Help me decide!!!!

cantoine

Don't just fly soar
Hello,
I need some advice, we just recently bought and i want to take a weekend over labor day. My husband will not be able to take the weekend off of work, so it will just be me, and 4 children. my options are limited but I am able to stay at SSR or AKL Kidani village standard. We are only going to Magic Kingdom for MNSSHP. I am looking for info, on these resorts to help me make my decision. Which one is easier to do basically as a single parent for the weekend? Thoughts

Have you checked availability for a 1 bedroom near BLT or VWL? If you only plan on doing MK, I'd stay near that park.

Have you checked availability for a 1 bedroom near BLT or VWL? If you only plan on doing MK, I'd stay near that park.

yes, they do not have availability for my whole trip. I do not want to do a split stay because i will only be there 3 nights. I only have the option of AKL, OKW, and SSR

First might I ask: You said it would be you and four children, but you listed the ages of only three children? Will there by five of you traveling together or four? This makes a difference because there are only certain resorts that will allow you to book five people in a 1 bd. Or are you looking for a 2 bd?

We have stayed at all three of those resorts. There really are pros and cons to each. My thoughts, for what they're worth :

OKW - By far the most space you'll get at any DVC resort. Enough that you really feel the difference compared to other resorts. It is a very relaxed, Jimmy Buffet type atmosphere. But it is very spread out, more like a huge condo complex. Multiple pools to choose from, but the only one with anything fun for kids is the main pool, and that can be a hike from some of the villas. OKW is rarely our first choice because of the pools, but if it's the only option we always enjoy our stay there.

SSR - Built very similarly to OKW - like a big condo complex. Lovely grounds. When you're there you really do feel the resort atmosphere. It is also right across the water from Downtown Disney, which may be an option if you're not going to the parks much. They have a movie theater, bowling alley, shops, etc. It is currently under construction, so things are a bit out of place, but still. We enjoy SSR's pools quite a bit, too. There are four pools - and all but one have fun stuff for kids. As a single parent, I would think you would also like these pools because it is much easier to keep track of all your kids at once. If you're in one spot, you can pretty much see the entire space. (I mention this because at Kidani this is not the case.)

AKV - This is the only resort (of your options) that has indoor access to rooms. It feels more like a hotel than a condo. In a 1 bd here you will get two bathrooms, which is nice! Also, the Community Hall is indoors here. If you get stuck inside due to the afternoon rains, this is a wonderful option to kill time. Your walk to the bus stop is also covered at AKV - again, nice if it's raining. The pool here is very nice - but there are different sections for kids to play and lots of landscaping that blocks your view of other sections.

All three resorts have benefits and you will have a great time no matter what! Enjoy! Let us know what you decide!

Oops! Now I see in your signature that you are indeed traveling with four children. But since the littlest one is only 1, I do think you are allowed to book a 1 bd. But I'm thinking that extra bathroom at AKV might be nice! Yep - if it were me, I'd think you'd like OKW for the space, AKV for the extra bath, or SSR for the pools. Good luck!

I would go SSR. SSR does have a QS option as Kidani does not. Also if you are driving parking close to your room is much easier at SSR over at Kidani it is a parking garage and can be quite a walk. SSR two main pools and close to DTD .Lastly SSR seems more like a weekend spot compared to Kidani which seems like a more long term stay. We are doing 16 days at Kidani in 6 weeks so we do like Kidani but not for a quick stop.

The one draw back to SSR could be the bus service.

As long as you are OK being a far bus ride from all the parks except animal kingdom, I would absolutely pick AKV. I haven't been to SSR but have done OKW.

AKV is our home resort and favorite by far. The savannah's whether from your room or not give a huge added bump to this resort. My older dd who is not a zoo/animal person even loves it there and is picking it for her first week on her own trip with her bf.

Love Mara for quick food. Love Boma for a buffet dinner. Great architecture, pools and outside views.

Just my 2 cents!

I would go SSR. SSR does have a QS option as Kidani does not. Also if you are driving parking close to your room is much easier at SSR over at Kidani it is a parking garage and can be quite a walk. SSR two main pools and close to DTD .Lastly SSR seems more like a weekend spot compared to Kidani which seems like a more long term stay. We are doing 16 days at Kidani in 6 weeks so we do like Kidani but not for a quick stop.

The one draw back to SSR could be the bus service.

We prefer the parking garage in the heat of summer at Kidani than an open parking lot at SSR. Parking is easy as you just park near the elevator closest to your room.

I think any of the resorts would work for your family. Since you have a one year old child the animals at AKV would be entertaining especially if you get a savanna view villa. You can get QS food at Kidani's pool or take the shuttle over to Jambo House for Mara which is a QS. OKW does have 2 beds in a studio, but only has elevators in a few buildings. The rest of buildings you have to use the stairs and since you will be traveling alone with the kids, it might be difficult to carry the one year old and the stroller up and down the stairs morning and night.

Any of the three have similar bus times except that OKW and SSR are quicker to get to EPCOT and AKV is quicker to get to DAK. The difference in bus times is that both OKW and SSR have multiple internal bus stops and AKV has two, one at Kidani and the other at Jambo House. BTW all park buses at Kidani also stop at Jambo House before heading out to the parks. So that is another way to get to Jambo House from Kidani to dine.

BTW, if you get a 1 BR at Kidani or OKW you will have beds for five since those rooms have a pull out chair in the living room. Or if you 1 year old will sleep in a pack n play any studio or 1BR would work for you.

First might I ask: You said it would be you and four children, but you listed the ages of only three children? Will there by five of you traveling together or four? This makes a difference because there are only certain resorts that will allow you to book five people in a 1 bd. Or are you looking for a 2 bd?

I am traveling with a total of 5. 1 adult 4 children ages 9, 5, a set of 1 year old twins. I am booking a studio, because my room count is 4 plus an infant. Thank you for all your help.

Thank you for all the insight. I went ahead and booked us a studio at SSR. We are traveling in March fort he kids Spring Break, and my DH will be there with us for that so we will be staying at our home resort AKL in a 1 bedroom. He wants to be there the first time we stay there. SSR seems to have more of what I am looking for. I can let the kids play on the various splash pads, and keep a watchful eye on them. We are not doing parks. We may drop by MNSSH party on Sept. 1. so the buses are not a big factor for me on this trip. Thanks again for all your comments and tips. They were much appreciated

Sending you pixiedust:with managing all your children on the buses by yourself. Would it be possible to take another adult along with you? You'd need a one bedroom at least (with another adult), but it might be more manageable.

Deb & Bill said:
Sending you pixiedust:with managing all your children on the buses by yourself. Would it be possible to take another adult along with you? You'd need a one bedroom at least (with another adult), but it might be more manageable.

Thank you. No takers on anyone wanting to come. My father lives in tampa so he may come down the day we go to mnsshp. I was able to reserve a room at blt for the night we go to mk for the party. Makes it easier to just walk to MK then to attempt a stroller and 2 infants on a bus. Our first 2 days there, we plan on relaxing and enjoying the features of ssr. The splash pads, pools, community center, game room, movies, and camp fires. We never take advantage of our resorts when we are there. We just returned from a stay at YC and the kids didn't even get to swim at stormalong bay!!!!! I am looking forward to some resort time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter