• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! I need a menu for a luncheon!

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
I'm hosting a baby shower luncheon for a close friend next weekend. There are only going to be about six of us there. Can anybody give me some ideas of what to serve? I need some pretty simple ideas, because I'm not much of a cook! Can anybody help me??

Hi Gem!

I guess I'd start off with some questions.

What time of day will it be?
Do you want the shower to be somewhat formal or casual? (I'm guessing casual.)
Do you want to do all of the cooking? Buy some prepared items?

I do have some ideas, but it would depend on the things above.

I'll check the thread later.
It may be sometime tomorrow before I can respond.

Annemarie

A friend of mine made a sub sandwich that was really good. She took 2 of those cans of French Loaf bread that Pillsbury or somebody makes. She curved them on the cookie sheet to make a circle and baked it. When it was done she cut it horizontally and put ham, turkey, lettuce on it and had tomatoes, onions, and condiments on the side. Then cut it in individual slices. It made a really good sandwich. Hope this makes sense, It's hard to describe!

In the past, I've done several brunch showers. Some of the things I've had (not necessarily at the same time :) ): Spiral sliced ham, egg strata with ham or sausage (great because you make it the night before, ginger lime chicken salad, mini hot ham and cheese sandwiches(again you make the night before), reuban casserole, add a nice fruit salad or platter with fruit dip, cheese and crackers, or homemade mac and cheese or homemade scallop potatoes and you are about set. Below, I'll include the hot ham and cheese recipe because it's sooo easy and everyone raves about it and they are actually very pretty because the rolls glisten. Good luck!

Mini Hot Ham And Cheese Sandwiches

2 packs of mini dinner roll (Martin’s potato rolls)
1 lb. Of chipped ham, I use tavern or honey
¾ lb. Of swiss cheese sliced thin

2 sticks of butter
2T of worchestershire sauce
2 T of spicy deli mustard
2 T poppy seeds
4 T brown sugar

Bring above to boil (not ham, cheese or rolls of course)
Slice open rolls and fill with ham and one slice of cheese close. Put in dish with lip. Stir sauce and pour over sandwiches. Bake at 350 t ill cheese melts. Watch carefully so rolls do not get crusty.

Well, the luncheon will be around noon and it will be pretty small and casual - just our closest friends.

Thanks for the ideas so far. That giant sandwhich sounds great, but the mother-to-be isn't supposed to eat un-heated lunch meat.

The hot sandwhiches sound great! I'd love to have the recipe for the ruben cassarole and the giner lime chicken salad!

Any other ideas??:)

To make the mini ham and cheese ahead, you would make the sandwiches and cover them well with saran wrap. Refrigerate. When you put them in the dish have them all closely touching one another.

You can then make the sauce ahead and refrigerate that also and then the next day you pop it in the microwave and pour over the sandwiches and then bake! Easy!

I don't have the ginger lime recipe handy but you can do a search in the recipe forum and it should come up, if not let me know, I'll get it.

Don't have time this minute for the reuban but I'll be back with it.
Thanks!

Robyn

Gem,

My mom has a great recipe for fruit pizza. She's made it for a few brunch showers (but now that I think of it, anytime would be ok) It goes fast! Start with ready made (in a roll) cookie dough (mom usually uses sugar cookie dough, but she's used chocolate chip too) in a pizza pie pan, roll it out so it covers the bottom. Bake it like it's a big cookie. After it cools spread some softened cream cheese across it, then layer peaches, strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, kiwi, etc. It was refreshing and light. :D

The hot sandwhich is a good idea!

If I think of anything else, I'll pass it on. :D

Annemarie

I meant to apologize, Gem for asking what time your shower would be!

I see you had already said "luncheon". It was late when I saw your post. I guess I was more tired than I thought I was. :D

Annemarie

Don't worry about it. Everybody has days like that! ;) Thanks again for the help, everybody. That fruit pizza sounds great!

Originally posted by GEM
I'd love to have the recipe for the ruben cassarole and the giner lime chicken salad!

Any other ideas??:)

I just kind of wing this so there really are not a lot of precise measurements, sorry.

1 bag of saurkraut
1 and 1/2 lb. deli corned beef
About 3 cups of shredded swiss or maybe 2 packs of sliced
thousand Island dressing
caraway seeds
1 loaf of either marble rye, pumpernickle or rye. I like the pepperidge farm brand with the rye and pump swirled.

Butter a caserole dish (smaller than 9 x 13) If using 9 x 13 need more ingredients. Drain kraut. Cover bottom of dish with kraut and sprinkle lightly with caroway seeds. Lightly drizzle with dressing. Layer corned beef over kraut. Again drizzle with dressing. Cover with cheese. Slice bread into chunky cubes and cover dish. Drizzle with butter lightly. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for maybe 15 min. then uncover and bake till bread is lightly toasted. Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter