HELP! Lens for Christmas

cjnix29

DIS Veteran
My husband got a Canon SL1 for his birthday. He has the kit lenses that come with it, 18-55 and 75-300. I know absolutely NOTHING about camera lenses, and he is really just getting started with photography other than a point and shoot, so he's not exactly sure what it is he wants/needs. When he was taking pictures on our last vacation, he indicated he wished had a lens that was somewhere in between these two for zoom? Does this make sense? Can anyone help me out with a recommendation as to what may be a good fit? And a few other stupid newbie questions....are lenses interchangeable with brands? meaning do I have to buy canon lenses for this camera? He mainly takes pictures of vacations, not much action shots. Thank you!!!

are lenses interchangeable with brands? meaning do I have to buy canon lenses for this camera?
You are not 100% limited to Canon lenses. You can buy other brands (Sigma, Tamron and Tokina are popular). Make sure that any 3rd party lens you purchase has a Canon EF mount. :)

My husband got a Canon SL1 for his birthday. He has the kit lenses that come with it, 18-55 and 75-300. I know absolutely NOTHING about camera lenses, and he is really just getting started with photography other than a point and shoot, so he's not exactly sure what it is he wants/needs. When he was taking pictures on our last vacation, he indicated he wished had a lens that was somewhere in between these two for zoom? Does this make sense? Can anyone help me out with a recommendation as to what may be a good fit? And a few other stupid newbie questions....are lenses interchangeable with brands? meaning do I have to buy canon lenses for this camera? He mainly takes pictures of vacations, not much action shots. Thank you!!!

like others have indicated you need a Canon 'mount' but not necessarily Canon lens.
the 18-135 would be a middle zoom but does he ever take portraits? Many photographers like a large aperture prime for that blurred background effect and the 50mm 1.8 STM lens is only $85 on the Canon Refurbished list

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter