• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! I'm confused, another grocery ? please?

jelo

Preparing for our Universally Magical vacation
So I've been reading the threads and using googlemaps,mapquest etc...to figure out where everything is....but it's confusing me more.:scared1:

I am sure on the map, everything looks further away, and I haven't done the driving distance part of it yet to see exactly how far.:surfweb:

We will be flying in to mco, picking up our rental car and heading to Best Western Plus,7299 Universal Blvd. for one night. I would like to pick up groceries for the week(take them with us to ASMO) somewhere in the area.

I originally thought Walmart, that way if there was anything else we needed etc...But it's really just water, snacks etc... I need. I looked for Publix as recommended, but the closest location looks like it far away.:confused3

Can someone help me with an address to publix, or a quieter Walmart that in close. I will have my gps, but it will take me to whatever is closest, and I want to avoid the places with negative comments!!;)

There is a Super Target on I(1?)92 not far from Disney; only a few lights away from the theme park

We drove from Universal to a Wal-mart before heading to WDW and it seemed to take forever. Of course, not being familiar with the area, we probably took a "scenic" route, and maybe even went to the farthest Wal-mart...I still don't know.

I never did find a Publix, but the Super-Target is right off the highway, and they have groceries :)

The Super Walmart on 535 is only a short distance off I-4. Or you can go to the Publix that is almost in view of the Interstate. Sometimes the traffic is bad there because of the outlet mall.

Sheila

Assuming you want to get groceries on your way over to ASMO, I would suggest the Publix on Vineland at I-Drive as well. As long as you approach via I-Drive instead of Vineland, there is no traffic to worry about - the outlet mall is a little further down Vineland. But don't let the GPS take you down I-Drive anywhere north of 528 (Beachline) either. That is also very congested. You can get the store address from the Publix Website to plug into your unit.

If you still want to hit Wally's World go back to I-Drive and then south to 535 via World Center Drive. From there, your GPS can get you to ASMO.

Distances are actually pretty short. I find South of Orlando (LBV and Kissimmee) fairly easy and quick to get around. They must have the slowest light cycles in North America however. I swear you can watch the retirees aging next to you while you wait for a green.

Speaking of traffic, download the GPS POI (points of interest) file through Mousesavers.com. I tried it last year on my Garmin, and it really does know quicker routes than the native software. Going to Uni from Vistana, the Garmin took us the front door. Tried again with POI route, and it took us in a back way that saved us 20 min in traffic.

There's a Publix at 9930 Universal Blvd., about 3 1/2 miles from the hotel.

Dick Taylor

Assuming you want to get groceries on your way over to ASMO, I would suggest the Publix on Vineland at I-Drive as well. As long as you approach via I-Drive instead of Vineland, there is no traffic to worry about - the outlet mall is a little further down Vineland. But don't let the GPS take you down I-Drive anywhere north of 528 (Beachline) either. That is also very congested. You can get the store address from the Publix Website to plug into your unit.

If you still want to hit Wally's World go back to I-Drive and then south to 535 via World Center Drive. From there, your GPS can get you to ASMO.

Distances are actually pretty short. I find South of Orlando (LBV and Kissimmee) fairly easy and quick to get around. They must have the slowest light cycles in North America however. I swear you can watch the retirees aging next to you while you wait for a green.

Speaking of traffic, download the GPS POI (points of interest) file through Mousesavers.com. I tried it last year on my Garmin, and it really does know quicker routes than the native software. Going to Uni from Vistana, the Garmin took us the front door. Tried again with POI route, and it took us in a back way that saved us 20 min in traffic.
Thank You, that's the info. I am looking for!

For some reason whenever I use one of the online map sites, everything looks hours away, or it can't find the address I've entered!

I'm headed to CAA to see if they've got some better street maps. I love my GPS, but I like to have maps as well!

So I've been reading the threads and using googlemaps,mapquest etc...to figure out where everything is....but it's confusing me more.:scared1:

I am sure on the map, everything looks further away, and I haven't done the driving distance part of it yet to see exactly how far.:surfweb:

We will be flying in to mco, picking up our rental car and heading to Best Western Plus,7299 Universal Blvd. for one night. I would like to pick up groceries for the week(take them with us to ASMO) somewhere in the area.

I originally thought Walmart, that way if there was anything else we needed etc...But it's really just water, snacks etc... I need. I looked for Publix as recommended, but the closest location looks like it far away.:confused3

Can someone help me with an address to publix, or a quieter Walmart that in close. I will have my gps, but it will take me to whatever is closest, and I want to avoid the places with negative comments!!;)

We went to the Super Target on 192 several times during our stay for "extras." There is a publix right across the street from Target, but i think Target has better prices. DD also picked up swim goggles and a few other things at Target that Publix wouldn't have.

Here is their address: 3200 Rolling Oaks Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34747. It's really just off 192.

BTW: If you are so inclined, there is a Sweet Tomatoes in the same plaza! :-)

Thank You, that's the info. I am looking for!

For some reason whenever I use one of the online map sites, everything looks hours away, or it can't find the address I've entered!

I'm headed to CAA to see if they've got some better street maps. I love my GPS, but I like to have maps as well!

Funny you should mention that. Our Garmin does a very good job in Orlando, but I'm on a shopping weekend right now in Vermont and New Hampshire (staying at Smuggs), and it has messed up 3 times already this weekend!! These mountains are proving too much even for our dear Bossy. (Yes, the kids named the GPS, and if you own one you'll understand the name - recalculating...) :lmao:

Ours is Simon, he's usually pretty good. He has been known to take the long way around and end up almost where we began!
Hopefully he doesn't mess up in Orlando! I picked up my map from CAA today, so I'll have backup just in case he directs me into a lake....

Ours is Simon, he's usually pretty good. He has been known to take the long way around and end up almost where we began!
Hopefully he doesn't mess up in Orlando! I picked up my map from CAA today, so I'll have backup just in case he directs me into a lake....

I think that places like Orlando prove to be a challenge to a GPS because they seem to be adding roads fairly often - particularly so in the Disney area. I'd suggest that you update your GPS unit with the latest version of software before you go on your trip.

Dick Taylor

Another vote for the Publix at Lake Cay Commons, 9930 Universal Boulevard....it is our absolute favorite. The staff there are so friendly and helpful and it is a newer store with lots of selections. It is the first place we head when we arrive in Orlando.

Sandy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter