Help! Leaving in 12 days. What should we do in Key West?

Mel2421

Mouseketeer
I would appreciate suggestions on what to do in Key West. Thanks a bunch!!!

We are leaving on the Wonder Dec 7 soon. Been to Key West before on another cruise....and going again on this cruise. We did not book thru Disney, just did it on our own. First time we walked from the ship dock to tour.....Truman's Little a White House, then Hemingway's house, then climbed to the top of the light house. What a view it was from the top of the light house. Then headed back down Duvall street and stop for a drink at Sloppy's Joe. Finished off with Key Lime pie on a stick. Finished the walk around Mallory square. Whew!! That was FUN and all in about 5-6 hr!

This time we are thinking the Aquarium and Shipwreck Musuem. Going to try some conch fritters and possibly a lobster roll. Have not decided if we wanted to catch the hop on hop off trolley to go to the Most Southern point or just walk to Fort Zachary...or rent a bike or one of those electric cars. We just have a list of options and depending on the weather....we decide then. Enjoy whatever you do....and happy cruising!

If it's your first visit, I would do a trolley tour. I'm partial to a Conch Train Tour, but I'm sure the other ones are good also. If there is something that is mentioned on the tour that peaks your interest, you will have plenty of time to do that. As mentioned by the previous poster, Hemingway House is a good place to go, and less than a month ago, me and my wife went to Truman's Little Whitehouse, which was very interesting. If you haven't been to Key West, you have to walk down Duval St.

Taking you kids with you at Key West? I've seen some pretty poor reviews of the trolley tour, "your kids will never forgive you" struck me as particularly discouraging!

No kids! Just me and my sister. The lighthouse sounds interesting. Have to try the key lime pie for sure.

Our standard mission in Key West:

1) Walk to Blue Heaven to eat and drink (and look at chickens)
2) Walk to Hemingway House to pet cats
3) Walk back to ship along Duvall street to window shop.

Perfect day for us

Most of what we have done has already been stated ....
Old Town Trolley - hop on / off
Southernmost Point in the USA
Key Lime Pie (and the chocolate dipped on a stick variety too)
Truman's Little White House
Hemingway House - love the 6 toed cats! - and they all have GREAT names!!
Walking Duval Street / Duval Crawl

Have not yet done:
Light House
Shipwreck Museum

We rented bikes from eaton bikes https://www.eatonbikes.com/ and cruised around the island. Visited the "tourist sports" with out having to walk all that way. They even let us drop off the bikes at the Westin @ Mallory square when we were done.

Spent about $50 bucks for two adult bikes, kid seat for my youngest and tandem bike for my oldest. So worth it

We went there before our cruise this summer and loved it!!

We did the Conch Train Tour - all adults but loved it (as did the kids on the tour with us).
Loved Hemmingway's house and the cats - the guides know all their names.
The lighthouse is great - fantastic view.
Key Lime Pie from Kermits won our "Olympics of Key Lime Pie" hands down - but ONLY as pie...none of us could begin to think of abusing it with chocolate.

I'm not sure if you're there long enough for the sun to set, but Mallory Square is lots of fun, and the sunsets are just as gorgeous as you hear tell of.

We did the hop on/off trolley tour with Old Town Trolley when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Our first driver was a bit over the top, but we liked the second one we had (we jumped off at the Southern Most Point and then back on after we took a picture).

We also did the Little White House. My DH and I loved the Little White House but my kids just tolerated it. But even though they don't appreciate all the places we drag them to, we still do it because I think it's important to expose them to history. Maybe they will appreciate it some day.

Finally, we walked from the Little White House to Kermits to get our chocolate dipped Key Lime Pie. I had the strawberry dipped in white chocolate which was very, very good.

Most of the main stuff to do (Little White House, Hemmingway House, Duval Street, Aquarium, Shipwreck Museum, etc) is within walking distance of Mallory Square where they drop you off so it would be easy to do on your own too.

If you are looking for a beach, Ft. Zachary is quite nice but if you are walking, plan on plenty of time. Probably a 30 walk from the pier as a guess. May want to look into renting a bike if you go there. The one thing I would suggest if you plan to go in the water though is to bring water shoes. There are tons of rocks!!!
The fort itself was quite interesting to walk around in as well.
Hope you have a great time regardless of what you do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter