Help me decide between Disneyland or DCL!

KalamityJane

DIS Veteran
We currently have Disneyland annual passes. We have been in Feb and just got back yesterday from Disneyland. I have one of the 5 night Mexican cruises out of San Diego booked in October and we will also be on the WBPC in May 2016.

I'm currently trying to decide between another DL trip in between now and February or to just go on the 5 night cruise (if we didn't go, that 5nt cruise deposit would be put towards the WBPC). We have not been on a Disney cruise before or cruised with the kids, and my youngest would be too young to go into the kid's clubs, he turns 3 in February.

That being said, you would have thought I was torturing them by taking them to Disneyland (kids AND hubs). They loved the rides, it was not hot weather, they swam, etc. but it was just a huge whinefest and is making me seriously not want to go back to DL any time soon. Kids are 6.5, 4 and 2 currently.

We surprised them and told them the morning we went to DL and the first words out of their mouths were "When do we go on the Disney boat?" *bag*

So - what would you do? Would cruising be a better fit? The things they disliked were waiting in lines (we did rider swap, and fastpasses whenever we could, longest they waited was 20 min), and walking. They loved the swimming in the Grand Cali's pool/slides. They were constantly asking for food. I think part of the reason they were so grumpy is that they are all in the middle of a massive growth spurt and that always wreaks havoc.

They really would like to go on a Halloween cruise, as they adore Jack Skellington/NBC. We may try for a few days pre cruise to DL if we do the 5 nt cruise.

:D I do - I guess I am trying to justify getting annual passes and only using them twice. Hubs and I have cruised Royal Caribbean prekids so I know it's a pretty amazing vacation (mainly for the all inclusive aspect and general relaxation)

My DD was 15 at the time we took our first DCL cruise. However the reason we went on the first cruise is because I was kind of tired of going on vacation and having everyone at odds. First you decide where to eat the first meal while on the road. What a discussion, what we feel like eating, what we can eat that will agree with our tummies for the next period of driving. Then once you get back on the road and drive five hours, then it's time to go through the same thing for dinner. Nevermind where to stay, what time to get up and leave to start the whole thing over.

Ok, so the parks. What to ride, the lines, the food costs, the missing nap time or just having to wait in long lines, the heat and humidity, the people that cut in lines. Then there's the crowded beach or pools that have the kids that are detractors for a great time.

If you are close to Disneyland, you can pop over and take a day or two. If not, you might reevaluate the pass thing in the future.

Don't get me wrong, we love the parks. Actually went to WDW 3 different times last year. But, of course we were hitting the cruise afterward.

I just see the cruise as a great vacation for kids, and a fantastic vacation for adults. Parents don't run anything on the cruise, very little decisions and the staff (CM) are great with the kids and adults. As you can see from my signature, 24 cruise, 20 in the last 4 years, and my DD has only been on 10 with my DW and myself. So we think it's great for adults only also.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think I would want to get more than just two visits out of the annual passes too.

Last edited:
Go back to DLR without the kids. That way you and your DH can get more use out of your annual passes. Then give the kids an "incentive" -- if they're helpful around the house (or whatever parameters you set) then you'll take them on a Disney cruise.

A five-day cruise would work well as a "starter" cruise with the kids, so you'll get an idea of whether they'll enjoy it. They should enjoy it, but since they whined about DLR, who knows. You wouldn't wanna be stuck for 14 days on a cruise where everyone is complaining. Then again, you could just cruise with DH.

They really would like to go on a Halloween cruise, as they adore Jack Skellington/NBC. We may try for a few days pre cruise to DL if we do the 5 nt cruise.

This is what I would do. With APs, there's no incremental daily admission cost for the days at DL. You should be able to get a fairly inexpensive hotel within walking distance. We don't really like shorter vacations, so I'd probably plan 2-3 days at DL before heading to San Diego for the cruise. That way you get a little taste of both in your vacation - and it gives you a better comparison to determine which type of Disney experience works best for your family.

Yeah, I was looking back through pictures from our Feb trip, I think I am going to plan another trip to DLR, possibly not until right before they expire (2yo should be 40" then and 6yo would be 7 so could ride alone which would help immensely in keeping everyone happy) and plan on the 5nt cruise as well.

We're big Disney fans (me and my husband). Got married at WDW, DVC Members, etc. You would think our daughter would be too....wrong. Don't get me wrong, she has fun but she's the same way as your kids. Just wants to go to the pool, eat and shop. Our last trip to WDW was April 2014 and Disneyland April 2015. The last trip to DL was not so magical. Lines were just beyond long, even with a fast pass and to tell you the truth, even I got tired of the waiting, long lines, etc. A month or so after that trip, we booked a Disney Cruise! When we told our daughter, she was so excited. More so than any WDW or DL trip. We have shown her videos on you tube and other things and she just can't wait. We're doing the 7 day Eastern Carribean on the Fantasy next year. IMO, I think just do the DCL. Try something new.

I love Disneyland, but hands down, if I had to pick just one, I'd be on the boat. Nobody every whines on the Disney Cruise. Not even me.

Another vote for Disney cruise! We live close to DL and have taken each of our kids once--around age 3. Each trip was filled with whining, crying, etc. Our kids hate lines and preferred legoland at that age. The older ones are now 9 and prefer US. All of them LOVE the Disney cruises. Mom and dad are happy because everyone is happy-- lines are never really all that long, kid friendly fare is available all the time, more relaxed atmosphere. We can't wait till our next cruise this summer!

If you did 2 trips to DL your APs have basically paid for themselves. If leaving out of San Diego, maybe a couple of days in the parks beforehand?

Yay, I'm super excited now :) So I have another question then... we will be in Florida in Sept/Oct sometime. I do not have a cruise booked out of Florida (just the ones out of San Diego) but it definitely would be more cost effective as far as plane tickets to cruise out of PC or Miami, especially on a GT rate. Kicker is, we have 5 people. Is it worth our while to hope for 2 GT rate rooms on the Dream/Fantasy/Magic or stick with the San Diego cruise (opening day prices)?

Yay, I'm super excited now :) So I have another question then... we will be in Florida in Sept/Oct sometime. I do not have a cruise booked out of Florida (just the ones out of San Diego) but it definitely would be more cost effective as far as plane tickets to cruise out of PC or Miami, especially on a GT rate. Kicker is, we have 5 people. Is it worth our while to hope for 2 GT rate rooms on the Dream/Fantasy/Magic or stick with the San Diego cruise (opening day prices)?
Another thread has been talking about GT rates and getting 2 connecting cabins. From what they say it can be difficult. If you don't care about connecting then it's more doable. Look on the threads talking about GT rates to get a better idea what's possible.

There are usually some *GT discounts between September and December except for the holiday cruises. It will probably be July or August before the discounts are out there. I have a thread that you can check for discounts.

Disney Cruise!! Much more relaxing and the kids will have great fun in the kids club, giving you a chance to relax. Lots of activities for the kids, the adults and the whole family! Additionally if kids get sick, whiny, etc etc, the bed room (home) is only a few floors away at all times! Since you already tried DL without fantastic results, give the DCL a try and then you'll know what works best in the future and additionally by the time another trip rolls around even if it is DL, the kids will be a wee bit older! :)

Go on the cruise, it's a wonderful experience. DCL is truly like no other cruise line. Happy sailing!

My kids have been to WDW and DL and they love them both. They've been on DCL 3 times. We took them to DL over Christmas vacation and you know what we heard the whole time?! "I wish we were on the Disney boat". We currently have 2 cruises booked and zero park trips.

We are huge fans of both DL (annual passports) & WDW, but hands down, we prefer the cruise. It is so much more relaxing, the food is way better and the entertainment is outstanding. If there is any whining, it is when we have to disembark at the end of the cruise! The kids clubs are really good and age appropriate. My daughter is a huge fan of the characters and on the ship she can have plenty of time with them versus the parks. They have a character board in the lobby telling when and where the characters will be. So much easier than fighting the crowds at the park. You simply cannot beat the service on the ship, while it seems service is no longer a priority at DL/WDW. Have fun on your cruise!

You simply cannot beat the service on the ship, while it seems service is no longer a priority at DL/WDW. Have fun on your cruise!

Agreed. I think DL/WDW has great service, and yet their service is lousy compared to the ships! I find myself so spoiled with DCL service that I really feel the WDW castmembers are subpar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter