• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me convince my DD she can't borrow an AP...

We have been to WDW a few times when the scanners were turned off. May 2009 when the swine flu scare was on the scanners were not on. Also, during some very busy times they're off.

Wow. The swine flu reason makes sense. Turning them off during busy times doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Anyhow, I guess that answers my question.

Wow. The swine flu reason makes sense. Turning them off during busy times doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Anyhow, I guess that answers my question.

They do it to get people through the turnstiles faster and to reduce backups at the gate. Having one less thing to do to enter the park speeds up the process.

Finger scanning was in use for AP holders for a long time before 2005 when finger scanning was extended to almost all guests.

My DD will be taking her honeymoon at WDW next month, and her fiance has a cousin who wants to "loan" them he and his wife's annual passes. The cousin insists that he has loaned them out to other people.

We have had annual passes for nine of the last ten years. There have been many times when our passes/finger scans did not work and the CM had to override or we had to actually replace passes. I can remember at least two occasions when one of our passes/finger scans didn't work and we were asked to produce ID on the spot.

But back to OP's story...Did this future cousin-in-law actually say that he had loaned his passes to other people without a problem? I'm thinking that statistically there had to have been problems during those other trips. :confused3 As someone else pointed out...every park entry would be a risk of revealing the theft. :eek:

I've had an annual pass more than once. 10+ day trips to WDW and park hopping during those trips. I have been finger scanned EVERY SINGLE TIME I enter a park.

Is it even POSSIBLE to get in without the finger scan???? If you put your pass through the "reader" and DON'T do the finger scan, doesn't the machine stop you and alert the CM that the person needs to do the finger scan? I can't believe any CM doesn't insist on it.

I guess I am asking a CM if it's even possible for someone to slip in without the finger scan?

Even if the scanners are off, they still will ask for ID. I'll bet the names aren't the same as the ones on the tickets.

I've always been suspicious of those finger scanners - do they really truly work? Maybe her cousin can lend her the AP to at least not pay for parking (which that cost is highway robbery in my opinion).

I've always been suspicious of those finger scanners - do they really truly work? Maybe her cousin can lend her the AP to at least not pay for parking (which that cost is highway robbery in my opinion).
:confused3

The finger scans do really work, but there is about a 1/1,000 probability of a duplication. Often the Guest is not sure which finger was used first and will try another and it will work.

If I am at a turnstile and a ticket rejects with an "IDENTIFICATION FAILS" message my first suggestion is to try again, maybe it did not get a good read. My second question to the Guest is are you sure that is the correct finger. Third may be did you switch tickets with someone else.

After that, if the ticket has a name on it (and all APs have the name printed) I will ask for identification. If it does not have a name there are other questions I can ask and see the answer on my side of the turnstile. (Those questions I will not publicize.)

I have several options, including sending the Guest to Guest Relations or other choices. And if I happen to be in GR and not at a turnstile there are certain things I can see on the computer to ask about to see if the tickets really belong to the person.

If I am at a turnstile and a ticket rejects with an "IDENTIFICATION FAILS" message my first suggestion is to try again, maybe it did not get a good read. My second question to the Guest is are you sure that is the correct finger. Third may be did you switch tickets with someone else.

This happened to me. I took my husband's ph on a trip with just my dd. The tickets don't have the names on them. When I was scanned, it came back as a problem. I was able to answer the questions about usage and days remaining as well as point of purchase (I think) and was then reissued a ticket with my information instead. I realize the CMs are not looking to give people a hard time and I really appreciated them helping me instead of making me buy a new ticket.

I've had an AP for all my visits since the 80's except one in 2007. When WDW first started with the biometric read (the index and middle finger) I always had a problem with it reading my whatever they kept record. I was often getting out ID or having my reading reset. With the finger 'print" (I know it not an actual finger print) I still have had problems at times. Last trip my magnetic strip stopped reading and I had to get 2 new APs, but as far as reading the finger scan, much better than the 2 finger scan of the past. I think the best was way back with a picture ID!

I guess I am asking a CM if it's even possible for someone to slip in without the finger scan?
When the system is working normally, the turnstile will wait for you to insert your finger. If you dilly dally too long then the CM standing nearby will notice and kibitz you to do the next step (1) insert ticket, (2) insert finger, etc.

I think that a better idea than turning off the scanners is to use a max timer for the finger scan. The guest must still insert his finger but if the turnstile computers fail to reject the ticket within the time interval (perhaps 0.33 second), the turnstile unlocks and turns on the green light.

As an AP holder, I would NEVER barrow my pass out to someone, ever! I wouldn't want it taken away from me! That ticket is expensive!

We have been to WDW a few times when the scanners were turned off. May 2009 when the swine flu scare was on the scanners were not on. Also, during some very busy times they're off.

As someone who frequents the parks regualarly, I'd say the finger scaners are turned on about 90% of the time. There have been a few instances where they just scan your card and you go in. Not really sure why they would turn them off. But it seems like randomly, they are turned off.

My DD will be taking her honeymoon at WDW next month, and her fiance has a cousin who wants to "loan" them he and his wife's annual passes. The cousin insists that he has loaned them out to other people.

I don't believe this is possible, but of course my DD is super excited about being able to take the expense of park tickets out of her honeymoon budget.

Am I right in believing that this is not allowed, and also is just plain impossible? If so, please give me so ammunition to help convince my daughter of this. What will happen to them at the turnstiles if they try to enter with someone else's APs?

Let me just share with you a true story about what happened to me in a similar situation.

About 12 years ago, I was discussing with a co-worker, my plans for a getaway weekend at WDW.

I am a Florida resident and at different times throughout the years, they offer various FL resident deals for park admission. My co-worker told me that he and his wife had only used 2 out of the 3 days on their "Play 3" tickets that were about to expire. He gave them to me and said that it would be a shame for the one unused day on each ticket to go to waste since they weren't planning to get to WDW anytime soon.

I thought it was perfect since I just needed 2 days of admission, I qualified as a FL resident and never gave it a thought that it would be against the rules. Also, they had just started using the finger scanners for AP's and FL resident tickets. It was common to use someones partially used tickets years ago, before finger scans.

Then the drama started. :scared1:

I got to the gates of DAK, inserted the ticket and did the finger scan, it rejected. The CM had me try again, rejected again. CM looked at the ticket and asked me if I was Michael. I went into panic mode and lied, I said "yes". She asked me for ID, I lied and said I didn't have any with me. The CM called a supervisor who looked at the ticket and asked me again for an ID. When I lied again and said I didn't have it with me, the supervisor CM asked me a few more questions which I couldn't answer. Finally, she said, "then I guess I can't help you here", flashed the ticket at me and turned around and walked away with it. The gate CM told me that I would have to please step away from the gate and I was totally humiliated, mortified, embarassed and every other word you can think of!

I consider myself lucky to have gotten off so easily and that I'm not banned for my stunt. I take full responsibility for being a nitwit and not being fully informed about the non-transferability of ticket media. Now, I keep an AP and I am never annoyed if they ask me for ID.

Willa, I hope your daughter does not try to use someone elses AP. :sad2:

Let me just share with you a true story about what happened to me in a similar situation.

About 12 years ago, I was discussing with a co-worker, my plans for a getaway weekend at WDW.

I am a Florida resident and at different times throughout the years, they offer various FL resident deals for park admission. My co-worker told me that he and his wife had only used 2 out of the 3 days on their "Play 3" tickets that were about to expire. He gave them to me and said that it would be a shame for the one unused day on each ticket to go to waste since they weren't planning to get to WDW anytime soon.

I thought it was perfect since I just needed 2 days of admission, I qualified as a FL resident and never gave it a thought that it would be against the rules. Also, they had just started using the finger scanners for AP's and FL resident tickets. It was common to use someones partially used tickets years ago, before finger scans.

Then the drama started. :scared1:

I got to the gates of DAK, inserted the ticket and did the finger scan, it rejected. The CM had me try again, rejected again. CM looked at the ticket and asked me if I was Michael. I went into panic mode and lied, I said "yes". She asked me for ID, I lied and said I didn't have any with me. The CM called a supervisor who looked at the ticket and asked me again for an ID. When I lied again and said I didn't have it with me, the supervisor CM asked me a few more questions which I couldn't answer. Finally, she said, "then I guess I can't help you here", flashed the ticket at me and turned around and walked away with it. The gate CM told me that I would have to please step away from the gate and I was totally humiliated, mortified, embarassed and every other word you can think of!

I consider myself lucky to have gotten off so easily and that I'm not banned for my stunt. I take full responsibility for being a nitwit and not being fully informed about the non-transferability of ticket media. Now, I keep an AP and I am never annoyed if they ask me for ID.

Willa, I hope your daughter does not try to use someone elses AP. :sad2:

Wow! I admire the fact that you can tell this story so openly (and as a warning to others) now. It must be painful to even think about.

OP, I know you want to "protect" your daughter but there comes a time when you can no longer do that. All you can do is: tell her that it is wrong; tell her that there is a very good chance that they will not be allowed into the park for trying to use the pass; a very good chance the pass will be confiscated; and the let her decide if it is worth it.

OP, I know you want to "protect" your daughter but there comes a time when you can no longer do that. All you can do is: tell her that it is wrong; tell her that there is a very good chance that they will not be allowed into the park for trying to use the pass; a very good chance the pass will be confiscated; and the let her decide if it is worth it.

OP here.

I am not trying to "protect" my daughter, I was trying to gather facts to show her this won't work. I have gathered that information and presented it.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question on this thread. Special thanks to Eljay for sharing your story so honestly, and to Chesire Figment for giving me exactly what I needed in the very first reply to this thread.

I had the discussion with my daughter, and now she has the information she needs to convince her fiance that his cousin, while well-intentioned, had a bad idea about this.

The situation was that his whole extended family got together and were excited about presenting the happy couple with a nice surprise. They erroneously believed that it was doable and a good idea. My daughter knows now that they were wrong about that. Whether or not the family knew it was cheating and fraud is not for me (or any of you) to worry about.

My daughter will be talking it over with her fiance, and the two of them together will make the right decision.

Best wishes for your daughter and future son-in-law, Willa. Blessings for a very long, healthy and happy life together, enjoying a bit of DIsney along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter