HELP!!! I'm freaking out about February crowds!!!

mcmac4

Earning My Ears
I have done my research for 2 months in order to plan the perfect DL trip for my family. This is our Do Over trip. We took our kids for the 1st time in Dec. 2004 the week of Christmas, and they had to shut the park down because it was too crowded. I don't have one picture of my kids with one character, because we had to choose between rides or characters - it was that crowded. My dilema is - February is supposed to be one of the better times to go with the exception of President's Weekend, so I booked a trip for Feb. 26-March 2 (even though it's going into March, I think I'm pretty safe from Spring Break crowds). Last month, I couldn't figure out why the hotels were pretty much booked for the week of our trip - I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get my Entertainment card discount at HOJO (because it's over 80 % capacity) - I discovered why............ there is a Religious Education Conference at the Anaheim Convention Center, and they are expecting 40,000 people!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the largest annual gathering of Roman Catholics! There is also a Youth Day planned! Do you think teenagers are going to go to their religious classes, or do you think they are going to skip and play at Disneyland!! Help!! I've ordered Ridemax, does that program know about this conference?

I felt guilty pulling my kids out for 3 days in order to avoid the crowds. Now I'm thinking, "What did I do?"

I never thought of checking the event calender of the Convention Center.

I looked at the website of the conference - they have a full itinerary, but I know people don't go to every meeting. And what about the spouses that are bringing their families to play at DL?

Has anyone ever experienced how this conference affects DL attendance and the lines?

Do AP's know about this conference, and avoid going to DL? Or do they brave the crowds and play at DL before Spring Break starts?

Thanks,

mcmac4

Conventions usually doesnt do much to Disneyland. At least i dont really notice at all...

HOWEVER, Conventions to affect Disneyland Parking by a lot. Many times when the Convention parking are filled up, they tend to borrow space from Disney, which means Disney will pull people from parking department to move cars into certain lots.

It does effect hotels too as many hotels are probably booked up already.

Since you already booked your trip, just relax, go, and enjoy it! Disneyland is never going to be empty, and there is always something going on in the area.

Since you already booked your trip, just relax, go, and enjoy it! Disneyland is never going to be empty, and there is always something going on in the area.

I'm trying to have that mind set. I looked up the attendance for other functions at the convention center for other parts of the year and they range from 1,000 to 10,000 - not 40,000!

Maybe everyone will read my post, and not go to DL that week now that they know :)

We were there New Years week this year which is just as crowded as XMAS week, and we did all the rides we wanted as well as saw many characters and got pics with them. Of course, we did arrive early (7:00 early entry twice), and that makes a huge difference. We also spent 6 days in the parks and knew our way around, so we had plenty of time to do everything we wanted. If you know what you're doing and have a plan, you'll do fine, even if it does end up to be crowded. But, I don't expect it would be as crowded as XMAS!

How about crowds 2/9 and 2/10. I read local schools were out Monday the 11th. Park hours are later too.

mcmac4, My family will also be there the last week of February. I was not aware of the conference. However, many people on this board have posted that one can get a feeling for what the crowds will be by looking at the park hours and entertainment. DL is only open from 10-8 that whole week (except for MM) and entertainment is scaled way back. That has lead me to believe/hope that crowds are expected to be lighter. Hopefully it works out that way. If not, we will be there fighting the crowds with you.:laughing:

Have a great trip. :yay:

We'll be there Feb 27-Mar 4 too! I'm not too worried about it. Not much you can do anway. You just never really know with Disneyland- some days are light while others are packed- there's really no rhyme or reason!

There's no way of knowing how packed it will be. Disneyland is very aggressive when it comes to ensuring a certain amount of guests. Weekends will always be busy as are Mondays and Fridays since people tend to try to get long weekends. Tuesday through Thursday are better but they can still be rough. Presidents Day will bring huge crowds. It was pretty bad last year.

I've done the park on the easiest days and the busiest days. There is a science to the experience to ensure you see everything. Incredibly you can usually fit it all in. Use the Fast Pass system. They don't expire (at least they didn't when we were last there) so you can save them for when it's convenient for you to ride them. It can be tough to go back and forth so try to operate in a circle rather than zig zagging from one end of the park to another. Parades can be a blessing. Get to the side you need to be at based on food and attractions and don't make any attempts to cross the parade route especially after the parade is done. Also avoid the entrances to each land. When crowds are bad you may not be able to get where you need to go due to crowd control procedures.

If you have two days to do the park you can operate at a more leisurely pace. Use the popular rides to organize your day. Get your fast pass and then hit up the shorter lines or eat while waiting.

The Disneyland LTD Railroad will also get you to different sections of the park in a reasonable amount of time and will allow you to relax while getting there.

February IMHO is the best month for Disneyland with the exception of Presidents Day weekend. Get there early and stay late. You'll get it all in. Skip the parades if possible. Disneyland comes up short in this department and the time could be better spent knocking out attractions or eating.

Thanks. Our trip will be great no matter what. I agree on the parade thing. It seems like they do not change much. I would rather ride the rides.

Conventions tend to overflow somewhat into DL, but those folks are usually at the convention center. It will be somewhat busier but you'll be fine.

Conventions tend to overflow somewhat into DL, but those folks are usually at the convention center. It will be somewhat busier but you'll be fine.

We just got back Saturday and were there over the last week when a Canon convention was in town with supposably 45K people. Mon thru Wed, as well as Fri. morning we did not experience a wait longer than 10 min. and that was only a few times. Nemo was longer than that but we rode it during the down pour on Sun. night. I saw Nemo down to 20 min. wait during those days a couple times.

We just got back Saturday and were there over the last week when a Canon convention was in town with supposably 45K people. Mon thru Wed, as well as Fri. morning we did not experience a wait longer than 10 min. and that was only a few times. Nemo was longer than that but we rode it during the down pour on Sun. night. I saw Nemo down to 20 min. wait during those days a couple times.

Yeah - it's still well worth it to go in the off season if you can. Just because there's a convention in town doesnt mean folks flock to the park. They actually have to GO to the convention and since the laws of physics as man knows them today doesnt allow for us to be in 2 places simutaneously, convention goers typically choose to go to the convention... Heck - when we were at DL last year Nemo was like a 4 hour wait.

Yeah - it's still well worth it to go in the off season if you can. Just because there's a convention in town doesnt mean folks flock to the park. They actually have to GO to the convention and since the laws of physics as man knows them today doesnt allow for us to be in 2 places simutaneously, convention goers typically choose to go to the convention... Heck - when we were at DL last year Nemo was like a 4 hour wait.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful advise! I can't wait to play in Disneyland! 22 day countdown!!

mcmac4

YAY!! I'm going on my Honeymoon from feb 25-29 so I'll be there right with a couple of you it looks like. I am hoping it's not too bad. I prefer disney with lighter attendance, I usually go in September but the haunted mansion is always closed... and well this time it's for my honeymoon!! We are staying at the GC I'm soooo excited. I've never stayed at one of the DL hotels before :) We'll be there with our SLRs on that wednesday so if you guys see us we're the crazy people on our honeymoon :):dance3:

Hope ya'll have fun! I sure did, and the crowds weren't even much of a problem. We didn't have to wait long for many rides at all!

Convention guests are more likely to go in the evening, so maximize your daytime hours. I would guess that Sunday morning is not going to be a big draw for this particular group. :)

I was there yesterday and it was perfect!

I stayed open to close, and the crowds were definitely lighter than last Thursday. To boot, it was at least 80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!