Help Make My Girl's Dream Come True

NewDisDad

Earning My Ears
After over seven months anticipation and countless hours of planning, my wife and I may have to cancel our trip to WDW beginning next week because our daughter (age 3 yrs, 2 mos) is very ill.

Can anyone suggest what would be a good time to reschedule before December? Summer is not looking good, given the heat and not to mention the problem with getting reservations for character meals on less than six months notice. Is Thanksgiving a good time? Priority: least crowds as foreseeably possible.

There is still a small chance we can still go if she improves, so my second question is whether anyone knows how busy it is down there between April 30 and May 4.

Any prayers, pixie dust, or other form of magic would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

--a NewDisDad, trying his best, bumming in boston

sorry about your situation.

bottom line, any time kids are typically in school is a good time for crowds. april 30 - may 4 should be great, but disney won't ever be empty, so hotels might be an issue depending on how long you wait.

you shouldn't cancel per se if you have to, just change dates.

I am so sorry to hear that your little girl is sick!

November is an excellent time to go as long as you stay away from Veteran's Day weekend and Thanksgiving. The weather is beautiful and crowds are low. I would think October would be nice as well, but I've never been there at that time so I can't say for sure.

April 30 - May 4 is a great time as well. It will be a little warmer than November, but still not too hot with moderate crowds.

I hope your DD feels much better soon and that you have a wonderful, magical vacation! :wizard:

Lots of prayers :angel: , pixie dust pixiedust:, and wishes :wizard: coming your way! Not sure if it helps but we have gone after Thanksgiving--last few days of November, first few days of December and it was great! All decorated for the Holidays, special events, nice weather and not crowded. We are actually surprising kids with a trip that time again this year. No matter what happens, I hope your daughter gets well and you have the most magical trip ever :woohoo:

we have been there in October, and it was great. Weather was wonderful, and not too very crowded. I would stay away from the last week of October. Seems like alot of people are using the schools fall breaks as a week of vacation there. Good Luck. We will be there next week....hope to see you there!!

Many times children bounce back quickly from being sick, so i wouldn't say the 30Th is out of the question yet. But if it does need to be cancelled, I would opt for October over November. We have gone in November many times. Read so many good things about it, but there are so many obstacles Jersey week, Veterans day and Thanksgiving. When we were there it was far from quiet. But I think we hit Jersey week. And the week of Thanksgiving is worst, from what I read. If you get around those weeks November may be ok.

I hope your daughter gets well very soon, and you have a magical time whenever you decide to go.

Thanksgiving week 2006 was VERY crowded--maybe not Christmas or spring break crowded--but very busy. Long lines and mobs of people. If you could wait until the week after the holiday, the crowds should dissipate, and everything will be decorated for Christmas.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your little princess!

Just sending lots of prayers and pixie dust your way.. I heard the first week of May is not bad at all.. I would stay away from the weekends.. its always crowded.. but I hope she gets better soon.

Not sure if it helps but we have gone after Thanksgiving--last few days of November, first few days of December and it was great! All decorated for the Holidays, special events, nice weather and not crowded. We are actually surprising kids with a trip that time again this year.
I was going to suggest the same time. Avoid Thanksgiving as it's very crowded.

{{hugs}} I hope your DD feels better soon!

The first week of December is a wonderful time! Low crowds, low heat and beautiful decorations!

That's very very sad, and I hope she improves soon, I'll keep in my prayers. But more importantly a found a great time to go is in the middle of Novemeber, it's a pretty small crowd.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and suggestions, and I agree with the post about not cancelling if possible.

I booked this trip after reading the unofficial guide to WDW with total enthusiasm. I've been to World twice (1976 and 1983), and know only one thing -- if you do it, do it right. We are not cancelling until the last possible second. We are staying at the Poly, April 29- May 4, and have reservations at Akershus, Royal Table, and 1900 Park Fare, to name a few -- DD is a princess fanatic with a dose of "Nemo-itis." I have touring plans laid out with alot of flexibility other than the meals. Nonetheless, I wouldn't want to subject a high-intensity vacation on a sick DD....

Hope to get to you on the boards! This is the greatest site yet!

Sorry to hear about your daughter, hope she gets well soon....here is a littlepixiedust: for her.

When we went to WDW in 2005, we went the second week of Sept. (the week after Labor Day), that was probably the best time of year to go. You get cheaper rates at the hotel, because it is the value season. Also, the most we waited for an attraction was 15 minutes to see Ariel in her Grotto. We basically walked on to every attraction...I think we only used FP only once, that was for Peter Pan. If we didn't have an ADR for something, we could just go to the front desk of our hotel, or guest relations at the park we were in and got the time that we wanted. The only down side was that it was humid, but it was very managable. We are going to WDW in June this year, but I think that this will be the only time we do that...my ILs are coming and can't get off in Sept. After this trip, we will only go in Sept. Best of luck to you.

That is so awesome that you are doing a "surprise trip" for your DS -- seems like a bunch of folks have the same idea! My parents did that for me when I was 7, and I will never forget it as long as I live. My only question: how do you keep it a secret? My wife and I haven't been able to contain ourselves for the last month! LOL, best wishes, and thank you.

So sorry to hear that your little girl is sick. :worried: I hope to hear that she gets to feeling better very soon and I will send her lots of pixie dust and prayers! While I've only been to the world in the summer, my DB and DSiL went last October and said it was wonderful! It was not at all crowded and they got to go on almost every ride twice! (quite a feat since my DSiL HATES rollercoasters - but loves WDW coasters! :confused:) And I agree, don't cancel until you have to. But don't go if she is too sick, either. There would be nothing worse than being ill at the happiest place on EARTH! :wizard:

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she feels better soon. :hug:

We were there last October/November and it was wonderful especially the October part! You could also go to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party if you opted for October or to one of the Christmas parties if you opted for November (they usually start around Nov 13th).

I hope it all works out for you and that your daughter gets better soon. :)

Pixie dust and prayers coming your way:wizard: Try Sept and Oct. they are a little warm but the crowds are good.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, hope she gets well soon....here is a littlepixiedust: for her.

When we went to WDW in 2005, we went the second week of Sept. (the week after Labor Day), that was probably the best time of year to go. You get cheaper rates at the hotel, because it is the value season. Also, the most we waited for an attraction was 15 minutes to see Ariel in her Grotto. We basically walked on to every attraction...I think we only used FP only once, that was for Peter Pan. If we didn't have an ADR for something, we could just go to the front desk of our hotel, or guest relations at the park we were in and got the time that we wanted. The only down side was that it was humid, but it was very managable. We are going to WDW in June this year, but I think that this will be the only time we do that...my ILs are coming and can't get off in Sept. After this trip, we will only go in Sept. Best of luck to you.

That sounds totally amazing! Thank you for the tip! The Grotto, BTW, is number 2 on my MKAS (Magic Kingdom Assault Strategy), after Dumbo. My daughter sings the Little Mermaid songs incessantly, and I know she will want to have lengthy discussions with Ariel! I am her servant, and her happiness is mine. Thank you for your wishes and spell!princess:

Hi Bobbi -- Thanks for your message as well. I see you must like the Beach Club! Your kids should and must adore you for this! I was so torn about that one, but we decided on the Poly because of proximity to MK. I'm looking forward to trying it, though, in future years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter