over you and you will be safe.

You will love HHI. Make sure to rent bikes early when you get there. It's a great area to just ride around or to the beach house. I want to go back, but probably not until next summer.

Our kids love to crab fish off the pier as well as fish from there as well. You never know what you might catch. Over the years, our kids have caught turtles, flounder, sting rays, white fish and sharks. :thumbsup2

The one thing I don't see anyone mentioned was flying kites in the early evening on the beach. We have spent many hours doing this as well as walking up and down the beach to see the different sand creations. There is a kite store in Coligny Plaza that sells easy flyer kites. It's well worth the money to buy one of them. Just hang onto the string as we have been known to have to chase them down the beach. :rotfl2:

Have a great trip!

When you buy your groceries don't forget chicken necks, backs, etc. You can get a crab trap from the resort for a few $$ our DD 16 still loves to catch crabs, etc. at the end of the pier. Almost forgot that one :thumbsup2

I am now packing. Does anyone have any ideas of items I must pack? We are packing the car tonight before we go to the kids swim banquet, so by 4:30 I need to be all ready. We are getting up early to head south.

I am now packing. Does anyone have any ideas of items I must pack? We are packing the car tonight before we go to the kids swim banquet, so by 4:30 I need to be all ready. We are getting up early to head south.
Hope you have a great trip. Have not been to HHIR yet, but we are supposed to be there next weekend. Some have commented about no-see-ums, but I can't imagine they would be bad this early in the year. Would love to hear if they are so we can bring our skin-so-soft with us. If you have your computer with you on the trip, would love to hear a trip report so we know what to expect when we arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter