HELP ME DECIDE PLEASE!!! Stay at POFQ or upgrade to WL?!

littleladykaty

DIS Veteran
My fiance just gave me the option b/c I love the WL and want very much to stay there, but at the same time I've heard really great things about POFQ, especially for honeymooners!!!

Is the WL worth the $420-ish it will cost to upgrade?

I do NOT know what to do!

please any advice either way would be very appreciated!!!

Also, will changing to the WL effect our Free Dining? If so, then it's out!

Not sure about the free dining...

Having stayed at both resorts - I can tell you that either way you'll be thrilled.

POFQ was my favorite resort until we joined DVC. If we were not DVC members I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and again. It's a small resort, VERY quaint. The walk at night from the FQ to Riverside is very nice and romantic, you can make use of both resorts - both pools, etc. POFQ doesn't have a restaurant anymore - but again you can walk over to POR and eat at Boatwrights.

WL is majestic, breathtaking, dark but in a comforting way, awe inspiring, beautiful location, great theming. Romantic. 2 restaurants, snack bar etc.

Is it worth it to switch? YES - would it be a mistake if you stayed at POFQ - ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Only you can decide where you want to go. If I had to choose between the two I'd have a hard time :)

Come on people...I know y'all have opinions!!! If I'm going to do this I have to do it soon and I need some OPINIONS!!! please please please!!!

I would switch for the extra money. Convenience is what you get at WL, and that is worth the money for me. Cause POR is in the DTD area it is much farther to the parks especially to the MK. Plus its about 5 bus stops within POR-FQ, compared to two bus stop, sometimes and GF and sometimes at FOrt Willderness for WL. POR-FQ combined has over 3000 rooms compared with WL with just under 850 rooms. Meaning if you trying to catch a bus there will be alot more people and headaches getting on the bus. We stayed at CSR just this past week and we saw the lines for POR-FQ and they were incredible. Cause CSR is a convention resort there is not much people going to the parks. That just doesn't mean on the buses but lines at the food court, conceirge etc etc.

Everything is in one building at WL, you also have two table service resturants, you have interior hallways, a balcony where you can unwind on especially if you have a great view. Have you stayed at either or? I have stayed at a deleuxe and just this past vist stayed at a moderate and there is just a whole different level of experience.

Cause POR is a moderate resort it has exterior hallways, so for privacy you have all of your curtain drawn and its really hard waking up in the morning without natural sunlight coming in cause your windows are drawn.

I would switch not only for the convenience but for the resort itself, WL is a beautiful resort and it has many added benefits as a deluxe resort

Also you can upgrad your ressie since the deadline is June 4th. Even if the deadline is up since you do have reservation I think you still can make the change. I did this last year when free dining was offered.

that's what I'm talking about!!! THANK YOU!!!! Hmmm...what if we stayed at WL for our honeymoon and then next summer we'll stat at POFQ with his kids...good trade off and then I get to see POFQ too!!!

HAHA!!! I remember chatting with you a while ago about WL. Stay at WL!!!!! This is your honeymoon!!! It is soo romantic. I would not hesitate to stay there. If your FDH has given you the OK, well then book it! Next summer take the kids to POFQ. Your honeymoon is a very special time, for JUST THE 2 OF YOU! You might not have the opportunity again for a while, so take advantage of this opportunity. It really made our honeymoon so special. The resort is so romantic and close to MK. We ended up getting married at the Ritz-Carlton in Palm Beach, so we were way over budget. I had my heart set on the GF, but there was no way. I booked POFQ, but a few days before we left I changed it. DH was overwhelmed with WL. It was a deluxe and was sooo much cheaper than the others. There was one night we just sat in our room and watched the electric water parade from the balcony as we ate room service. It was just soooo romantic doing the simpliest little things.

We were originally booked at POFQ for late Sept-October. We lovePOFQ and have stayed there 4 times, every time wonderful!
We also have wanted to stay at WL for a while, when I checked the prices it was about the same amount as you for the upgrade. We felt that what we are saving with the free dining, well it is the perfect time to upgrade to a deluxe. Next time we might not have the free dining so not be so willing (or able) to afford the upgrade..
It is your honeymoon- go for the upgrade!

Bev!

thanks everybody...I've been hemming and hawing over this for days. And y'all are right...this IS our honeymoon, we might as well go deluxe! We do POFQ next summer...we ARE saving with free dining...

now, is getting a king bed room difficult at WL? :rotfl:

oh I'm so excited!!! I hope we can work it out!!!

I would just pay the extra money IT IS YOUR HONEYMOON!! I would pay whatever the cost lol. If the room is available then it will not have an affect on your free dining. You just have to see if the room is available with the promotion. Have a great honeymoon. You will love the Lodge. It is my favorite.

However, the only problem with that logic (staying at WL first then going to POFQ the following trip), is that once you stay at a deluxe and enjoy the sit down restaurants and the absolutely beautiful lobby, you will be slightly, only slightly disappointed staying at a mod. Mind you POFQ is my favorite because we love DTD. The bus from WL took us 45 min there (we also stopped at GF) and more like 1 1/2 hours back (waiting and waiting for one). We love to take the boat to DTD from POFQ. After staying at the WL, now I want to keep trying other deluxes and not return back to the mod. level.....If you can afford it, I would definitely splurge for the Deluxe, however I think that Poly might be more romantic. WL didn't have the romantic feel to me. WCC in the lobby area... everyone yelling for ketchup...riding "horses" through the restaurant...the triangle being rung... :rotfl2: The lobby area was very loud, but exciting to say the least. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Kind of silly for me to weigh in, having stayed at neither one, but I just saw the new pics of the new rooms at WL and I HATE them. I advise you take a peek before deciding. POFQ is much prettier and lighter in my opinion. I thought WL was dark BEFORE the rehab, and now it's ten times worse. So just make sure you check out the new pics in the new thread posted today before you decide! Good luck!

DW and I have always stayed at the WL and I would not trade it. We found the balcony very romantic and the mornings were equally great. The options for transportation are tremendous and yes some stops do take longer but if you are an MK fan then you will be happy. Epcot which is our favorite park takes a little longer to get to and from because it stops at the camp grounds. Good luck and enjoy your Honeymoon at WL, WE DID!!! :thumbsup2

My opinion is that they are both fantastic, but, you said it's your honeymoon. Go for WL. They have room service, balconies, a sit down restaurant. All are missing at POFQ. You can go to Boatwrights if you want at POR but it's hardly a romantic spot.

I've never stayed at either property (I'll be at POFQ in November), but I feel in love with the look of WL from the OUTSIDE when I took the boat from MK to FW. It looked like a gorgeous setting.

Unless that $420 is going to make a big difference in your life, SPLURGE ON YOUR HONEYMOON! My 15th anniversary is next month. My wife and I stayed at a gorgeous little resort in the Caribbean for our honeymoon. It cost more than we should have spent at the time, but 15 years later I can say it was worth every penny to splurge.

CONGRATULATIONS! party:

thanks everybody SO MUCH for your input...I really do appreciate the help! It isn't even really a competition is it? :rotfl: The $420 isn't going to break the bank even though DF is dying to "feel" like we are saving money somewhere! We already have an ADR at Artist Point...how easy would that be?! We will NOT be visiting WCC...not really our thing but I'm sure it's a rip roaring loud experience...we'll enjoy it from a distance!

anyhow...thanks all for the help!

Katems said:
Kind of silly for me to weigh in, having stayed at neither one, but I just saw the new pics of the new rooms at WL and I HATE them. I advise you take a peek before deciding. POFQ is much prettier and lighter in my opinion. I thought WL was dark BEFORE the rehab, and now it's ten times worse. So just make sure you check out the new pics in the new thread posted today before you decide! Good luck!

Most of the time it not at all times your curtains are drawn at a moderate. I found that CSR was much much darker than WL. I don't even find WL dark at all and have stayed there twice now. The balcony "window" is huge which brings in alot of light. Beside that I find that there are more light options at WL than a moderate.

Gotta throw my .02 in....we've stayed at both resorts, love them both...but I would recommend Port Orleans BIG TIME! Why pay deluxe rates for a hotel that's not on the monorail? You'll be riding the same buses that service the All-Stars!!!!

Consider:they both are beautiful.
they both have a sitdown restaurant (okay, WL has another really expensive one, but are you gonna pay big bucks to eat there more than once, with so many dining options in the World? Puh-leeeze!)
they both have really neat-o swimming pools.
and, as we mentioned above, they have the same buses.

BUT WL will cost you an extra $100 or so per night. Do your hubby a favor and help him stress out a little less, so he doesn't count pennies for your entire vacation. Go to PO and I promise you will have a fantastic time. It really is our favorite Disney resort!

Another vote for WL. We stayed @ WL 10 years ago on our Honeymoon. It was perfect. Loved that we did deluxe, but still a very casual resort. You are probably saving about that with free dining, go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter