Help me appreciate the swan and dolphin

blackacex2

Mouseketeer
I know the title of this thread is kind of silly, but I am having a hard time getting excited about the hotel. We are staying there for two nights before we go to the boardwalk inn. I kind of feel like it will be a big tease- we will be right next to the boardwalk but not staying there for a few more days. The only reason we are going to the swan is because it is free on credit card points. Should we stick with it or switch to somewhere else like a moderate? Maybe the swan is great and I am wrong?

the Swan and Dolphin are both great hotels..we have stayed there many times and have enjoyed the atmosphere of both..
You are right where you want to be ..close to the Boardwalk ..Epcot and the Studios...
Hope you enjoy yourselves on your vacation

pumba said:
the Swan and Dolphin are both great hotels..we have stayed there many times and have enjoyed the atmosphere of both..
You are right where you want to be ..close to the Boardwalk ..Epcot and the Studios...
Hope you enjoy yourselves on your vacation

Thanks, pretty good advice coming from a stinky warthog. Did you clear a savannah after your last meal?

Does the Boardwalk offer a 24 hr eatery or 24 hr room service food? Try not to miss it too much when you leave there. (As we did in a split stay. And don't forget to use your AAA card for a discount on food.)

I know the Boardwalk doesn't have Heavenly Beds. :cloud9:

The Swan and Dolphin to the BW. To us the BW is the least Disney resort of the Disney resorts. The pool at S&D blows the BW away. Restaurants are also a lot better, Shulas is the best steak on property. BlueZoo is a wonderful seafood restaurant and offers choices not at the Flying Fish and the food is as good if not better.

Lets talk price U get more for a lot less. A deluxe resort for a moderate price. You cannot go wrong.

Go in with an open mind and you will realize the you do not miss out on anything except sending your packages back and chargeback privileges.

I appreciate that over Easter week my short stay at the Dolphin is costing me $240 per night, whereas I'd be paying $600 per night at the other Epcot resorts for those same nights...

Seriously though, the Swan and Dolphin are great - you can't beat the location, the beds, and the pools. While the pool is no SAB, it is larger and less crowded (usually) than the main pool at the BWI.

We've stayed at the Swan/Dolphin exclusively for many yrs now, except for a foray to AKL when it first opened.

On the AKL trip, my grandsons (who were probably late elementary school age) told us they missed staying at the S/D. We haven't stayed elsewhere since.

First time poster here...

We stayed at BWI in early June last year and were disappointed. We ended up walking to the Dolphin most days to eat and were so taken with it that we just booked it for June this year.

The BWI is gorgeous and the rooms were very nice. The location is wonderful too. One thing that put us off was that any time we wanted to eat, we had to go outdoors. There is no restaurant that you can access from inside. And since it seemed to rain daily around dinner time, it literally put a damper on our trip! They do have a bar area that offers limited coffee in the am and drinks in the pm, but that was it.

Also, the pool area, while fun was not so big. Most days it was so crowded that my kids were waiting 10-15 minutes to go down the slide. It was hard to find a table and chairs to park ourselves at.

The main grotto pool at the Dolphin is so much bigger and so pretty. They also have a beach area and a couple of other smaller pools. We booked a deluxe alcove which is much bigger than the BWI rooms for $100 less per night than we paid last year (including resort fees!) No ME, but we are using Tiffany Towncar and getting a grocery stop on the way to the Dolphin. And we don't have to wait in line for a bus.

Everyone has their different tastes, but go into it with an open mind and you just might really enjoy yourself. Have a magical trip!

We have never stayed at the Swan and Dolphin (we usually stay at Beach Club Villas) but we love, love, love the food at Swan and Dolphin! We can walk up to any of the restaurants without reservations and be seated. Plus the Swan and Dolphin restaurants accept Tables in Wonderland.

Kimono's has great sushi!!

Where else an you get a deluxe level resort for the price of a mod? I love the Heavenly Beds and the scent that lingers at the Swan!

I am in a similar boat. I realize that S&D has better pricing and better restaurants with the advantage of the same primo location, but I really just HATE looking at them, I think that they're such an eyesore. That's such a snobbish thing to say :guilty: but I can't help it!! I've never been inside, I will make an effort to do so on my next trip and give it a chance. If they were any color combo besides burnt orange and copper green... Sigh :crazy2:

We really enjoyed the Dolphin when we stayed there, and you are essentially on the Boardwalk...it is RIGHT there. I wouldn't switch. We had our first experience at the BW Villas last month, and we loved it. Have a great time!

jiminyfan said:
The Swan and Dolphin to the BW. To us the BW is the least Disney resort of the Disney resorts. The pool at S&D blows the BW away. Restaurants are also a lot better, Shulas is the best steak on property. BlueZoo is a wonderful seafood restaurant and offers choices not at the Flying Fish and the food is as good if not better.

Lets talk price U get more for a lot less. A deluxe resort for a moderate price. You cannot go wrong.

Go in with an open mind and you will realize the you do not miss out on anything except sending your packages back and chargeback privileges.

If the boardwalk is the least disney for you, what is the most disney?

CindyPA said:
First time poster here...

We stayed at BWI in early June last year and were disappointed. We ended up walking to the Dolphin most days to eat and were so taken with it that we just booked it for June this year.

The BWI is gorgeous and the rooms were very nice. The location is wonderful too. One thing that put us off was that any time we wanted to eat, we had to go outdoors. There is no restaurant that you can access from inside. And since it seemed to rain daily around dinner time, it literally put a damper on our trip! They do have a bar area that offers limited coffee in the am and drinks in the pm, but that was it.

Also, the pool area, while fun was not so big. Most days it was so crowded that my kids were waiting 10-15 minutes to go down the slide. It was hard to find a table and chairs to park ourselves at.

The main grotto pool at the Dolphin is so much bigger and so pretty. They also have a beach area and a couple of other smaller pools. We booked a deluxe alcove which is much bigger than the BWI rooms for $100 less per night than we paid last year (including resort fees!) No ME, but we are using Tiffany Towncar and getting a grocery stop on the way to the Dolphin. And we don't have to wait in line for a bus.

Everyone has their different tastes, but go into it with an open mind and you just might really enjoy yourself. Have a magical trip!

Thanks so much for the info. I am starting to look forward to the swalphin much more now.

I am in a similar boat. I realize that S&D has better pricing and better restaurants with the advantage of the same primo location, but I really just HATE looking at them, I think that they're such an eyesore. That's such a snobbish thing to say :guilty: but I can't help it!! I've never been inside, I will make an effort to do so on my next trip and give it a chance. If they were any color combo besides burnt orange and copper green... Sigh :crazy2:
I used to think that way, too. Now I see their beauty, too. You've got to get in there, or better yet, stay there. Then you might feel differently. (Might - not everyone does. Which is fine for those of us who like it there. ;) )

My family and I have stayed at the Dolphin two years in a row and it is our favorite hotel! My DD cried when I told her we would not be staying at the Polynesian again, but once we arrived at the Dolphin and stayed the first time, she said she wanted to stay at the Dolphin from now on :) The rooms are so comfortable, staff friendly, love the boats and proximity to Epcot and HS, pool is amazing, you can see fireworks from both Epcot and some from Fantasmic from the pool at night, Food is really good, especially the pool bar, and you can't beat the prices! I was worried it wouldn't feel like Disney because of the lack of theming, however, when you look out at the Epcot ball or the Tower of Terror every day, and you hear the friendship boats horn calling, you know you are home and right in the middle of Disney! :cheer2: Oh and the Boardwalk at night is also a lot of fun! We rounded out our evenings every night there! We are taking a break this year to try AKL, but next year we will be right back at the Dolphin!

If the boardwalk is the least disney for you, what is the most disney?

Great question. I will break it down to our favs at the levels.

Deluxe: AKL - the atmosphere, the anaimals, Jiko's. Overall, we love the feel here we like the quiet nature of the resort. Compared to BW, where you had to join the crowd on the boardwalk to eat or get a drink.

Moderate: Enjoy Caribbean Beach's pool, but seems a lot of the rooms even though just recently redone seem worn, especially the bathrooms.
We also enjoy Coronado even those it has little Disney theming.

Value: Pop is our favorite for this level as rooms and food goes. All Star movies has the best Theme in my opinion, but the location and feel we get at Pop gives it the nod.

The main negative about the BW feel, is it didn't seem like a resort on its own, it truly did feel like you were on the boardwalk. So, they accomplished their point, but growing up going to the NJ and Maryland shores and staying ont he boardwalk this is not what we look for at WDW.

This is just one person's perspective of the resorts. We have gone almost continuously since 1991 and have stay at almost every resort, each has positives and negatives from everyone's point of view.

No matter where you stay, you will have a great time. :wave2:

We are staying at the Dolphin for two nights in August then moving to the AKL for 4 nights. We are planning to park hop maybe 1 or 2 of the days--the rest of the days will be spent at or around the resorts or at other dining locations outside the parks. It will be a relaxing romantic vacation and some great dining. Thanks for the info and tips on having fun and relaxing outside the theme parks

Glad to read some of your replies. We will be staying at The Dolphin for the first time after spending several years at Disney themed resorts. I was hesitant, but we love this location. Glad to hear we won't be disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter