• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me feel better!

sherr

Mouseketeer
Ok, I must write here the things I've been feeling since returning from our Land/Sea vacation on Feb. 22-29.
This trip was our first as a family to Disney and first cruise. We viewed this as a once in a lifetime trip and so we did it all!
Except for one thing; Castaway Cay. Everything I have read here said that this is the highlight of the cruise and that it is the most beautiful place to see and darn it; we missed it. The winds were too strong that day and the captain couldn't dock the ship.
So here I am feeling like something is still missing and feeling sad that we didn't get to see paradise as some have called it. Whats worse is that I'm not sure if and when we could ever try it again and go back! So I am venting here in hopes that I can sleep better tonight and not come on here and get depressed when I read about Castaway Cay being the best part about DCL. Can anyone make me feel better?:( :( :(

I'm so sorry about your canceled CC excursion. (High winds prevented us from going into Grand Cayman last year, and we were disappointed too.)

Though I LOVED CC, (and some of you out there are going to club me, or my DH actually), DH actually told me, 'CC was great, but not THAT great.'

So there.

I think DCL is here to stay. So never say never. Who knows? You just might be able to sail w/them again some time.

I'm whispering.....I kind of feel the same way as Mickeyhugger!
It was very nice there and we enjoyed it immensely but I didn't think it was as great as some people think it is. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

We have been on 2 Disney cruises and have not made it to CC yet, one time for the same reason you had and the other due to a hurrican wiping the island bare. We are going again in Sept so hoping the 3rd times a charm.

I love Castaway Cay and to me it is a bit of heaven on earth. Having said that we missed it on our first cruise and it didn't ruin the cruise experience at all. We've been lucky to be able to go back 4 other times and once went to CC twice.

Enjoy the memories you do have and hopefully some day you'll be able to enjoy Castaway Cay too!

We missed CC on our first cruise as well (Hurricane Bonnie) and although disappointed it wasn't the end of the world. We enjoyed that cruise so much that when the opportunity came up again we grabbed it. Made it to CC that time and it was wonderful.

When we were planning our most recent trip we asked the kids if they had any preferences (we were going to do a family vacation but for our 20th anniversary). Hands down the 7 day cruise was the first choice of everyone. Made CC that time also.

We like it and I agree it is a gorgeous location, spending the day in that setting is a great way to wind up the cruise. But if we cruise again and don't make it I won't feel like it was a wasted trip.

Deb

Don't even think about it! We made it to CC twice and I'm a beach lover and CC was great, but it was not THAT great. I happen to think the food was just OK -- seemed cold to me. The biking was nice.

But, an extra day at sea! Now, that I would love to have! I love the feeling of the ship moving and seeing the water go by.

Don't worry. You had an extra, sunny day at sea and missing CC gives you yet another reason to book another cruise!

Don't club me either! I enjoyed Castaway Cay, but I wouldn't call it the highlight of our trip. I liked our stops in St. Maarten and St. Thomas as much if not more than our stop at Castaway Cay. I am glad there are other people who feel like I do. I felt a little guilty for not loving Castaway Cay.

Gayl

Add me to the list of people who thought CC was ok but not the highlight of our trip either! It was a beautiful island but so are the other ports you visit for the most part! I didnt like anything at the bbq and found the food to actually be almost subpar with the rest of the trip. It was nice but I wouldnt have cared if we missed it or went. I love the beach and my kids love the beach but even they got a little tired of it all after a few hours. Of course the day we went it was raining on and off all day long with little sunshine and cool water but I dont know if I would even enjoy it much more if it were warmer and sunny.

I wouldnt let it ruin your vacation memories! It was nice but a day at sea is pretty nice as well!

Heidi

I thoroughly enjoyed Castaway Cay, but having now been there if someone told me I had to spend an extra day at sea vs. going to Castaway Cay I would probably take the extra day at sea since those were the best days of the cruise IMHO (and we did enjoy all of the ports and all of our shore excursions on last year's Western). So, yes CC is fun but it is not so fun as to be upset at missing it either.

Ok, I feel a little better but let me mention that our cruise was only a 3 day and the only port we did get to was Naseau. :mad:
My 10 year old twin dds and dh were booked for the Seahorse Snorkeling which they never had done and my 6 dd and I were going on the glass bottom boat. Don't get me wrong it was still by far the best vacation ever and we loved the day at sea(dh saw it as a reason to visit the spa) but I have got to see CC and I'm not sure we will be able to afford another trip any time soon and darn it I want to KNOW that I can and will go again soon!
(stomping feet). I'm gonna go by a lottery tkt now. :crazy:
Thanks for all the replies.

All of you CC lovers please do not yell at me but I thought Orient beach on St Maarten was quite a bit more beautiful than CC. We also enjoyed the waves and the very warm water. Please do not flame me :D I did think it was nice, but like I said Orient Beach was much prettier. ~~~ Holding up my fireproof shield~~~

Was I glad that I got to go? absolutely.
Would it have ruined my cruise? No Way!

I know that since I have been it is easy for me to say.
Believe me I know how hard we saved for our cruise and wanted everything to be perfect, and it was, with or without Castaway Cay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter