Help! Jeans for Dinner, is it ok?

phuang

Earning My Ears
Can we wear jeans and a nice shirt/top during dinner at the restaurants?

Thanks!

Well, I think like casual docker type pants are better. I believe they suggest that Jeans not be worn in the dinning room, DCL that is. When it was not formal, my DH wore "docker" type casual pants, my sons wore "Dickie" type of pants and ran to the cabin and changed the minute they were done ;) I would always hang their pants back up for the next night..and they would wear a different shirt :thumbsup2 As much as they act like they don't like to dress up, they did. They liked to look nice, but could change out of their clothes faster than SUPERMAN! :rotfl:

I know that some people who aren't comfortable dressing up a bit, love the alternative of the buffet. Something to consider too.

I know at first, on my first EVER cruise experience, I swore up and down we were NOT dressing up, I was NOT packing dresses and suits and all that stuff... then I saw pictures and stuff and got all into it. I'm so glad we did, we have awesome portraits. We are going on a Royal Carribean cruise in 3 weeks and I can't wait to see my teens in their ties! They are really excited. But if they don't feel like dressing up, there are so many other options for them. It's their vacation too, but I will put my foot down and have the formal nights together. :grouphug:

Absolutely jeans are ok, and you will see many people wearing them for dinner. We love the new casual dinner dress code on the magic and wonder. Now, all we need is DCL to update their paperwork to reflect all these changes.
phuang said:

Thanks!

They suggest no shorts in the dining room. Jeans are perfectly ok.
PizzieDuster said:
Well, I think like casual docker type pants are better. I believe they suggest that Jeans not be worn in the dinning room, DCL that is. When it was not formal, my DH wore "docker" type casual pants, my sons wore "Dickie" type of pants and ran to the cabin and changed the minute they were done ;) I would always hang their pants back up for the next night..and they would wear a different shirt :thumbsup2 As much as they act like they don't like to dress up, they did. They liked to look nice, but could change out of their clothes faster than SUPERMAN! :rotfl:

I know that some people who aren't comfortable dressing up a bit, love the alternative of the buffet. Something to consider too.

I know at first, on my first EVER cruise experience, I swore up and down we were NOT dressing up, I was NOT packing dresses and suits and all that stuff... then I saw pictures and stuff and got all into it. I'm so glad we did, we have awesome portraits. We are going on a Royal Carribean cruise in 3 weeks and I can't wait to see my teens in their ties! They are really excited. But if they don't feel like dressing up, there are so many other options for them. It's their vacation too, but I will put my foot down and have the formal nights together. :grouphug:

In the summer months, we did not see anyone in Jeans at dinner (not even kids). Doesn't mean they weren't there, we just didn't see any. I agree with PizzieDuster...One pair of khaki pants was all my boys needed for the 7 night cruise (they only wore them at dinner). It is amazing how FAST kids can change if they have the right motivation! :rotfl:

Call me old-fashioned, but I dont like to see guests in jeans in the dining rooms. Jeans are fine for day-wear, watching a movie, building a wall, or eating at Pizza-hut. Im one who wishes cruise-lines enforced the "smart" attire for dinner. I know guests want to be comfortable, but I always think jeans are "workman wear"......... but hey.... Im no fashion icon! :rotfl2:

I like the jeans, dressy top, strappy sandal look and I think it is fine for nights other than formal and semi-formal nights. That's what I'll be wearing (and my two girls) will be packing when we get ready to leave in 56 days!!!!!!!!!!

I've read no shorts but what about dress shorts? I think those look nicer on the kids than jeans. If jeans are accepted, I would think dress shorts would be too??

I personally would not wear jeans and I would bust my DH's butt if he wore jeans, and this is coming from someone whose favorite attire on the rest of the cruise is my DH's old jeans cutoff into shorts. I just wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them. My DH wears the same khaki cargo pants every night, then changes. He also wears a polo, so he is very casual, but still not in jeans. Feel free to do what you please, but the dinners are such an experience. We look forward to getting ready for dinner. We are super duper casual people, but just not for dinner. Click the below link to see what we wore to some of the dinners.

I would wear shorts if it were allowed, personally. I think cruise lines need to get away from this "dress code" stuff. It's my vacation and I'll dress the way I feel most comfortable.

But if there's a minimum policy that requires jeans, I guess I'll wear them. ;)

Actually, I'll probably bring a bunch of khaki-type of pants. I find them more comfy than jeans, usually.

I just don't see why it matters what other people wear. :confused3 Enjoy the food and your family and your vacation.

Maybe cruise lines enforce these dress codes for dinner because it's what polite society required in the early 20th century on cruises, but lots of things that were also required went away, such as dozens of sweating guys shoveling coal into huge boilers, steerage class, etc. I find the notion of dinner dress codes (beyond just shoes, shirts and pants) to be about as unnecessary as those huge boilers and steerage class.

phuang said:

Thanks!
Many people feel the need to editorialize on this issue, but the simple answer to your question is yes. Have a great time!

we4blairs said:
I've read no shorts but what about dress shorts? I think those look nicer on the kids than jeans. If jeans are accepted, I would think dress shorts would be too??

They are fine on kids. My sons wore them a couple times and looked adorable.

Actually, we were on a big family reunion cruise and the first night several of the men wore dress shorts to dinner. (Nice dress shorts with nice golf shirts.) We are actually all snappy dressers and eat in upscale restaurants a lot. It's ironic because this is a tropical vacation and dress shorts are 'resort casual.' They definitely looked nicer than someone in jeans would. None of them would have dared wear jeans to dinner.

However, we were apparently against the recommended dress code. (No one said a word.) I say, Make an effort to look nice for dinner in the dining rooms and don't get caught up in exact wording of the dress recommendations.

Tarabra said:
I personally would not wear jeans and I would bust my DH's butt if he wore jeans, and this is coming from someone whose favorite attire on the rest of the cruise is my DH's old jeans cutoff into shorts. I just wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them. My DH wears the same khaki cargo pants every night, then changes. He also wears a polo, so he is very casual, but still not in jeans. Feel free to do what you please, but the dinners are such an experience. We look forward to getting ready for dinner. We are super duper casual people, but just not for dinner. Click the below link to see what we wore to some of the dinners.

Very well, and politely put.

grimley1968 said:
I would wear shorts if it were allowed, personally. I think cruise lines need to get away from this "dress code" stuff. It's my vacation and I'll dress the way I feel most comfortable.

But if there's a minimum policy that requires jeans, I guess I'll wear them. ;)

Actually, I'll probably bring a bunch of khaki-type of pants. I find them more comfy than jeans, usually.

I just don't see why it matters what other people wear. :confused3 Enjoy the food and your family and your vacation.

Maybe cruise lines enforce these dress codes for dinner because it's what polite society required in the early 20th century on cruises, but lots of things that were also required went away, such as dozens of sweating guys shoveling coal into huge boilers, steerage class, etc. I find the notion of dinner dress codes (beyond just shoes, shirts and pants) to be about as unnecessary as those huge boilers and steerage class.

Actually it's "everyone onboards vacation" and not just "yours". Maybe some people still appreciate cruising in the spirit of the 20th century and would like it to remain differentiated from a visit to the dude ranch.

According to the info on my ressie with Dreams Unlimited "Jeans are allowed" which makes us happy. I will apologize in advance to all those that will be cruising with us on the 29th of June, as we will utilize this option (except of course on the one dress up night) as we are a Jeans Family....

But to each their own!

MAC3 said:
According to the info on my ressie with Dreams Unlimited "Jeans are allowed" which makes us happy. I will apologize in advance to all those that will be cruising with us on the 29th of June, as we will utilize this option (except of course on the one dress up night) as we are a Jeans Family....

But to each their own!
No need to apologize when you are adhering to the suggested guidelines.

Par8hed said:
Actually it's "everyone onboards vacation" and not just "yours". Maybe some people still appreciate cruising in the spirit of the 20th century and would like it to remain differentiated from a visit to the dude ranch.

WOW. If you're implying that dude ranches are some sort of objectionable thing, I guess this is a little insulting.

Do cowboys wear khakis like I mentioned in your quote of my previous post? :confused3

If you want your cruise to "remain differentiated from a visit to the dude ranch", might I suggest you look the other way when all the scores of people who do not wear tuxes walk by. Or just close your eyes and remember the Titanic movie, when all the "dude ranchers" in their khakis and button down shirts (e.g. yours truly) enjoy our meals in the vacation we have as much right to enjoy as those who wish to differentiate themselves from "dude ranchers".

:sad2:

I'm sorry, but by quoting my post, then mentioning "dude ranch" in a negative way, you made it personal. I can't let that go.

We just got off the 3/18 eastern cruise. The men in our party wore jeans on all the casual nights. It was so much less to pack and made them very happy. We all did dress up a little more for semi-and formal nights. Jeans are allowed, so I'm not sure why anyone would get bent out of shape for adhering to the recommended dress. We did see people in all forms of dress, really dressed up to very casual. It sure didn't effect my dining. Our servers were fantastic and they didn't seem to care what we wore either. I personally love that they have relaxed what is required dress. For all those that like to dress up, there is no problem in doing that as well. Like I said, we saw all kinds. That's kinda what makes the world go round!

This discussion pops up every few months or so.

It amazes me how people get so bothered at what OTHER people wear. Unless someone sits next to me in a sopping wet bathing suit, I really couldn't give a rat's butt less.

I'll be too busy enjoying the theme of the restaurant and having a wonderful time with DH to care what anyone else wears :banana:

Sorry, just had to give my $.02! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter