HELP- Jury Duty 3 days before trip!

dbal

Mouseketeer
Hi- I'm not sure even what forum this belongs in so feel free to move this.

We have a trip planned for the second week of June, and I just got a jury duty notice today to start 3 days prior. This is my first time and I'm so nervous. My dh has been picked 3x and the last one lasted over 2 weeks.

Any suggestions? I'm really nervous!

Call the number they should have on the notice and explain the situation. They will usually let you defer serving if you have a vacation already planned. You should be able to wait and serve it another time.

Of course every place is different but hopefully this will work for you.

Same thing happened to me. The back gave a code for excemption. I filled it out with copies of our plane tickets etc. and all was fine.

If they really make a stink about it and they don't let you postpone, you can always tell them you are hostile or unwilling to perform your duty if you are picked. When I had to go to jury selction last time, there was a young "adult" who said there was no way he would be able to stay awake and pay attention during the trial because he was too lazy... and they let him leave!! Unbelieveable, but true... they don't want people there that are going to be trouble.

Same thing happened to me before our September trip last year. I had already postponed once, so I had to go. I was, of course, chosen for the looongest trial (the other would be done in a day or two). I actually wasn't chosen, but one of the alternates skipped out after a break, so I was the last one called because he left. I explained to the judge and lawyers that I had non-refundables for WDW, and they "awwed," the DA asked if he could go with me and they let me go. Just be honest about your situation, and I'd bet they'll excuse you.

If you got selected for a criminal trial, during jury selection, you could always say you were a dyed-in-the-wool believer in "an eye for an eye" and think that people dumb enough to get caught must be guilty. Bet you'd get thrown out double-quick! :rotfl:

thanks for the replies. I'm feeling a little better. It's funny though thinking about all the funny things you would LOVE to say that would get you excused, but I don't have the guts.

Princessjes- how nervous were you? You pretty much didn't know until the last bell. :eek:

Also - I'm curious if you don't mind sharing, how do you get a postponement?

I would contact the court and tell them you have already paid for your trip and if you cancel you will lose the money that you paid.And let them know youn would be willing to serve but on other days and let them know right away dont wait til the last min

I would also contact Disney if things don't go your way. They helped me bump my dates a little last year during Ga's amazing snowjam w/o asking for more money, even though we were less than 24 hrs from our resi. The 3 day cancellation stuff is so people make a commitment, but they are not tryig to milk you for a situation you can't control. I don't know if the outcome would have been the same had I tried to just cancel though.

I have been picked for jury duity twice. I live in a small town. When they asked if you steal raise your hand basically every question they ask raise your hand. sure fire way to get out of it. I wanted to be picked because at the time I was working a job I hated.

Have a great trip I will be there in 8 days.

If you got selected for a criminal trial, during jury selection, you could always say you were a dyed-in-the-wool believer in "an eye for an eye" and think that people dumb enough to get caught must be guilty. Bet you'd get thrown out double-quick! :rotfl:

:eek:. :rotfl:. so that is how to avoid doing your civic duty huh;). I need to try that one day:rotfl2:

thanks for the replies. I'm feeling a little better. It's funny though thinking about all the funny things you would LOVE to say that would get you excused, but I don't have the guts.

Princessjes- how nervous were you? You pretty much didn't know until the last bell. :eek:

Also - I'm curious if you don't mind sharing, how do you get a postponement?

Well, due to the nature of the trial, the defense was getting rid of most people with young children, so I imagined I'd have gotten axed either way. However, I was really glad when they were so easy about it!! In fact, I've seen the DA a few times since (I work for our public school system), and he mentioned WDW. :laughing:

My letter had a mention about a one time postponement with a number to call. If yours didn't, I'd call the court house and inquire. Good luck!! I bet you won't need it, though. :thumbsup2

Just try the honest approach first. :lovestruc If that doesn't work just politely ask "Will Grissom or Horatio from CSI be there w/ GSR & DNA samples?" Surely you will be dismissed :lmao::rotfl:

Usually, if you have kids under the age of 10, you can be excused. When I got my summons, there was a box to check for this.

Usually, if you have kids under the age of 10, you can be excused. When I got my summons, there was a box to check for this.

WOW what state do you live in???? I was NURSING and couldn't get excused! Mass is tough though. You can basically make every excuse in the book and they aren't letting you out of jury duty. However, you can postpone it one time.

Heck, just say you know the defendants's cousin's daughter's boyfriend and you will probably be dismissed for being connected to the defendant lol

Just call them and explain, nicely and calmly, your situation, generally the staff can take care of things before needing to appear. If not, you may have to appear anyway and explain to the judge, don't be nervous, they don't bite (trust me), and you'll likely get away free and clear. As someone else said, generally they try to work with you. For any 'regular' civil or criminal case, that should work, though for things like capital murder cases, it won't necessarily (there are generally different rules for how those juries are handled in most states).

That being said, I've heard of instances where people that deliberately try to be idiots about it (screaming they are racist, hate women, think jaywalkers should get the death penalty, whatever) get put through the wringer.

As I said, be nice, be honest, and do it as quickly as you can, and you should be perfectly fine.

Two ways to go about it:

1) Call the number/write the letter and tell them you have already planned and paid for a vacation 3 days after your are to show up and see if you can get a deferral.

2) If you can't, then if you are selected for a jury pool they will ask you if you would be able to serve however long the trial is supposed to last. If it is past your vacation start day, then just say "I have already paid for a vacation that is to start on X day so I would not be available."

This might be the best way because you have "done your duty" but then you can still go on vacation.

I was selected for a long trial that was supposed to last 5 weeks or so and I told them I had a long weekend planned after the 5th weekend and somebody else had a Cruise planned. We went through the trial and were in jury deliberations and I was allowed to go on my Columbus Day weekend trip (leaving early on Fri and I think the court didn't have session on Monday anyway.) THe person with the cruise happened to be chosen as an alternate and they let her go early since there were 2 other alternates anyway.

I'm dealing with this myself right now. I have to go down 5 days before we leave. :eek:

I called down to the courthouse to ask about a postponement and they said it would be better to just go down there, serve the day and see if I get picked (the person I talked to said, "Most of the hooligans down here cop a plea, you'll probably go home by lunchtime." :rotfl:) This is Downtown Detroit so you get the picture.

He did tell me to bring proof of my pre-paid rooms/tickets and if by some chance I got picked, they would most likely reschedule my service dates.

Fingers crossed!! :goodvibes

Defer it. It's easy to do by calling the number on the form. Just let them know you'll be out of town.

I've had to do it and had no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter