• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help identify Hotel from 1990

Cazbucket

Mouseketeer
Hope someone can help with this. I cannot remember the name of the hotel we stayed in at LBV in August 1990 and I have tried to locate on subsequent visits.
I am sure there was a Marriott next door, there was an ice cream parlour and I’m sure we were able to walk back from Pleasure Island and that it was also near the now gone Crossroads.
It was all in like a big Square. Comfort Inn rings bells but nothing new or old that I can find, even online, fits.

I had a scrapbook with all the park maps, including Universal, Busch and Seaworld and other ephemera (and $100 Disney Dollars) that I lent to a “friend” prior to his visit who “lost” it.
Clearwater was Holiday Inn Surfside with McDonald’s opposite which I know has all changed but was easy to spot the location.
Sorry I can’t think of anymore details ~ there was a snake in the grass on return from the park one night and we all had to stay on the shuttle until it hade been caught 😂

Caz

You might try looking at YouTube for drive-around or aerial footage videos and photo galleries of the area at the time. Also, a lot of UK visitors stayed in that area then, you might try over on the UK board.

Was it on Disney Property or off? There was a hotel on SR 535 very close to Crossroads that was going by the name Sheraton Safari when I knew it, that was built in a square with an open center. I worked nearby in 2000-2003, so it may have had a different name at one point. There are Marriott brand hotels on either side, and you can walk to the former PI (I used to walk to Disney Springs at lunch when I worked near there). Just a thought . . .IMG_9274.png

In Google Maps, go to the area where Crossroads used to be. Then click street view and in the black Strete View box you'll seen an option to click more dates. You can then enter the year you're looking for and view street view from that time period.

I believe the hotel you are remembering from 1990 is now named Regal Sun Resort and from what i've read about it it used to be a Best Western property and they kept the same things from when it was a Best Western property. Like they offered a character breakfast and it has a dinner show that is a mystery themed dinner show shown on Sunday nights. But it had some remodeling and is still excellent but I don't remember reading if Regal Sun Resort became a Wyndham hotel
Hope this info is helpful

I believe the hotel you are remembering from 1990 is now named Regal Sun Resort and from what i've read about it it used to be a Best Western property and they kept the same things from when it was a Best Western property. Like they offered a character breakfast and it has a dinner show that is a mystery themed dinner show shown on Sunday nights. But it had some remodeling and is still excellent but I don't remember reading if Regal Sun Resort became a Wyndham hotel
Hope this info is helpful
In 1990 the Regal Sun would still have been the Grosvenor. It had a very British vibe, and served British food. Consequently it used to attract a *lot* of UK package-tour guests; no way you could stay there and not encounter them pretty much constantly. If the OP was there at the time the accents would have been noticeable, and possibly memorable. (I stayed there several times.)

The Sheraton Safari was also themed quite heavily, in that case it was all out of Africa. It also had a rather famous waterslide, very large and shaped like a giant spotted snake. That would also have been pretty memorable at the time, I would think. (That hotel also still exists; it's now the Sheraton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Resort. Sadly, the giant snake is gone; the slide is now just an ordinary slide.)

In 1990 the Grosvenor was the closest hotel to Downtown Disney on foot, right across the street on the far corner where Hotel Plaza Blvd. intersected Buena Vista Drive. (The path of the roads right near there have changed a bit; it used to be a standard 4 way intersection entering Downtown Disney near where Earl of Sandwich now is, but was changed so that Buena Vista Drive curves into Hotel Plaza Blvd., allowing drivers to go through without stopping.) The Hilton property is closer, but the building is set back much further; the hotel on the opposite corner stands much closer to the street.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Grosvenor Resort? I think that property is now a Wyndham.

I was thinking of the Grosvenor as well. We stayed there a couple of times in the 1990's. We enjoyed it! We really did like the proximity to Disney Springs (or the Disney Village Marketplace as it was called back in those days).

1695912101803.png

It sort of has the look of a square like the OP remembered.

Thank you all so much ~ I have already searched You Tube and Google maps but didn’t find anything however, I did not realise you could enter dates!
Def wasn’t Sheraton Safari or LBV Suites, I have already discounted them on previous visits.
The road changes make sense so Grosvenor sounds realistic. It was 2004 when I first went back after that and was on I Drive so didn’t take that route
Really, thank you for taking the time to reply and I will get on google maps and input dates.
As I am a Brit and was on a UK package another Pointer 😂
The travel agent I used no longer exists neither does the airline but everything would have been in my scrapbook.

Have a great day all!

Caz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter