Help Me Feel Better About Switching Resorts, Puhleeze

MouseEarsJenny

DIS Veteran
I love Coronado Springs. Stayed there on my last trip. Love, love, love it. Love the queen beds with their crisp white duvets. Love the contrast of dark wood and soft turquoise walls. Love the landscaping. Love the pool. Even love Pepper Market. Love everything about it.

We weren't even going to Disney this year. Even have another vacation booked to Washington DC and our favorite OBX beach hotel. So this vacation, which we decided to squeeze in after getting a free quick-service dining PIN is total bonus.

But, since we weren't planning on it, we did the fiscally responsible thing and waited to book until after paying our property taxes. Guess what? The package is sold out at CSR. Actually, everything is sold out at CSR except Junior Suites.

So we have to change resorts. We thought about going back to Pop. Loved it the first time we went, but that was before we were spoiled by a moderate. So we decided no. Thought about upgrading to AKL or Wilderness Lodge as the most economical deluxes. But neither really appeals, or seems worth the extra money. That left the other moderates. The two Port Orleans resorts don't seem even a little interesting, especially as far as the pools go - the sea serpent one is tacky and the riverside one seems to have no personality at all after the dramatic Dig Site pool.

That leaves us with Carribean Beach resort, which is our current reluctant choice.

I am well aware I should be more than grateful I get to go to Disney at all, and that getting one resort instead of another is a pathetic thing to be bummed about. Nevertheless, I had planned out the vacation in my head with CSR in mind, and now I'm a bit blue.

Can anyone tell me some of the good things about CBR to help me get back in the positive spirit?

POR would be my pick. Wonderful theme and landscaping throughout the resort. It has a great food court area and also offers a table service restaurant. The pool is very nice. The fishing hole is there for an extra activity. Bob Jackson is a very fun show to see in the evenings. Boat service to DTD is an extra bonus.

Had a great experience there last year - it's small so easy walk to restaurant, lobby, pool and bus depot. Only 1 bus depot and pretty quick trip to all of the parks. Pool was big, nicely themed with the resort - I didnt find the serpent slide to be tacky. Also, as PP mentioned about POR, FQ also has boat service to DTD. You can also visit the pool at POR as it is a sister resort.

YAY!!! You are GOING TO DISNEY!!!:banana:

CBR is awesome! It is very tropical and relaxing, the rooms are the biggest amongst the mods, and the new pool is just great for all ages. I love the central location of CBR, too. If you still have your heart set on CSR, it doesn't hurt to keep trying, call Disney every day to check for an opening, but I believe whether you are at CSR or CBR, you will have a wonderful time!

I love Coronado Springs. Stayed there on my last trip. Love, love, love it. Love the queen beds with their crisp white duvets. Love the contrast of dark wood and soft turquoise walls. Love the landscaping. Love the pool. Even love Pepper Market. Love everything about it.

We weren't even going to Disney this year. Even have another vacation booked to Washington DC and our favorite OBX beach hotel. So this vacation, which we decided to squeeze in after getting a free quick-service dining PIN is total bonus.

But, since we weren't planning on it, we did the fiscally responsible thing and waited to book until after paying our property taxes. Guess what? The package is sold out at CSR. Actually, everything is sold out at CSR except Junior Suites.

So we have to change resorts. We thought about going back to Pop. Loved it the first time we went, but that was before we were spoiled by a moderate. So we decided no. Thought about upgrading to AKL or Wilderness Lodge as the most economical deluxes. But neither really appeals, or seems worth the extra money. That left the other moderates. The two Port Orleans resorts don't seem even a little interesting, especially as far as the pools go - the sea serpent one is tacky and the riverside one seems to have no personality at all after the dramatic Dig Site pool.

That leaves us with Carribean Beach resort, which is our current reluctant choice.

I am well aware I should be more than grateful I get to go to Disney at all, and that getting one resort instead of another is a pathetic thing to be bummed about. Nevertheless, I had planned out the vacation in my head with CSR in mind, and now I'm a bit blue.

Can anyone tell me some of the good things about CBR to help me get back in the positive spirit?

As you know, CSR is our "home away from home" and we love it too. Because of our love for CSR, we've never stayed at another moderate. However, if we were going to choose another one, we would personally go with the POR because we love the food court there and the grounds, etc.

We have visited CBR and it just doesn't appeal to us. This is due to the fact that we are two traveling adults without young kids anymore and the rooms don't appeal to us with their new themes, we didn't care for the food court and the pool does not appeal to us either. Plus the overall "beach theme" doesn't appeal to us because we go to the beach either before or after Disney every trip. HOWEVER, this does not mean anything is wrong with the CBR -- it's just not for us. Our oldest DS (age 24) was there last July and, although he missed CSR, he had no issues with the CBR (except for the pool being too crowded with little ones and he was with 13-year olds and they were so worried about stepping on one of the little ones). Also, if you do a search, a good friend of mine here on the DIS, mickeystoontown has been to the CBR numerous times and is goinjg back in 75 days; she has great reviews and pictures and she LOVES the CBR.

The way I look at it -- you are going to Disney (unfortunately, we won't be able to make it this year) and you will have a great time. And if you are set on CSR, keep checking back--people cancel all the time and they might be blocking rooms for a convention that will eventually be released.

I would book CBR and call every day if you have to to try to get into CSR since you loved it so much. Good luck! :)

Of the moderate resorts, I have only been to POFQ and POR, and I loved both of them. However, if and when we get to go back to Disney, we would stay at CBR. For me, the biggest reason to be excited about CBR is that all the rooms and the pool have been redone! I know some people have recommended POR or POFQ, but there have also been several reports lately of the rooms needing a makeover. For me, the condition of the room is first and foremost in my resort choice. CBR also has 2 sinks in the bath area, as well as plenty of storage space for toiletries. CSR only has 1 sink, which I guess you already know!

CBR has what looks to be the best pool of all the mods. Personally, I like the looks of a free-form pool with lots of theming, instead of a squared-off type of pool like you would see at a YMCA. (If that makes any sense ;)) CBR's pool is huge, with zero-entry and 2 slides. And it also has a pirate-themed children's pool area with lots of fun things for kids. I don't think you mentioned if you have kids going, but if you do, they would surely love the kids' pool! But the main pool and the quiet pools are great for adults, too.

I think it would be great to try a new resort, anyway. Variety is the spice of life! I couldn't see going back to the same resort every time and missing out on all the great resorts Disney has to offer.

Of course you can keep trying for CSR, but I don't think you would have anything to be disappointed in if you decide on CBR. :thumbsup2

POR would be my pick. Wonderful theme and landscaping throughout the resort. It has a great food court area and also offers a table service restaurant. The pool is very nice. The fishing hole is there for an extra activity. Bob Jackson is a very fun show to see in the evenings. Boat service to DTD is an extra bonus.

It does seem pretty, but it's just not to my taste, although the boat to DTD is tempting.

Had a great experience there last year - it's small so easy walk to restaurant, lobby, pool and bus depot. Only 1 bus depot and pretty quick trip to all of the parks. Pool was big, nicely themed with the resort - I didnt find the serpent slide to be tacky. Also, as PP mentioned about POR, FQ also has boat service to DTD. You can also visit the pool at POR as it is a sister resort.

:confused3 I guess it's just me about the slide, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem as relaxing to me. The small size might be a plus, though.

YAY!!! You are GOING TO DISNEY!!!:banana:

CBR is awesome! It is very tropical and relaxing, the rooms are the biggest amongst the mods, and the new pool is just great for all ages. I love the central location of CBR, too. If you still have your heart set on CSR, it doesn't hurt to keep trying, call Disney every day to check for an opening, but I believe whether you are at CSR or CBR, you will have a wonderful time!

Thanks. :hug: I needed that. Plus, I didn't know that CBR has the largest rooms. That's pretty cool.

It is disappointing that you weren't able to get your first choice, you will have a great time and you may even decide you like CBR. We are staying there in two weeks and we picked it because the rooms have just been redone and the central location. I know POR and POFQ are very popular but I have heard reports of the rooms being a little worn, and since the room is important to us we choose CBR. I think having just stayed in CSR's new rooms, a really worn room would be especially disappointing. Now the CSR rooms are much more sophisticated but I think the CBR rooms are really bright and fun looking.

And I would keep calling back as others have suggested and maybe a room will open up at CSR after all.

Also, if you do a search, a good friend of mine here on the DIS, mickeystoontown has been to the CBR numerous times and is goinjg back in 75 days; she has great reviews and pictures and she LOVES the CBR.

The way I look at it -- you are going to Disney (unfortunately, we won't be able to make it this year) and you will have a great time. And if you are set on CSR, keep checking back--people cancel all the time and they might be blocking rooms for a convention that will eventually be released.

I will search for her, thank you. And I will keep trying, at least until my PIN expires. :)

I will search for her, thank you. And I will keep trying, at least until my PIN expires. :)

I also forgot to mention that when my son was there in July, it was over the 4th of July week (they were there for seven days for a baseball tournament). He said the buses at the CBR ran extremely well -- they never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for a bus going or coming back from the parks. The one lone exception was 4th of July night coming back from the Studios...but that was to be expected after the fireworks, etc.

I would book CBR and call every day if you have to to try to get into CSR since you loved it so much. Good luck! :)

Good plan! Thanks!

For me, the biggest reason to be excited about CBR is that all the rooms and the pool have been redone!

Well, it WAS the freshly remodeled rooms that I liked best at CSR, so it's good to know CBR was refreshed, too.

CBR has what looks to be the best pool of all the mods. Personally, I like the looks of a free-form pool with lots of theming, instead of a squared-off type of pool like you would see at a YMCA. (If that makes any sense ;)) CBR's pool is huge, with zero-entry and 2 slides. And it also has a pirate-themed children's pool area with lots of fun things for kids. I don't think you mentioned if you have kids going, but if you do, they would surely love the kids' pool!

My 13 and 10 year old will be going - they both love the Dig Site pool, but I'm sure they will be awed by the slides at the pool at CBR. That's one of the reasons we settled on CBR as our second choice - the pool comes closest to what we liked about CSR.

I think it would be great to try a new resort, anyway. Variety is the spice of life! I couldn't see going back to the same resort every time and missing out on all the great resorts Disney has to offer.

Another excellent point! I knew the great folks on the DIS would help me find perspective! :)

I think having just stayed in CSR's new rooms, a really worn room would be especially disappointing. Now the CSR rooms are much more sophisticated but I think the CBR rooms are really bright and fun looking.

True, true! I am a big beach fan, so the theming will probably grow on me.

Thanks so much everyone. Feeling better already!

I also forgot to mention that when my son was there in July, it was over the 4th of July week (they were there for seven days for a baseball tournament). He said the buses at the CBR ran extremely well -- they never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for a bus going or coming back from the parks. The one lone exception was 4th of July night coming back from the Studios...but that was to be expected after the fireworks, etc.

That's excellent! I was a bit worried about the buses, since it seems like a large resort.

That's excellent! I was a bit worried about the buses, since it seems like a large resort.

If you handled the CSR, you'll be fine at the CBR. Like I said, we've never stayed at CBR, but we've been a few times and we've walked one end to the other and it is just a tad bigger than the CSR. There are seven bus stops at the CBR as opposed to four at the CSR; but the CBR also has an internal shuttle from what I've read. Here's mickeystoontown latest report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2262690st

Our favorite moderate resort is Port Orleans Riverside Resort, but we have stayed at the Caribbean resort. It is a fun resort with a beach feel. The food court is really well themed! There are sand beaches and great pools! The only downside is the bus wait, due to the size of the resort! Other than that, you will have a great time! :)

WooHOo you're going to DISNEY !!!!!

No matter where you stay, your trip is bound to be :tinker: MAGICAL.
Even though I have never stayed at CBR I have heard about it from many friends and family. Everyone I have ever spoken to about CBR truly LOVED their stays.

Have a great time!!

You've already gotten a bunch of great advice (I am especially with the "Book CBR and keep checking on CSR"), but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

We've stayed at CBR twice and POR once (back when it was still Dixie Landings). POR is special to us because it was our first trip to Disney on property, but I can see how it might not seem appealing.

We really love CBR. It IS large, but we enjoyed walking leisurely around the grounds. What I liked most about it is that each area of buildings has its own pool. When the main pool was crazy busy, we could relax in relative seclusion at the "local" pool to our building, which I loved. I haven't been since the room refurbs, but it was my understanding that not ALL rooms have theming, only some of them (I could be totally wrong on that though!).

Have fun no matter where you stay - maybe you'll end up loving a new resort too!

Hey, MouseEarsJenny's DH here. I think at this point we've decided to go with CBR, but to check back every so often to see if there is a standard room open at CSR. :laughing:

Thanks for all the help :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter