Help me decide...is it time to visit the "dark" side? :)

WDWFWfan

Dreaming of Disney...
Okay, I'm a long time Disney guest having visited at the WDW resort numerous times in the last 40 years. However I have always stayed at Fort Wilderness Resort. Simply put, we LOVE the Fort. In fact, we have ressies there for two weeks in Oct. this year.

Then, I noticed that Disney is offering the free dining plan during our time frame. After having checked it appears that we can stay at Port Orleans with a "plus" dining plan for about the same cost of staying at the Fort. Our trip to the Fort would be in our pop-up with only partial hookups and would require eating one meal at the campground each day and a counter service meal in the parks.

However if we stayed at a different resort (POFQ) we would have the dining plan and could eat whatever we desire.

My question is, is it worth it? Since we have never stayed anywhere else other than the Fort, we are apprehensive that we might not enjoy ourselves anywhere else and that we will miss the "magic" of the Fort.

What do you think? I would love to hear opinions from those who have done both. Thanks!

If you stay at PO Riverside (instead of FQ), you will enjoy an outdoors/rustic feel at that resort, very similiar to the fort. We like it as much as most of the Deluxe Level resorts. The grounds are beautiful and the Pool area is awesome. They have a campfire pit, carriage rides, boat and surrey bike rentals, fishing hole, and a ferry to DTD. We love both Ft Wilderness And Riverside for many of the same reasons. When you can get a deal like the one you discribed... there is nothing to think about. Try PO Riverside; you'll be glad you did. (If you think you'll miss the fort too much, just plan a visit into your itinerary). Have fun.

Thanks for advice. I just tried to make a ressie and discovered that the room that was available about an hour ago is now booked...oh well.

Free dining has been the Siren's Song that has lured other campers like yourself away from the Fort.

If you stay at the fort, you are true to the Code. pirate:

If you take free dining, that leaves room at the fort for me. :thumbsup2

So do what u want.

Bama ed

We thought about that too, but when we looked at the times it only showed 6 days, can you stay longer under that offer with free dining...

Do you spend more time in the parks or at the resort ? A resort can get boring, the Fort is never boring.

We have stayed at all levels of Disney hotels and have never been as happy as we are at the Fort! After a long day in the parks We love just driving to our door instead of hiking back to our room. It's like being at home with WDW in your back yard! Best of both worlds !!!!! POR is pretty and we enjoyed it. Hated AKL and Pop was fun..... We never want to go back to a hotel again! Last trip DGD kept begging to go back to the camper and cried when I explainer I left it at home.lol we are doing DXDDP and forgetting free dining! Everyone is happy with the decision!:grouphug:

I say give a Disney hotel a try. If you don't, you might always wish you had. Before we got an rv, we stayed at Disney resorts, so I know my choices. However, our youngest daughter, who doesn't remember much of our precamper days, does say she would like to try the hotels one day, (and I see why-they do look gorgeous when you pass by them).

Nothing wrong with trying new things. You will either get it out of your system or love it.

I stayed at Dixie Landings years ago. It is now Port Orleans Riverside.
I really did enjoy that resort. It was beautiful. Lots of room to walk around and explore the grounds.
I have not visited since the change.

You could get the free dining by staying in a cabin, that way you would still be at the Fort.
You can start your stay on a free dining day and will be able to get it for the rest of your trip no matter how long or if they are blacked out days.

I have strayed to other resorts but I am much more happier at the Fort. When I strayed it would be for quick trips. The Fort is just so relaxing in a place where there is so much excitment!

We stayed at POR on our first ever Disney family vacation (2008). It was beautiful and I loved the wooded pathways, pools, everything about it. We are staying at FW Cabins for the first time this year and we got free dining for our stay (this was an earlier promotion from last August). So you CAN get the dining plan at the Cabins I just don't think there are a lot of QS options. We also pre-order a few groceries from WeGo Shop and they are delivered to the resort. Very convenient and saves on snacks/meals that aren't covered by the dining plan.

It sounds like POR would be a great option for you and from what I've read the atmosphere sounds somewhat "comparable" to the FW Cabins. My family cannot wait to experience the Cabins next month - yippee!! :banana:

Good luck - hope you are able to get the deal.

Michelle

We bought APs back in early '08. Took a 12 day Fort trip in January/February and then sold the TT a month later to build a house.

So, we decided to make a couple of long weekend trips during the summer. During Star Wars weekend, we stayed at the All-Star Movies one night and then the Contemporary two nights. Then in August, we stayed at POFQ for a long weekend.

Both stays were very nice and I'd recommend it at least once. But when we were leaving POFQ for home, the entire family said, "We don't care to come back until we get another camper."

We've done it both ways many times since we first pitched a tent at the Fort in 1980. The Fort is still our favorite, but we also enjoyed the other resorts. One warning about the dining plan - it can be a LOT of food, and could lead to some uncomfortable days!

Thanks for advice. I just tried to make a ressie and discovered that the room that was available about an hour ago is now booked...oh well.

If you really want to stay at The Fort, I would want to. You can always book a cabin. The free dining perk is available for the cabins.

Its a little different for us because often times when we go to the Fort, we don't hit the parks at all. We're going just to hang around the world and for that the absolute BEST option is FW. This next trip is our first as AP holders and cost was a big factor as well (without buying tickets, there's no doubt having food we prepare ourselves is infinitely less expensive then dining all three meals in the parks)!

I like the "coming home" feel of the fort and have strayed a few times in the last several decades, but FW is, was, and will always be my home resort. I say, if the room becomes available, go for it:thumbsup2. The Fort will be there for you next time and there actually ARE advantages to resort rooms...like Housekeeping:goodvibes. There's nothing stopping you from taking the boat over to FW to eat or even go to the campfire sing-a-long if you are so inclined. It could be the best of both worlds.

This has answered a question I was wondering about. As we are planning our 1st WDW trip for Aug 13th-Aug 27th 2012 and will be staying at the fort at the moment we are planning on using our 3 room tent. But was not sure if free dining became available if it was included with sites now that answered my question. So if free dining is for that time may upgrade to a cabin. Really want to stay in the fort. This board is awesome.:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter