Help ! Last minute question about malls near the Detroit Airport

tinkerbeth

Goin' back soon!!
WEll, as usual, I've left it to the last minute. We're staying a the Westin in the Airport tomorrow and going to the Ford Museum the next day. What I want to know is, what is within driving distance of the airport in terms of a good mall or other shopping? Or a 'strip' where I can find a TGIFridays??

And (oh can it be...) if anyone knows if there's a scrapbook store near either the Ford Museum or the Airport, that would really make my trip! :hyper:

Thanks so much!

Beth :bounce:

If you take I 94 west to Ann Arbor, about 20 min., and take the state st. exit you will find the briarwood mall. Hope that helps

I work in Dearborn, next to the Village and Henry Ford Museum. It is only about 5 minutes from the parking lot to Fridays at Fairlane Mall. From the parking light turn right onto Oakwood Blvd, then right onto Michigan Ave. Go a half mile or so and turn left onto Evergreen, then turn right into the mall. Friday's is on the left next to Big Fish.

It is possible to park on Village Drive as well. If you do, turn right on Oakwood from Village Drive and follow the above directions.

Enjoy your visit! Think of me when you're there. I'm in the old building next to the museum and the parking lot. Henry's original engineering lab.

PS. Briarwood is an excellent mall, probably better than Fairlane. But Fairlane is much closer to the museum/village. Briarwood is in the other direction from the airport.

YOu people ROCK. I knew someone would have an answer for me. Looks like it's either the Fairlane Center or possibly Westland or Southland shopping center.

And now, I'm off to bed b/c I have to get up and pack in the morning and we have to leave by 8:30 or 9 b/c the exterminators will be coming to kill the carpenter ants which was the excuse for the trip in the first place. ;)

Looks like it's Tim's for breakfast in our house! ::yes::

Thanks everyone! I'll think of you when I'm shopping tomorrow.

Beth :wave2:

I would not waste the time going to Southland Mall. It's not very big and doesn't have a lot of stores. JMHO

Also Fairlane Mall used to freak me out. I only went there 3 times in the 5 years I lived in the area. :eek:

I just realized this is the weekend for the Ann Arbor Art Fair. If shopping is on the agenda, go to Ann Arbor and park at Briarwood. Take the shuttle downtown. It costs a few dollars. The art fair is an experience not to be missed if you have any energy. The fair starts Thursday at 9 am and runs through Sunday. Be there or be square.

Originally posted by condoboy
I just realized this is the weekend for the Ann Arbor Art Fair. If shopping is on the agenda, go to Ann Arbor and park at Briarwood. Take the shuttle downtown. It costs a few dollars. The art fair is an experience not to be missed if you have any energy. The fair starts Thursday at 9 am and runs through Sunday. Be there or be square.

The Art Fairs will most certainly increase traffic into Ann Arbor, espicially near Briarwood, and the State St. exit from I-94, as Briarwood is one of the 3 main "Park and Ride lots" where you can park for free and then take a shuttle bus to the fairs.

The 4 Ann Arbor Art Fairs run at the same time every year, cover 9 or 10 city streets, and bring an estimated 500,000 tourists to Ann Arbor every year.

I'm not sure where Jenn is coming from about Fairlane - could be teens at night. I'm not much of a mall goer. There is also a number of closed stores there.

Going to Fridays doesn't take you into the mall.

If you want to shop, Briarwood is nicer, even given the art fair traffic. If you haven't experienced the art fair, I would recommend giving it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter