Help, I Need Ammo!

twopeasonepod

DIS Veteran
Okay, so just off the Wonder 7/9-16. An incredible experience, and my mom and stepdad bought us DVC on the ship! :woohoo:

We are supposed to go to DLR 10/14-23 to use our APs for the last time (so I booked a conference in San Diego in the middle to make it a business trip).

While looking at the AP rates for GCH, I saw that there is 25% off the California Coastal cruise for AP holders. Wouldn't you know it, the last one is 10/7-14. And we can get the same room (5B) for $3977 (including ground transportation one-way)!!! We paid almost $10K for the Alaska route. It is so cheap!

We really shouldn't spend the money on it, but I love cruising for all the perks and also we will already be buying the airfare anyway. Help me convince DH! What would you say to your spouse?

twopeasonepod said:
Okay, so just off the Wonder 7/9-16. An incredible experience, and my mom and stepdad bought us DVC on the ship! :woohoo:

We are supposed to go to DLR 10/14-23 to use our APs for the last time (so I booked a conference in San Diego in the middle to make it a business trip).

While looking at the AP rates for GCH, I saw that there is 25% off the California Coastal cruise for AP holders. Wouldn't you know it, the last one is 10/7-14. And we can get the same room (5B) for $3977 (including ground transportation one-way)!!! We paid almost $10K for the Alaska route. It is so cheap!

We really shouldn't spend the money on it, but I love cruising for all the perks and also we will already be buying the airfare anyway. Help me convince DH! What would you say to your spouse?

I would say Happy/Merry/Birthday/Christmas/Anniversary.......honey your so lucky, all your shopping is done for the next years worth of occasions :)

When you got DVC on the ship, you probably received points for this year and last (ie. double points). Will you be able to use all your points you got over the next two years? If not, you are able to use DVC points to cruise. They aren't the best value for the $$ compared to the WDW and DL resorts, but if you can't use them within the timeframe, you can significantly decrease your costs by using points. You can even use points for you and your husband and pay $$ for your kids.

If you can't go this route, I normally go the route of the explaining how little you are actually spending per person, per day. Most men like numbers. For you, if I did the numbers right, you probably have 2A and 2K. Thats 4 people times 7 days or about $140 a day/pp. Pretty good deal for an all inclusive vacation.

I would say Happy/Merry/Birthday/Christmas/Anniversary.......honey your so lucky, all your shopping is done for the next years worth of occasions :)

Totally gonna use this! We just had our anniversary and neither of us bought each other anything haha.

When you got DVC on the ship, you probably received points for this year and last (ie. double points). Will you be able to use all your points you got over the next two years? If not, you are able to use DVC points to cruise. They aren't the best value for the $$ compared to the WDW and DL resorts, but if you can't use them within the timeframe, you can significantly decrease your costs by using points. You can even use points for you and your husband and pay $$ for your kids.

If you can't go this route, I normally go the route of the explaining how little you are actually spending per person, per day. Most men like numbers. For you, if I did the numbers right, you probably have 2A and 2K. Thats 4 people times 7 days or about $140 a day/pp. Pretty good deal for an all inclusive vacation.

We can't use points because all the paperwork has not been finalized (they FedEx'd home instead because our meeting was on the last night). Plus, we have also heard that crusing is not good bang for the buck.

But I do LOVE your number theory. Very good deal pp. I will use that for sure! Thank you!

twopeasonepod said:

Congrats on the DVC if you cant use all your points you can try to rent some on the DVC part of disboards that can be used towards your cruise.

Also tell him that you dont know if this cruise itenarary will be offered again plus isnt this one of the Pixar cruises?? Hmmm new theme being done not in the plan again need to take advantage of the opp while you can.

For me as long as I tell DH dont worry I will make the money work he is sold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

HTH.

However, once you do get your points, make sure you watch the previous year points they gave you and ensure you bank them within your window so you don't lose them. When we got our "double" points for joining there was no way we could use them all within the timeframe, so we took a cruise with them. Even though it is not a great deal as compared to the resorts, you get no benefit if you can't use them.

Congrats on the DVC if you cant use all your points you can try to rent some on the DVC part of disboards that can be used towards your cruise.

Also tell him that you dont know if this cruise itenarary will be offered again plus isnt this one of the Pixar cruises?? Hmmm new theme being done not in the plan again need to take advantage of the opp while you can.

For me as long as I tell DH dont worry I will make the money work he is sold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

I was also going to suggest renting. If you don't want to go through the hassle, you could always try to use one of the DVC brokers.

HTH.

However, once you do get your points, make sure you watch the previous year points they gave you and ensure you bank them within your window so you don't lose them. When we got our "double" points for joining there was no way we could use them all within the timeframe, so we took a cruise with them. Even though it is not a great deal as compared to the resorts, you get no benefit if you can't use them.

We are trying to go to Japan next year (or maybe the Med. cruise!), so I will definitely keep this in mind! Unfortunately, we only got the 220 package (best discount for the price) so 440 isn't really that much. But we will work on it!

I am on one of those cruises and booked it way before the plusses and deals started. So excited that it has turned into a Pixar Cruise and I was able to apply the 25% AP discount and was refunded $849 (which almost pays for my Lassiter Winery trip...WHOOP!).
I truly believe that since these cruises aren't selling well this will be the only time this particular route is ever offered, and that is how I'd explain it to my spouse..once in a lifetime trip! Good Luck :)

IF it's not past the time where you can get out of the DVC contract I would cancel it right away and research buying DVC on the resale market. Use the thousands (literally) you would save to go on more cruises.

If you can't do that (or don't want to, as resale is not for every DVC buyer) then I would just say beg. Remind him how much fun the cruise always is!

Good luck!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

IF it's not past the time where you can get out of the DVC contract I would cancel it right away and research buying DVC on the resale market. Use the thousands (literally) you would save to go on more cruises.

I would be really hesitant to canx the contract. If you go to Disney regularly (ie. once a year or more), DVC is a great deal. Plus you can pass the points onto your kids when you get older -- great way to give them an experience for a lifetime. Thank your parents for the gift of a lifetime!

Also, because the resale market was such a good deal, DVC recently changed their policy greatly affecting resales ability to go outside of the Disney Resorts. This also affects using points on DCL and Adventures by Disney See below.

Recently Disney changed their policy on the sale of DVC contracts on the secondary market. Under the new policy, members who purchase from anyone other than Disney, on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use their DVC points to make reservations in the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCI® exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

If you can't do that (or don't want to, as resale is not for every DVC buyer) then I would just say beg. Remind him how much fun the cruise always is!

Good luck!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Um, DVC was a gift to the OP! Although I agree that it would save money, it is a bit tacky to return such a wonderful gift.

Isn't that the week of the Hawaii DOE fall break?

Hawaiian is having some West Coast airfare specials as well ... ;)

I'm super tempted to sign up for one myself but DH is all out of vacation between our two week DisneyWorld trip in Dec and our skiing trip in January. He'd never forgive me if I took DS5 without him ...

Isn't that the week of the Hawaii DOE fall break?

Hawaiian is having some West Coast airfare specials as well ... ;)

I'm super tempted to sign up for one myself but DH is all out of vacation between our two week DisneyWorld trip in Dec and our skiing trip in January. He'd never forgive me if I took DS5 without him ...

The boys go to private school so they don't have a break, but I take them out anyway. I'm pretty sure they won't flunk first grade haha. DOE break is the week of 10/1.

I saw the Hawaiian fare specials, but all four of us are Premier members on United and hoping for first class upgrades! And I think the Hawaiian fares go everywhere BUT LA. Junk!

Maybe you should use the "once in a lifetime" spiel as well! DH has softened his stance. I'm hoping to book soon!

Um, DVC was a gift to the OP! Although I agree that it would save money, it is a bit tacky to return such a wonderful gift.

I don't think I even have the ability to cancel/return. It is for us but under their name as primary. And I wouldn't return it anyway. I am enormously grateful!

I still haven't even told him that it is Pixar. He will be convinced after that, I hope. Or I'll go without him haha.

Even these being a Pixar cruise didn't convince my DH and he loves them. :sad2: And we found a great deal that will only be a couple of hundred dollars more than our four nights at DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter