Help me convince them please!

You have rides that aren't available in WDW -- Carsland rides (RSR is awesome!), Indy, Matterhorn and the now missing from WDW Mr. Toad's WR. Toontown totally different. I like each for the experience they bring but I've always liked DL vs MK. I love New Orleans Square and the general vibe of the place. Tell them not to knock it until they've tried it. Look at hydroguy's WDW vet's guide to DLR and that might help too.

This claim is quite a stretch. I know they like to say it's in the park but it's really just next door, which is pretty awesome when you think about it, but it's simply not in the park.

If you drop something off of the balcony of your room and it lands IN DCA, the hotel is part of the park.

I have been a DL regular for years. In the last several years we have taken 2 trips to WDW and would definitely say DL is our preferred by far. The fact there are more attractions closer together, park hopping is easy since the parks are so close together, many of the attractions are better (in our opinion). The river ride in AK is amazingly short compared to the one at DCA. The best character experience ever was at DL. As we were walking into Fantasyland, Snow White took both my daughters by the hand (about 2 yrs and 6 yrs at the time), walked with them to the Carousel and rode it with them. It was amazing. There are things at both DL and WDW that are unique and make each have things that make it special. I think sometimes it is what you grow up with and grow to love, but DL is the original and there is just something magical about it.

I've been to DLR twice and WDW a few time. They are just different. It's still Disney, and there are similarities, but it's definitely worth visiting. Even if you just take two days, one for each of the parks. There are a few things you can do at DLR that you can't see at WDW. World of Color and Carsland are definitely worth it. PotC is way better at DL. DCA has a different feel than any of the WDW parks. Matterhorn, California Screamin', Aladdin show, different parades...not to mention churros, monte cristo, corn dog castle!

I prefer WDW, I think because when I go there it's generally for a longer time and it's more of an escape from everything vacation for me. But I don't pass up a trip to DLR. In fact, I'm going out to a work conference early just to spend a day there and to see WoC again and might pay for the multiday tickets so I can go there for a few hours after the conference each day.

Just tell the kids fine, they can stay at the hotel while you enjoy the parks. If they don't want to be at DLR and would be a wet blanket then don't take them.QUOTE]

This!

I wanted to go to DLR for my birthday this year but neither DH or DS6 wanted to go, can you believe it??!! Soooo, I went by my myself. My first solo trip ever AND I LOVED IT! While they're at the beach or whatever, take yourself to DLR!! Believe me, they will be so jealous after they see your pictures ::yes::

The best character experience ever was at DL. As we were walking into Fantasyland, Snow White took both my daughters by the hand (about 2 yrs and 6 yrs at the time), walked with them to the Carousel and rode it with them. It was amazing.
This is an excellent point. Characters at DL do not have handlers! Also, there are no utilidors, so the characters walk through the park to get to/from their stations. It is very different than WDW, as character sightings are actually random and they interact with guests (waiving, saying hi, etc) if you talk to them from a distance.

As WDW regulars, when my wife and I were planning a trip to California about 11 years ago, I snubbed Disneyland on the basis that it cannot compare to Magic Kingdom in terms of magic, fun or feel, so we skipped it. When we finally did go 2 years ago because we were in the area, boy did I feel like an ***. Place is superior to WDW in just about every way (except dining and hotels). Rides are better and all of them are in one place (rather than spread across 4 parks). And despite being in the middle of Anaheim, the magic is there just the same. Wife still talks about how I robbed her of that DL visit 11 years ago, and she's right.

Make sure you read (and maybe have your DH read) HydroGuy's DLR for WDW vet posts. They are very insightful.

This is an excellent point. Characters at DL do not have handlers! Also, there are no utilidors, so the characters walk through the park to get to/from their stations. It is very different than WDW, as character sightings are actually random and they interact with guests (waiving, saying hi, etc) if you talk to them from a distance.

This is something that has its advantages and disadvantages. I love at WDW that if I go to x spot at x time I will meet x. Makes it much easier for character mad kids collecting autographs than hoping you see them walking around....
Even the kids get it-the other day DD2 was saying she loves Sven and wants to hug him and DD4 said don't worry we will go to Disney and then we will wait in a line and then you can hug him (I love that she has such belief that they can meet any of the characters)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter