Help Me Fix Google Maps

Aram Herschensohn

Earning My Ears
Please help me fix Google Maps. I have sent an edit request through the Google Maps app for 3 weeks in a row. I did it once before and Google responded within a week. I don't know what the holdup is, but I think that if there is enough people requesting the changes, they will listen. Here are the changes that need to be made:

Disneyland Main Street Railroad Station is shown in the Disneyland Castle, should be on Main Street
Toy Story Mania! is shown in the Disneyland Castle, should be in California Adventure, Paradise Pier
Gadget's Go Coaster is shown on Main Street, should be in Toon Town
Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue is in the Big Thunder Ranch Ride (kind of hard to reach)
Captain EO needs to be changed to the Tomorrowland Theatre (it hasn't been Captain EO since 2013)
Pacific Wharf Distribution Co. is shown next to Indiana Jones, should be in California Adventure
Radiator Springs Racers is shown next to Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta, should be in Cars Land
Defibrillator & Payphone - nothings wrong with this, but please give it a 5 star rating.

It's real simple. You go to Google Maps, type in the name of the attraction, it should come up in the left corner, click 'suggest an edit,' and then 'Marker is placed incorrectly on map.' An image of all the errors is shown here as well.

redir

For real mapping issues that actually cause problems for drivers it took them well over a month for them to respond and change it.

For this "problem" I'd expect it to take a little longer.

This is a serious "problem." If I get walking directions to Toy Story Mania, I'd pay $96 to get into Disneyland, only to find out that I'm in the wrong park. (I don't think Disney is going to issue a refund to you based on Google's mistake) :)

I know some features of Google maps are shut down and were supposed to be back up August 9th...that might be why you are not hearing back. I have a business and was trying to add it and was not able to at the time and that is how I found out.

It's private property. I don't think Google should prioritize making these kinds of edits. If you need help locating TSMM or any ride, get a park map from Disney. I'd rather they have accurate driving and walking directions on city streets and public parks, like Central Park or Griffith Park.

In response to disheadz:
Map Maker is not available in the United States. But thanks for the suggestion.

In response to SMD:
There is no direct correlation between making corrections to Disneyland and having inaccurate directions on city streets. There is someone who works at Google and prioritizes changes, so if enough people complained about Disneyland, they would make the corrections sooner (it would take about 20 seconds to do). Theoretically, this would take their attention away from public streets, but I highly doubt it.

And finally, yes, Disneyland is private property, but since Google already posted this information and Disney did not sue them, I do not thing the issue of private property is really a big concern here. But I also am not taking this issue very seriously, as my main concern is the fact that only three people--myself included--have added a rating to the Defibrillator & Payphone.

My point being that Google is under no obligation to provide pinpoint accurate locations for rides on private property. I don't care if it does or does not take away from fixing city street data. I don't think it matters either way if the Disneyland data is right or wrong so long as the parks, the parking lots and the hotels are correct. I don't understand your point about the defibrillator. If you want to rate locations and that's something you want to offer your opinion/rating on, go ahead. How does this impact 99.99999% of Google Maps users or how they interact with the Google Maps product?

I know I'm personally not going by Google to look at a map of Disneyland. Disney's website is the best source of information for that.

SMD, 99.99999% of Google Map users aren't at Disneyland. For the other .000001% of us that are there, it's important to know that both the Defibrillator & pay phone function correctly and that people visiting the park can comfortably walk around knowing that they can be resescutated should their heart stop working (and that 911 is just a click away). Having this location prominent on the map means that the .0000001% of people at Disneyland that are old with weak hearts might just survive. How would you feel if someone died at Disneyland because you didn't rate the Defibrillator? Not good. Please rate it.

If someone at DL needs a defibrillator I'll use my phone to call 911 and alert the CMs who should know where to locate it. I would not pull out my phone and load up Google Maps and follow GPS directions expecting to resuscitate someone in time by using an online map. Like I said, that's not how most people interact with the Google Maps product. Let's be realistic here.

I do have realistic expectations here. I don't expect an old person has a cell phone. And I don't expect someone to pull out their phone and look for a Defibrillator on Google maps. But if there is a viral effect here and everyone knows about the Defibrillator in New Orleans Square, I do expect someone will remember.

Paramedics will take at least 10 minutes to get there (and that's factoring in the park at 85% capacity). Disneyland set up the Defibrillator next to a Payphone so your average Joe from Nebraska on vacation could "Defibrillate" someone in need and then call 911. The paramedics then take over. If only paramedics were supposed to use Defibrillators, why aren't they locked up?

Thanks for the feedback SMD. I appreciate it. I hope our back and forth isn't upsetting you. It's just a difference of opinion.

FWIW, the new Disneyland smart phone app that Disney came out with a week or two ago is very accurate and has tons of useful information in it that Google Maps does not. And if I'm at Disneyland and want to know where a defribillator is or where the bathroom is or how to get to ToonTown, I'm either going to use the printed map that the CM hands me at the front gate or I'm going to use the Disneyland app on my phone.

Google Maps would be the last place I'd look.

Or if I'm doing planning for an upcoming DL trip, I'll go to Disneyland's website and use their interactive map.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter