Help me Decide-Disney After Surgery

Kitzer

Budding Guitarist
I booked a great 10 day stay at CSR for early June 2009. Then I end up needing back surgery in March :sick:. Doc says I can still make June trip but I would be limited on energy, plus I can only ride non-jarring rides (NO TOT, No Roller coasters, No Dinosaur, etc). We are really looking forward to CSR and I know theres plenty to do at WDW without going on thrill rides. Plus if parks get to be too much I figured I could cruise on back to resort and chill. This is our fifth summer in a row and we love the late hours at parks and the "hot time in the summer" with everyone hanging out having fun. I'm just worried that it's gonna be too much too soon after surgery.

Second scenario would be to postpone until early November. Weather would be nicer, I'll be more up to the trip physically (still no jarring rides though). parks not as crowded- The only bummer is parks close early and not as much going on.

Any thoughts? Go in June or delay until November? :confused:

I booked a great 10 day stay at CSR for early June 2009. Then I end up needing back surgery in March :sick:. Doc says I can still make June trip but I would be limited on energy, plus I can only ride non-jarring rides (NO TOT, No Roller coasters, No Dinosaur, etc). We are really looking forward to CSR and I know theres plenty to do at WDW without going on thrill rides. Plus if parks get to be too much I figured I could cruise on back to resort and chill. This is our fifth summer in a row and we love the late hours at parks and the "hot time in the summer" with everyone hanging out having fun. I'm just worried that it's gonna be too much too soon after surgery.

Second scenario would be to postpone until early November. Weather would be nicer, I'll be more up to the trip physically (still no jarring rides though). parks not as crowded- The only bummer is parks close early and not as much going on.

No offense ore disrespect but I would ask this question on the Disabilleties board here.
The people there know much more about this and maybe can help you out with a solution.

As much as I would like to go to WDW anytime, I would delay until September. Even foregoing the rides, the standing alone might be unbearable. I had a disc problem around 2004, and went to Universal. I did not expect the problems and discomfort I had. By the time we left, my back was throbbing. Yes, I regretted it.

Good luck with the recovery.

November. Cooler. Possibly better rates. No surcharge at buffets (if you were planning any). First half of the month, you still have the Food & Wine Festival along with the concert series, and, um, what was that other thing... oh, if you go at the VERY beginning of the month, you may be able to get in on the last MNSSHP.

The 4 extra months you will have by going in November will make the world of difference for your back and your tolerance of standing and walking. November is a nice time to go and when we've been the Christmas decorations were up already.

I have had back surgery. What type of surgery did you have? I think it would be a good idea to postpone your trip. There is so much walking involved and being on pavement for hours is not going to be very comfortable. Not only will you get tired, you will be putting a strain on your back.

Best Wishes to you. :goodvibes

My thought would be to postpone the trip until November or even the first part of 2010. If I can't ride the E-ticket rides, I might as well go to the beach. Hope you recover 100%.pixiedust:

I would wait until November. Give your back more time to heal. Besides, Disney is beautiful when it is decorated for Christmas. :cool2:

Your back is for the rest of your life- Disney will be there, take care of yourself and you will enjoy it more.

:thanks: Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and intuition. It's nice to hear from some of you who have been in November. It sounds like a great time to go. I will probably opt for Nov. but now I'm thinking I'd probably have to do Thanksgiving week so kids don't miss too much school.

I am seeing the Neurosurgeon (who also vacations at Disney) this Friday for 1 month followup. Since he's familair with the demands of Disney vacation I am going to feel him out again. Since my surgery was cervical (ACDF 2Lev), I don't have leg or walking issues. I'm up to 3-4 miles a day on treadmill now.

(The surgeon actually thought it was amusing that after he told me I needed major spine surgery, the bulk of my questions revolved around which Disney rides I would still be able to go on. :rolleyes: :tongue: )

Well, here is my 2 cents for what its worth.

I broke my ankle right around New Years of this year. I had surgery and everything, and the Doc thinks I won't make a FULL recovery until 6 months out, meaning I'm not supposed to do major exercise until the end of June.

Having said that, I am still going to Disney the first week of June. I know an ankle isn't the same as a back, and I've never had back surgery or back problems, so I really don't know what that is like. I'm just going to take it easy, and if my ankle is bothering me, I'll just take breaks and go back to our resort (CSR as well). My boyfriend doesn't like to travel comando like me anyway, so maybe a soar ankle will slow me down more to his liking anyway.:lmao:

We had the trip planned for a while, I just couldn't bear to postpone it...ankle problems or not. I would say talk to the doctor, and see what he says.:confused3: If he thinks you'll be ok, go for it. Just listen to your body and take it easy when you need to. It sounds like CSR will be a nice place just to hang out and chill anyway.

I also had a 2 level disc fusion C4 - C6. I would wait.

I went to disney a few months after surgery because I felt wonderful, all that pain was gone. However, it only took one ride (Alladin's flying carpets no less) to do me in for the rest of the trip. It's amazing how tired I was after a few hours in the heat. We didn't do near as much as we thought because I was lying down in the room so much.

:thanks: Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and intuition. It's nice to hear from some of you who have been in November. It sounds like a great time to go. I will probably opt for Nov. but now I'm thinking I'd probably have to do Thanksgiving week so kids don't miss too much school.

I am seeing the Neurosurgeon (who also vacations at Disney) this Friday for 1 month followup. Since he's familair with the demands of Disney vacation I am going to feel him out again. Since my surgery was cervical (ACDF 2Lev), I don't have leg or walking issues. I'm up to 3-4 miles a day on treadmill now.

(The surgeon actually thought it was amusing that after he told me I needed major spine surgery, the bulk of my questions revolved around which Disney rides I would still be able to go on. :rolleyes: :tongue: )

Hi Kitzer:

I agree with the November thought... give your back plenty of time to heal... just be aware that the crowds REALLY pick up at Thanksgiving. Last year my sister arrived on Thanksgiving and we arrived the following day. Parks were very crowed until Sunday. I do not know how they compare with the summer but I'm sure others can provide you that bit of information.

Have a Great Trip,

Mark

I agree that waiting til November would probably be the best route. I dislocated my knee 5 days before my trip to Disneyland last Decemebr and it really put a dent in the trip. I had to rent a scooter and even with that I was exhausted by mid-day, your body will still be healing in June and that takes a lot of energy. Plus I had my leg in an immbolizer so I couldn't go on a lot of rides because I just couldn't get in the seat. So if you wait even though you can't go on really jarring rides you may have some more ride options then you would have in June. And like others have said, your back is there for the rest of your life, don't risk it for a vacation. Hope you feel better soon. :wizard:

how about an elecric skooter you can rent off line for 24 hrs.we used one after surgrey it help a lot.

Well, here is my 2 cents for what its worth.

I broke my ankle right around New Years of this year. I had surgery and everything, and the Doc thinks I won't make a FULL recovery until 6 months out, meaning I'm not supposed to do major exercise until the end of June.

Having said that, I am still going to Disney the first week of June.
We had the trip planned for a while, I just couldn't bear to postpone it...ankle problems or not. I would say talk to the doctor, and see what he says.:confused3: If he thinks you'll be ok, go for it. Just listen to your body and take it easy when you need to. It sounds like CSR will be a nice place just to hang out and chill anyway.

Mellybeans, even though I know Novembers probably the right answer :teacher:, you're the only one saying what I want to hear :listen:. I'll tell you what, if I go in June I'll look for you, we'll make quite a site-you limping around and me walking stiff like a zombie. :laughing:

I also had a 2 level disc fusion C4 - C6. I would wait.
I went to disney a few months after surgery because I felt wonderful, all that pain was gone. However, it only took one ride (Alladin's flying carpets no less) to do me in for the rest of the trip.

2manypets, that blows me away that Alladin was the cause of your pain :eek:. Since you can emphathize , I'm going to take that to heart. Weird thing is, Doc already told me I'd be ok on Kilmajaro Safari which is way more bouncing around than Alladin. I'm not even going to be fully fused by then, now I'm really scared :scared:

I agree with the November thought... give your back plenty of time to heal... just be aware that the crowds REALLY pick up at Thanksgiving.

Bigmoon, thanks for the heads up, I was worried about that plus I imagine airline travel is much higher that week. Would rather go in early Nov, but DD will be Senior and that would be too much school missed.

I'm so sorry about your back and limited plans.

November's weather is going to be far more cool than the summer. Only you and your doctor can make the final decision, however.

I can give you a little insight to scooter rentals.

I am married to a former Commando-Mode Disney visitor. He has calmed a bit to smell the roses...but he has alway had great energy.

This year I had an achilles tendon injury I was pampering and could not have walked from the lobby to the room without pain.

DH rented me a scooter. It was from Scootarama - done online - delivered to Riverside and picked up at Boardwalk Inn.

SAVED the vacation

I had a Pride Revo which broke down into enough pieces to carry easily in the Trunk (to avoid dealing with the busses). Ride the Ferry to the Magic Kingdom -- it was just MAGIC.

I actually found it to be GREAT fun but we were there the first week of December and NOBODY was in the parks. I could easily scoot anywhere I wanted with the exception of the Magic Kingdom one night.

You will carry everything for everyone which makes their lives far easier. Sodas and cameras in the front basket. I had made a fabric pouch which attached to the back - we carried my cane, jackets, gloves, etc. It was so very convenient.

With a few exceptions, people are VERY accommodating. I had a big black walking boot - wrapped in Christmas garland....I had decorated the scooter with a bike bell and a little pink squeaky horn and the castmembers at International Gateway looked for me each night.

I raced the Friendship boats to the bridge --- they let me win.

"Butt and Belt" level gives you a chance to see a different crowd.....the Children. 99.99% of the time they were so curious about my scooter....they wanted to ring the bell and honk the horn. Waiting for fireworks or parades was so muich fun playing with the children.

I took a few minutes when we first arrived to practice with the new scooter so I was comfortable handling it.....backing up in to tight places....turning in and out along the sidewalks surrounding Riversides Manions. Be sure you are comfortable operating the scooter before you venture out into crowds.

Warnings --

* It's not easy in a crowd. I actually had a Photographer's Assistant push me into one of the tracks where my front wheel became stuck. DH enlightened him to his error and they helped free the scooter.

* Bring your patience: you will be at "belt and butt" level and some people just will not notice you. You will have to be on your toes when it's crowded.

DECORATE your scooter - it's fun and it makes others smile. DH sometimes could not find me but he could always hear the squeak of the horn or jingle of the bell.

I remember passing a couple smiling as DH and I reinacted the race of War Admiral and Sea Biscuit (I was the Biscuit, of course) as we climbed the hill toward the bridge near International Gateway.

If you have a handicapped plackard (I have a temporary one), you will be eligible for FREE valet service at the hotels which offer valet. That was WONDERFUL. There was always someone to help DH take the scooter out of the car, etc.

You may find you cannot do as much as you have in the past. You will also discover magic you had not experienced before.....children, gentle care from your DH...and hey....your feet will not be burning at the end of the night!!!

""2manypets, that blows me away that Alladin was the cause of your pain . Since you can emphathize , I'm going to take that to heart. Weird thing is, Doc already told me I'd be ok on Kilmajaro Safari which is way more bouncing around than Alladin. I'm not even going to be fully fused by then, now I'm really scared""

Kitzer, I don't mean to scare you. DH had control of the movements on Alladin and he zigged while I zagged.

I'm just saying do be careful. It also depends on if the doctor gave you an internal "brace" or external. With the internal (can't remember what it's called, but it looks like a hinge and bolts to you existing vertabrae to create stability) it's a lot more stable and you'll be able to do more.

I'm so sorry about your back and limited plans. I can give you a little insight to scooter rentals.

This year I had an achilles tendon injury I was pampering and could not have walked from the lobby to the room without pain.

DH rented me a scooter. SAVED the vacation
Thanks for all the great scooter info-it sounds like it was a real life saver on your trip. I haven't really considered it though because I am not immobile and would feel guilty using one. I've been doing about three miles a day on treadmill and therapist actually said walking was the best way to build stamina and muscle strength. So I'm just gonna hoof it for as long as I can. :tiptoe: :faint:

Kitzer, I don't mean to scare you. DH had control of the movements on Alladin and he zigged while I zagged.

I'm just saying do be careful. It also depends on if the doctor gave you an internal "brace" or external. With the internal (can't remember what it's called, but it looks like a hinge and bolts to you existing vertabrae to create stability) it's a lot more stable and you'll be able to do more.

Ah ha the ole zig zag manevuer-that'll get you very time :)
Yes I have the internal plates and I have a hard collar for eight weeks up until a week before I'm supposed to leave.

I used to process disability claims and I can tell you that a fusion surgery takes a lot of recovery time and if you don't let your body heal you can do worse damage. I would wait till November at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter