Help me Critique my new Itinerary!

VioletSparkles

Mouseketeer
First timer for Disney World here! My husband and I are taking my daughter for 4 nights in September. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside and we have the deluxe dining plan (my husband is food critic so yes we know it's a lot of food but it's a must: not for work just for pleasure!) so we have a lot of ADR's.
Being that my daughter will be 2.5 at the time our trip I don't expect to be able to do long days at the park. We want this to be a fun leisurely vacation and don't have the intention to do and see everything (we will back after all!). Returning to the resort for a nap around 2 to 3 is a must!

Last week I posted asking for help on my original itinerary and found from some Disney vets that it made no sense! I seriously underestimated how much time we would need for traveling to the parks and how long meals would take. Unfortunately I'm a little stuck with what is available in regards to ADR's (there is not much available at this point at all) but I'd appreciate any input you may have on what could make this trip better IE tell me to skip certain ADR's and shoot for a quick service option (recommendations welcome!)

Monday: flight arrives to oralndo at 9:15am head to Epcot
ADR : 2pm Via Napoli Ristorante then head back to hotel for nap
Port Orleans Carriage Ride: 630pm
ADR: Le Cellier at 8:30

Tuesday: ADR: Crystal Palace at 9:30 > considering trading this for an 8:55 kona cafe reservation but my daughter really likes Pooh Bear
leave park around 2 to arrive to hotel for nap around 3
ADR: 1900 Park fare at 6:15
MNSSHP: 7pm (whenever we get there after dinner and plan to stay until park closes)

Wednesday: Rest Day (figure we will need to sleep in after Halloween Party) Just hanging out at our resort until we leave for MK around 4pm
Daughter's first ever hair cut! Harmony Barber Shop at 5pm
ADR: Be Our Guest at 6:50

Thursday: 1/2 day at Animal Kingdom
The only ADR I could get was Tuskerhouse for 10:45... thinking it may be better to just explore quick service options BUT this would be our only opportunity for a meal with Mickey so I'm considering keeping it! Thoughts on this welcome
Leave to get back to our hotel for 3ish
ADR: CRT at 6:50pm stay at the park until close

Friday: ADR: Hollywood and Vine at 9:30
no ADR but would like to hit Pizza planet (husband and daughter LOVE Toy Story).
Flight home at 7pm

You'll only have about an hour and a half to tour Epcot. That's just not nearly enough time. My family generally spends about 20 hours there each trip and we still have to skip some things. I would skip the carriage ride, the nap, and at least one of the ADRs. Really, I would ditch both of them. There are some really great counter service choices in Epcot. Why not spend the day snacking around the world?

Also, If you eat at LeCellier at 8:30, you'll miss IllumiNations (which you really should see.)

Tuesday: ADR: Crystal Palace at 9:30 > considering trading this for an 8:55 kona cafe reservation but my daughter really likes Pooh Bear
MNSSHP: 7pm (whenever we get there after dinner and plan to stay until park closes)

For timing reasons, I don't love either of the breakfast choices, but I would definitely not do Kona at 8:55. That will put you arriving at the park at 10:30. At least with CP at 9:30, you'll be able to get one or two rides in before breakfast. Either way you're robbing yourself of the best hours to be in the park. Seriously, you can get more done in the first three hours than you will for the entire rest of the day.

Wednesday: Rest Day (figure we will need to sleep in after Halloween Party) Just hanging out at our resort until we leave for MK around 4pm

Seems fine.

The only ADR I could get was Tuskerhouse for 10:45... thinking it may be better to just explore quick service options BUT this would be our only opportunity for a meal with Mickey so I'm considering keeping it! Thoughts on this welcome

I would probably choose Counter service, but if your daughter would enjoy the Character meal then keep it. The timing is good.

no ADR but would like to hit Pizza planet (husband and daughter LOVE Toy Story).
Flight home at 7pm

That's fine. Normally I would suggest trying to get a later breakfast, but then you wouldn't be ready to eat at Pizza Planet before you need to leave the park. Just a warning though: the pizza is pretty terrible. The salads are okay, though.

Honest opinion, you may be cutting it close for the Le Cellier ressie at 8:30.

Tuesday, wow, you really won't be doing anything much but eating here.

Wednesday, haircut at 5, bog at 6:50 . .. again, might be cutting it close.

Thurs park open at 9, in line for ADR at 10:25, out of park at 2 . . again, you'll basically do nothing but eat this day.

It is a great plan if all you really intend to do is eat. I don't think you are going to manage to do very many attractions though.

As others have expressed your trip seems to be all about the ADR. You've got no real time in Epcot..........and your 1/2 AK day is cut in half again by another ADR. We did an all inclusive ADR trip back a few years ago and found it exhausting (but that was us). For our last trip in Sept 2014 we paired down our ADR's a lot and had much more park time and fun :D There's just so much to do at WDW and your dining plan seems to be cutting into all of that. Hey its your trip......you know your family best...............wishing a magical vacation pixiedust:

Doug :goofy:

I think everyone gets caught up int he "food" the first few times they go because they want to try everything. What we have found: more than 2 meals a day spaced fairly far apart, is too much food. Its breakfast/Dinner or early lunch/late dinner. It just kills time to spend so much time eating if you are someone who doesnt want to miss things. Even with FP+ bookings, it is still limited working around such an aggressive food schedule.

If I were spending what MNSSHP costs, I'd cancel the 1900 Park Fare ADR get there when they start letting ticket-holders in (I think 4).

I would either skip the carriage ride at POR or move your Le Cellier up and do it after dinner. After a travel day, my kids most likely wouldn't want to go back out after being at the hotel. But then again, they would be a mess for an 8pm dinner. Will she stroller nap? We walked around the WS and the girls napped for over an hour. Then head back to the hotel for the carriage ride. I would probably switch to a reservation at Boatwrights instead of going back to Epcot for dinner.

I would also skip 1900 and just head to the park for the party. Grab a quick service meal (Columbia Harbor House) and then get your money's worth of party stuff

I would skip the carriage ride and try to stay in the park if she will sleep in the stroller for her nap. You won't arrive at the park until at least 11:30 so you will want more time to tour Epcot. I would cancel LeCellier and see Illuminations if you can

If your daughter loves Pooh keep the ADR, just make sure you FP plus any attractions you must ride since you are missing some prime touring hours. Skip 1900 PF and go straight to MK for the party. Eat CS.

this looks fine. Will you be staying for Wishes?

I like the Tusker House Ressie. Gives you almost 2 hours to ride in the morning PLUS you get the benefit of both the breakfast and lunch buffets. CRT sounds great!

Flight home at 7pm

Unless your daughter LOVES the characters at H&V you can cancel this and get more rides in at RD.

I agree with a lot of what has already been shared. When we went the first time we had a ton of ADR's as well and I felt like we rushed from meal to meal and didn't really get a chance to enjoy or experience the parks. Epcot is a 2 day deal for us, there is so much to see and do there!! You also have to remember that you are depending on transportation to get you to where you need to be. There were times last week when we were there when we waited up to 45 minutes on a bus, it was a nightmare! We were late to our dinner at Yachtsman but thankfully made it within their 15 minute late rule, otherwise they would have cancelled our reservation! Give yourself a little more time to really enjoy your time there!! :)

Sorry, but I do not love your itinerary. Basically, a visitor to WDW can only do two of the following: ride lots of rides, eat lots of food, take lots of naps. Very difficult to do all three. Your itinerary has a lot of food and rest, but with all the travel time between parks and ADRs and afternoon naps, you're not going to see a lot of the parks, which for me is by far the number one reason to go to WDW. Unfortunately it sounds like there's not much available, so you have difficult choices.

Via Napoli and Le Cellier are by far my favorite restaurants at Epcot. But like others have said, you've got too much going on with the Carriage Ride, and you'll miss Illuminations with an 8:30pm ADR, but that might be all you could get.

Your two 9:30am park ADRs are during prime ride hours. The rides will have the lowest lines during the first hour, you can do so many rides before the parks start getting crowded. You could get much more done if you go to the park at 9am and then had early lunch at 11am (like your Tusker House ADR). Then you could do a few more rides/FPs after lunch before heading back for naptime.

Your Wednesday morning is wide open, maybe you could move your 1900 Park Faire dinner to a late breakfast ~11am? Or have a late breakfast somewhere else? Like others said, your 1900PF dinner is overlapping the MNSSHP so you'll be getting there late.

ADR: Le Cellier at 8:30 - This would be too late for my kids now, and they are older.

I say stick with Crystal Palace if your child likes Pooh! I love the breakfast there.

I would go in the park earlier than 5pm on my rest day to get the most of the day's admission!

I also recommend skipping some rest time at the hotel, maybe she'll nap in the stroller? My kids never had a problem doing this.

First timer for Disney World here! My husband and I are taking my daughter for 4 nights in September. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside and we have the deluxe dining plan (my husband is food critic so yes we know it's a lot of food but it's a must: not for work just for pleasure!) so we have a lot of ADR's.
Being that my daughter will be 2.5 at the time our trip I don't expect to be able to do long days at the park. We want this to be a fun leisurely vacation and don't have the intention to do and see everything (we will back after all!). Returning to the resort for a nap around 2 to 3 is a must!

Last week I posted asking for help on my original itinerary and found from some Disney vets that it made no sense! I seriously underestimated how much time we would need for traveling to the parks and how long meals would take. Unfortunately I'm a little stuck with what is available in regards to ADR's (there is not much available at this point at all) but I'd appreciate any input you may have on what could make this trip better IE tell me to skip certain ADR's and shoot for a quick service option (recommendations welcome!)

Flight home at 7pm

I personally wouldn't want the 10:45 time at Tusker, but I wouldn't just give up and go counter-service. My wife booked and rebooked and finally got our perfect time slot for Tusker House, Biergarten, and one more that escapes me at the moment. She did all this the last week before our trip using the My Disney Experience app. She just opened the app and checked often, knowing that people could always change their minds and cancel their ADR.

Flight home at 7pm

Okay, I think the only way anyone can help you is if you answer this, and I don't mean this to be rude, but just honest:

- Who are you taking the trip for? Is this for YOU guys, or for your daughter? What are your goals - just to eat a bunch of meals, or do you actually want your daughter to experience Disney?

Because, in all honesty, as others have said - if your goal is to let your daughter experience Disney and have fun - your plans are horrible. She is 2.5 - she is too young to spend hours every single day, sitting down in restaurants. And then hours again sitting on a bus, being shuffled from resort to park to resort to park to resort etc... Also, you mention afternoon breaks are important, but what about bedtime? You have some VERY late nights planned for a 2.5 year old. And typically, the more overtired a toddler gets, the less they'll sleep overall, which only increases the risk of meltdowns.

Quite frankly, you're paying a huge amount of money - for nothing really. You're going to get to experience very little of the parks, and spend a huge amount of money on overpriced food. If eating and relaxing is your main goal you'd be better off to skip Disney and go to an all-inclusive resort somewhere on a beach.

If you actually want to experience Disney, and give your daughter a good trip, then I would drop the Deluxe dining plan altogether. It's a waste of money and it's going to really kill what could be a great trip for you guys.

Then I would do something more like this:

Monday - head to Epcot. Spend the afternoon there, chances are she'll nap in the stroller while you guys stroll around the World Showcase and get to experience all sorts of lovely food and drink. Head back to your resort and have a nice supper there around 5:00. Go for your carriage ride, then go back to resort for rest. Your current plan is a very looong and exhausting day for a toddler, which is not how you want to start your vacation.

Tuesday - Tuesday, keep the ADR, that's fine. Spend a few hours at Magic Kingdom. Try and get a supper ADR around 4:00, then head to the Halloween party. You can plan to stay till park close, but again - you have a 2.5 year old. She will tell you when it's time to leave and chances are it'll be before park close. Knowing that she will likely not last till park close, is why you want to get to the party earlier, rather than later, so you can get your money's worth. If you can not get an earlier ADR elsewhere, then skip it all together and get back to the park.

Wednesday - Sleep in by all means, but it's so hard to plan this day, since you have no idea how late your daughter is going to be up the night before. You have no idea how late she'll sleep. You have no idea what time she will go down for a nap, or if she'll even take one. Your best bet is to plan to head to Magic Kingdom around noon. Get a lunch time ADR even (around 11 or 12). Spend the afternoon at MK - if she falls asleep in her stroller then great, you and DH can take in the sights etc... Go to your hair cut, and BOG, then back to resort. But again, be prepared, this will be yet another late night for your DD if you do BOG - you will not be leaving MK until after 8. Myself, I'd probably skip it and do quick service or CS.

Thursday - Do you have Park Hopper passes? If you do, a) you're wasting your money based on your current plans b) if you don't, you can't do this plan, since you're only allowed admission into one park per day. The only way this plan isn't a waste, is if you plan to be at Animal Kingdom at rope drop. Do a few attractions before your ADR, then you'll have a couple/few more hours after. As long as you are at AK for rope drop, this is a good plan. Again, you can only do CRT/MK that night if you have park hoppers. And again - you're planning an extremely late night with a toddler who hasn't gotten much sleep this trip. Be prepared for meltdowns and for your plans to change. The likelihood for a 2.5 year old to be able to keep the itinerary you have planned is probably very slim.

Friday - This is the one day of your plan that sounds great :)

Last edited:
Tuesday - Tuesday, keep the ADR, that's fine. Spend a few hours at Magic Kingdom. Try and get a supper ADR around 4:00, then head to the Halloween party. You can plan to stay till park close, but again - you have a 2.5 year old. She will tell you when it's time to leave and chances are it'll be before park close. Knowing that she will likely not last till park close, is why you want to get to the party earlier, rather than later, so you can get your money's worth. If you can not get an earlier ADR elsewhere, then skip it all together and get back to the park.
MNSSHP is awesome.......you don't want to miss out on Trick or Treating!!!! Parade and Fireworks are definate must do's ............let your youngling sleep early so you don't miss it :P

Doug :goofy:

That would be way too much dining for me. One table service meal a day is good enough for me and I tend to prefer it at the end of the day. I can't imagine eating two sit down meals at the parks. Many of the restaurants give you ample portions.

Are any of your restaurants MUST do's for you? Tell us if there are any that are not negotiable so we can try to arrange around them. I do think more time in the parks is better and you definitely want to go to MNSSHP at 4 and I'd think skip that ADR.

Going back to your room is exhausting. Figure 20+ minutes just to walk out of the park, 20+ minutes to wait for the bus, 20+ minutes to ride the bus, 5-10 minutes to walk to your room, then multiply by 2 since you now have to do the same thing in reverse to get back in, and you've just added 2.5 hours of unnecessary travel time for maybe an hour rest? We tried that once, and mine wouldn't nap in the hotel room anyway. Would she nap in the stroller? That was the only way mine would ever fall asleep for naps. Then just park in the shade by a bench, enjoy some snack credits and people watching. That is way more relaxing than going back and forth.

And, I'm not sure what you mean about not wanting long days when most of your days involve staying until park close? That sounds like a long day, especially adding in the back and forth travel.

Monday - change your lunch to somewhere closer to the park entrance - right now you're walking back to the furthest point. Go to San Angel or Akershus. Then do rides after lunch. If you finish that, take it easy by finding some live music or watching a film in WS. I would keep your dinner if you think 8:30 is not too late for your child.
Tuesday - I would keep CP and 1900 PF, but drop the halloween party, and stay in MK all day until your dinner reservation
Wednesday - now you haven't had a late night, but if you still want to take it easy this day, I would go to the pool in the morning, and get an ADR at The Wave at Contemporary for lunch, then go into MK for your afternoon and evening.
Thursday - this looks like the only day you are park hopping, so yes, that is a waste of money. Enjoy AK and Tusker house, then go back to the resort late afternoon, enjoy the pool, and eat at Boatwrights.

Okay, I think the only way anyone can help you is if you answer this, and I don't mean this to be rude, but just honest:

- Who are you taking the trip for? Is this for YOU guys, or for your daughter? What are your goals - just to eat a bunch of meals, or do you actually want your daughter to experience Disney?

Because, in all honesty, as others have said - if your goal is to let your daughter experience Disney and have fun - your plans are horrible. She is 2.5 - she is too young to spend hours every single day, sitting down in restaurants. And then hours again sitting on a bus, being shuffled from resort to park to resort to park to resort etc... Also, you mention afternoon breaks are important, but what about bedtime? You have some VERY late nights planned for a 2.5 year old. And typically, the more overtired a toddler gets, the less they'll sleep overall, which only increases the risk of meltdowns.

Quite frankly, you're paying a huge amount of money - for nothing really. You're going to get to experience very little of the parks, and spend a huge amount of money on overpriced food. If eating and relaxing is your main goal you'd be better off to skip Disney and go to an all-inclusive resort somewhere on a beach.

If you actually want to experience Disney, and give your daughter a good trip, then I would drop the Deluxe dining plan altogether. It's a waste of money and it's going to really kill what could be a great trip for you guys.

Then I would do something more like this:

Monday - head to Epcot. Spend the afternoon there, chances are she'll nap in the stroller while you guys stroll around the World Showcase and get to experience all sorts of lovely food and drink. Head back to your resort and have a nice supper there around 5:00. Go for your carriage ride, then go back to resort for rest. Your current plan is a very looong and exhausting day for a toddler, which is not how you want to start your vacation.

Wednesday - Sleep in by all means, but it's so hard to plan this day, since you have no idea how late your daughter is going to be up the night before. You have no idea how late she'll sleep. You have no idea what time she will go down for a nap, or if she'll even take one. Your best bet is to plan to head to Magic Kingdom around noon. Get a lunch time ADR even (around 11 or 12). Spend the afternoon at MK - if she falls asleep in her stroller then great, you and DH can take in the sights etc... Go to your hair cut, and BOG, then back to resort. But again, be prepared, this will be yet another late night for your DD if you do BOG - you will not be leaving MK until after 8. Myself, I'd probably skip it and do quick service or CS.

Thursday - Do you have Park Hopper passes? If you do, a) you're wasting your money based on your current plans b) if you don't, you can't do this plan, since you're only allowed admission into one park per day. The only way this plan isn't a waste, is if you plan to be at Animal Kingdom at rope drop. Do a few attractions before your ADR, then you'll have a couple/few more hours after. As long as you are at AK for rope drop, this is a good plan. Again, you can only do CRT/MK that night if you have park hoppers. And again - you're planning an extremely late night with a toddler who hasn't gotten much sleep this trip. Be prepared for meltdowns and for your plans to change. The likelihood for a 2.5 year old to be able to keep the itinerary you have planned is probably very slim.

Friday - This is the one day of your plan that sounds great :)

This is exactly what we needed!!! thank you sooo much! She is absolutely the priority and like I said we have never been there. We way underestimated the time for travel to the parks and how long meals will take!

I know the eating was for your DH, but to be honest, he's going to be disappointed. As others have said, you really should consider dropping the DxDDP and change back to the regular DDP. Choose one ADR/day and then do QS.

You may find that she can nap in her stroller.

There is a great parade at 3pm in Magic Kingdom that you will want to see at least once.

I would go to MK earlier than 4pm.

Tusker at 10:45am is a great time. You can do the safari and then the Festival of the Lion King at 10am and head straight to "brunch". All in the same area. You will also get to experience both breakfast and lunch.

Flight home at 7pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter