Help, is DVC for our family?

WeLoveLilo05

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are currently thinking of buying into DVC direct from Disney @ Poly. We are currently a family of four (kids 12 and almost 3) and maybe growing within a year or 2. We go to Disney pretty much every year for a week. We always go during the end of August/beginning of september due to free dining, having dining allows us to stay at a deluxe. With that, I have fallen in love with Beach Club.

So, since we still plan on going once a year, we were thinking 160 points should be sufficient (we would more than likely go during that en of august window still, or now that we wont have to rely on FD we can expand to Sept, Oct, and early Nov). We have no desire to go during peak seasons/holidays. Do you think this is enough points for our family if we continue to go during the fall window? and if our family should expand?
Do you think now is a good time to buy into DVC if our family is still growing (honestly we would just go from family of 4 to 5)? Is buying into DVC and maybe taking a year off from vacationing (due to pregnancy), and accumulating points silly before the DVC is paid off?

BUT, as I mentioned before I LOVE BC (but then again its the only deluxe we have stayed in). And if our family expands we won't be able to stay there, which is a total bummer for me, so I am unsure what to do.

Also, since 160 points will only allow us studio living lol, are the pull out beds comfortable?

SS and OKW are lesser point values, is it due to not being close to parks?

Is it difficult to get a studio room? Do they book up quickly? Do you recommend studio rooms?

Also, another thing we forgot to ask is borrowing points, is there a limit on how many you can borrow?

Thanks!

I will try to answer your questions, but do want to comment that if you definitely want Poly as your home resort, buying direct makes sense. Otherwise, look at the resale market. Please note you will NOT get free dining (pretty sure) if you book thru DVC.
1 year, family of 4 can stay in a studio and a family of 5 "can", but you may occasionally want to splurge with a 1 bedroom too (for a full kitchen, cooking utensils and Washer/Dryer in unit, along with a Jacuzzi). In either case, 160 should be enough.
You can use the 160 every year, or bank/borrow for 480 (in case you want to take a BIG vacation in 3 years). 100 is too low and 200 too high. I think 160 is an excellent number. You can borrow up to your point limit.
Standard Studios go FAST. You may occasionally get studios with views available during peak times, but those will need significantly higher points to book.
Poly rooms are big enough to accommodate you. It is a beautiful resort and on the monorail, and getting booking there at 7 month is tough. Keep that in mind when choosing your home.
If you love the Epcot area and your home is away from the Epcot resorts (BWV or BC), getting those at 7 month is difficult during fall.
My advise will be:
Choose which park your family loves the most
Choose how important it is to be on the monorail and water connectivity (monorail is the fastest access route).
Choose how important it is to be able to get a standard studio (non lake view for example) without stressing out too much.
160 points should be enough to enjoy an yearly vacation.

Choose how important it is to be on the monorail and water connectivity (monorail is the fastest access.)

Generally excellent post - but I'll throw out a minor quibble that for MK access - nothing beats walking from the BLT...

If you really love BC why not buy there resale. You could get more points for less and be able to get a larger room. Just a thought.

If you really love BC why not buy there resale. You could get more points for less and be able to get a larger room. Just a thought.
How does resale work? We didn't look into that.
I know there are exclusions, what are they?
Also, if we become a family of 5, we would have to stay in a 2 bdrm right (holding 8)? Which is a lot of points for a lot of space we might not need.

Checkout the past couple of posts in the rofr thread re: beach club and buying a split of direct and resale. Also that at bc you can have 5 in a 1bd. Downside is the expiration in 2042

I will try to answer your questions, but do want to comment that if you definitely want Poly as your home resort, buying direct makes sense. Otherwise, look at the resale market. Please note you will NOT get free dining (pretty sure) if you book thru DVC.
1 year, family of 4 can stay in a studio and a family of 5 "can", but you may occasionally want to splurge with a 1 bedroom too (for a full kitchen, cooking utensils and Washer/Dryer in unit, along with a Jacuzzi). In either case, 160 should be enough.
You can use the 160 every year, or bank/borrow for 480 (in case you want to take a BIG vacation in 3 years). 100 is too low and 200 too high. I think 160 is an excellent number. You can borrow up to your point limit.
Standard Studios go FAST. You may occasionally get studios with views available during peak times, but those will need significantly higher points to book.
Poly rooms are big enough to accommodate you. It is a beautiful resort and on the monorail, and getting booking there at 7 month is tough. Keep that in mind when choosing your home.
If you love the Epcot area and your home is away from the Epcot resorts (BWV or BC), getting those at 7 month is difficult during fall.
My advise will be:
Choose which park your family loves the most
Choose how important it is to be on the monorail and water connectivity (monorail is the fastest access route).
Choose how important it is to be able to get a standard studio (non lake view for example) without stressing out too much.
160 points should be enough to enjoy an yearly vacation.

Thank you!
If poly is my home (I like this idea bc it will accommodate 5 and is monorail resort so getting to MK is easy and Epcot isn't that difficult either) and I can book 11 months out, at the 11 month point is it hard to get a studio room?
At 7 months out is it hard to get a studio room at BC, I am a planner, so it doesn't bother me planning well in advance,

I have read you cannot get free dining bc that is a package deal, wgich is fine for me. getting fd is so difficult now! last year i set my alarm for 3am the day it was announced and could only get lagoon view at bc instead of standard or garden. i am tired of stressing over free dining lolol

So, since we still plan on going once a year, we were thinking 160 points should be sufficient (we would more than likely go during that en of august window still, or now that we wont have to rely on FD we can expand to Sept, Oct, and early Nov). We have no desire to go during peak seasons/holidays. Do you think this is enough points for our family if we continue to go during the fall window? and if our family should expand?
Do you think now is a good time to buy into DVC if our family is still growing (honestly we would just go from family of 4 to 5)? Is buying into DVC and maybe taking a year off from vacationing (due to pregnancy), and accumulating points silly before the DVC is paid off?

BUT, as I mentioned before I LOVE BC (but then again its the only deluxe we have stayed in). And if our family expands we won't be able to stay there, which is a total bummer for me, so I am unsure what to do.

Also, since 160 points will only allow us studio living lol, are the pull out beds comfortable?

SS and OKW are lesser point values, is it due to not being close to parks?

Is it difficult to get a studio room? Do they book up quickly? Do you recommend studio rooms?

Also, another thing we forgot to ask is borrowing points, is there a limit on how many you can borrow?

I'll try to answer some of these... We've researched DVC for many years.

"Is 160 points enough"... Definitely. You can always add on if you want to. But with your smaller family fitting in a 1B/Studio, 160 is plenty. For us needing a 2B, 160 only gets us a trip every other year.

The pullout beds have always met the needs of our kids/teens.

Don't think once you buy DVC, you can only stay DVC. This is why 160 points is enough -- even if you want to take an extra trip, you can always go the regular way and get a hotel stay. Or do a hotel stay when they offer free dining, and use your DVC points at other times. Use the points when it's most optimal, and regular booking when that's most optimal for you.

Yes, SS and OKW are bus-only to the parks, and thus are more economical. Tho they offer boats to DS that is not of much value to us.

Limit on how much you can borrow? Just the # of points you own. So if you're booking a trip in August of 2017, you can use all your 160 August 2017 points, and you can borrow up to 160 points from your August 2018 allotment. So you can borrow up to as many as you have available in the next year.

Is now a good time to buy? Sure. But there is no incentive to buy now if you plan to buy it on a payment plan. I would not buy DVC with financing. The interest will kill any savings you might be anticipating. If you can pay it off in a year, just wait, invest the money for now, and buy it cash then. Instead of paying interest, you earn instead and will own it quicker. Also a year will go by so the points will be worth 1 year less and you pay one less year of annual dues. Buy them when you want to first use them, no sooner. Your "guide" can put an order thru in a matter of days. Mine did. It was amazingly fast.

Our first trip is next year. Really happy w the purchase. It opens up ways to book trips that weren't options before. As others have said, look into resale. You can buy other peoples contracts (used) for around $100 per point instead of the (new) price of $170'ish from D. There are some restrictions, but they're not deal-breakers for us. You can't transfer the points out to other time shares, you can't use them for cruises, and you won't qualify for some member-only perks like the AP discount.

Last edited:
If you only want Poly then buying direct makes sense because there are only a few resale and the savings isn't much. If you are thinking of direct 160 point purchase it will run about $27000. If you took that same amount of money and went resale for BC which runs about $99-115pp then you could get more points (~250-270 pts) and have the ability to get a 1 bedroom for more space or get a studio and have the points to go more often or longer trips. Or save some money and buy only what you need for a studio at BC (which I believe now do accommodate 5 people with the new renovations they did) for a week in the time frame you want to stay.

If you opted for a less expensive resort (SSR, OKW) then you could save even more money and still have the ability to book at every resort at 7 months and you would have saved a boat load ( a 160 pt SSR would be approx $13600) If you are looking at august -- availability is pretty good at many resorts -- once you get into sept - dec then things book up because of food and wine and the holiday parties).

you can always go the regular way and get a hotel stay.
I'll just add on to this comment, because once you are an owner you have the ability to get 24 one time use points (@ 7 months)from DVC to book if you were short some points. The other option is that you can receive a transfer of points from another member. Those points keep their home resort booking and you usually have to call MS to make the reservation. I have done this and it was really simple. This route would typically cost less than a direct hotel reservation and is better than renting point because you have control of the reservation.

Suggestions:
Why not rent a reservation for next year's trip to try out Poly to try out the resort and be sure you are happy there.
Lay out your trips for the next 10 years, the kids ages, what they will be doing as after school activities (I know you can only project), and decide if DVC still makes works for you.
10 years is the "normal" recovery time period at current prices direct, figure 7-8 years if you buy resale.

You are doing the right thing by doing your research up-front.
Read these threads on the DIS and understand the following terms:
UY
MF
HR
11 month and 7 month booking windows
Concierge Collection
RCI
CM
MS
Direct vs resale
Rule of 4
Once you have a full understanding of these terms.
Then read some more.

As to the restrictions on resale, there are some, but they're not deal-breakers for us. You can't transfer the points out to other time shares, you can't use them for cruises, and you won't qualify for some member-only perks like the AP discount.

Actually, you can use resale pts for other timeshares by trading through RCI. (Naturally, you can also still use them to book other DVC resorts at 7 months out).

The only real loss is the AP discount IMO. And that will only bug you if you are spending multiple weeks each year at wdw.

While the studios at the poly might be sufficient, just be aware that some 1BRs (BLT and AKV kidani) have a second bathroom, a sleeper chair for the 5th person as well as amenities like a washer and dryer. (There is also what some parents call the "nookie perk" of having a wall and door between them and the kids...)

I don't see this issue covered, and it immediately sprang to mind from the OP's comments about going during free dining:

When you buy DVC, you will NOT get free dining, even if you go during the free dining period.

if you love BCV, I would just buy BCV thru a reputable broker. Look at the sticky on this BB to find some, such as The Timeshare Store, and others. The pirce will be much less than Poly and you can get a larger unit. We are a family of 5 and fit into a 1Br just fine, even with older teens. You can bank/borrow points each year. WE find 160 points is s good amount of points for a 1 week stay every year with an occasional year off. Also, if your vacation style changes, and your kids no longer want to go to WDW, 160 points is a good size contract to be able to sell fairly easily, IMHO. You get less "perks" with resale (look online to find out).
If you need to finance, I would certainly factor in the interest rate. I would recommend maybe even buying a smaller amount, if you can pay cash.

You can also buy BC through Disney direct. You might have to waitlist but it never takes long.

I don't see this issue covered, and it immediately sprang to mind from the OP's comments about going during free dining:

When you buy DVC, you will NOT get free dining, even if you go during the free dining period.
Yes to me this is a perk, getting free dining is very difficult now (last year I was up @ 3am when it was announced in order to get it and still didnt get what I wanted). If i buy into DVC I can go in that late august time frame/early sept that I like without having to worry about FD since i no longer qualify but would still be paying basically the same..kinda lol.

You can also buy BC through Disney direct. You might have to waitlist but it never takes long.
It doesn't make sense to buy BC direct because of the difference in price (direct would be somewhere about $160pp). If you want or need the AP discount you can buy a resale and then once you are a member you can add on 25 point contract -- this maybe where you can add on Poly and have 50 points to use every other year and do some split stays. There are many possibilities - but before buying direct please thoroughly research your options of buying resale.

You may think free dining is a real savings but generally I think you have to pay top dollar for the room to get it. One of the perks if you get a little direct contract and if you get AP are some dining discounts -- If you go every year it sounds like AP would make sense for your family.

OK, the Poly is a great location with respect to transportation options to MK and Epcot. That said, the lack of a 1 BR with its full kitchen and w/d not to mention space will take its toll as your family grows (both up and out). 160 points is right at the edge of what you need for a standard view studio in August and is a fine "start"; you will likely add-on.

My personal preference were I in your position would be to buy where 1 br and 2 br villas are available (yes, a Poly Bungalow is "2br" but it is more expensive than a grand villa at VGF). BLT if you want to be near the magic kingdom or BCV/BWV to be near Epcot/DHS. AKL can be a good choice; the 1 br in Kidani Village has 2 bathrooms.

As noted, the least expensive villas get booked first so be ready to book 8 to 11 months (closer to 11 months is better). BTW, if you cannot plan your vacation at least 7 months in advance (I use a 2 YEAR horizon myself), DVC may not be for you. .

Poly is a great location but the lack of 1 and 2 bedroom villas makes it pretty restrictive especially given your family size. If your family get bigger you may well want a bigger room. we outgrew hotel rooms when our kids got towards teens then we really wanted 2 bedrooms with extra bathrooms

Personally i'd buy more points resale for the same money at any resort that offers all rooms.

I'm not seeing this addressed:

So, since we still plan on going once a year, we were thinking 160 points should be sufficient (we would more than likely go during that en of august window still, or now that we wont have to rely on FD we can expand to Sept, Oct, and early Nov). We have no desire to go during peak seasons/holidays

You say you won't be going "busy season." But the above months are DVC peak season. Those are the most competitive months of the year for DVC. You need to be aware:
  • To stay in a DVC studio in late September, any of October or any of November, you need to book at 11 months.
  • This means you will be booking home resort.
  • You will likely always be staying at home resort, unless you are switching possibly to Old Key West or Saratoga Springs.
  • You will never be able to easily switch a reservation at 7 months to Beach Club or Boardwalk from late September to early January. Some people may speak of waitlists and the like, but you may not always get that waitlist, or be looking at multiple moves in a week. Thus my use of the term easily. If you're a planner -- and most people with 3 kids like some surety -- you may not like playing waitlist roulette during Food & Wine and MNSSHP for near-park resorts.
What I'm saying: If you plan to travel any time in fall, buy where you will be happy staying. Do not rely on switching. I would recommend against buying Poly points and then regularly switching to Saratoga or Old Key West, as they are poor values for use of Poly points.

Buy where you love to stay resale. Use DVC for a couple of years, learn about the pluses and minuses, sell or buy the DVC contract to adjust your holdings for the best bang for your buck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter