Help .....I need a commando intervention

grumpynprincess

Mouseketeer
Ever since I was a little kid, I can remember touring WDW commando style. It was always crowded and we would tour fast and hit every possible attraction.
Now I have two children of my own ( 4 and 3) and commando style doesnt work very well with all the snack and bathrooon breaks. My questions is since I am so used to commando style, how easy is it to switch to a slower pace touring style? What can I do to avoid feeling like I'm missing something by not rushing?
I would love to experience all the hidden gems at the magic kingdom I have missed by rushing but I don't know where the are. Anything u can suggest ? Thanks again

Since our first DD was born, I have been in the same situation as you. I love to do it all and go from open to close, but that isn't possible right now. The girls determine what we do and when we do it. It took a couple of times, but Ive accepted that now. I don't miss the rushing as much as I thought I would. If you haven't in a while, I would suggest just going on the Railway around MK or on the riverboat. You will probably notice things you haven't seen before, or have forgotten.

You might discover what we did...commando is genetic. DD was 2 yrs 10 months on her first trip. We had all the plans for the nice take it easy afternoon break. Tried it the first day and got a kicking screaming hissy fitting child that refused to nap at the resort for 2-3 hours. When we finally gave up and went back to the parks, she was immediately happy. She is now 6 and has been to WDW 5 times. Since that first day she has been an open to close in the parks every day kid. She does not want a day off during the week. Occasionally around 8:00 p.m., she might say "Okay, I'm tired now, let's go back to the hotel", but that is not the norm. More often than not that happens in Epcot when it starts to get dark because she knows that means Illuminations will be soon and she HATES Illuminations! :laughing: She absolutely loves Epcot and we spend 2 days there but she wants to be out of there before that nighttime show starts. You just never know!

The main thing with kids that age is to be flexible. You never know how they are going to be at WDW until you get there. You just need to be ready to change plans if things aren't working for them. Also, you have to be flexible in doing some of what they like to do, as opposed to what you like to do. If they want to ride the boat ride in Mexico in Epcot 5 times in a row, and there is no line, let them (we have a 5 time cut off!). DD still cares much more about meeting the characters than any of the rides, although she likes the rides too. You just have to realize that you might not be able to do it all.

Could you set a goal that is attainable but not overwhelming. I don't know how many days you plan on being there and how many days you want to spend in MK.

But you could plan on hitting every ride over period of a few days rather than one. Or you can plan on doing one ride and one attraction in land before going back and hitting something new or repeating the favorites.

I too recommend exploring the Tom Sawyer Island, riding the riverboat, taking the train, enjoying ice cream at the Plaza, getting a snack at the bakery, ride the people mover, participate in a pin trading challenge (try to collect all the villains of your favorite movies or all the princesses etc. I spent a whole week just looking for a scar pin. I found one on my last day. It was so much fun).

Take time to eat at Liberty Tree Tavern or Crystal Palace or better yet Cinderella's Royal Table.

Use your fastpasses well.

Tell the kids you will visit the other stuff next time. My family took 8 trips to finally experience everything. And now things have changed and we are ready to see more. We also enjoy taking the boat ride down to visit Wilderness Lodge and the Wilderness Campground.

I really have nothing of value here to add, since DH and I (no kids) usually tour commando style.

I just know our world will change once we have children, and I'm dreading it so much. Not having children, but how much different visiting WDW will be. We have said in the past that we might not come back until our child can keep up with us, but I just don't know if I can stay away that long.

Good luck, OP! Let us know how it goes!

You may get more tips over on the "Disney for Families" board. However, you probably do not really need instructions on how to stop and smell the roses, but here are some ideas:

EPCOT:
Bring a change of clothes for your little ones when you go to Epcot. Let them play and splash to their heart's content in the jumping fountains on the way to World Showcase. Sit down and actually enjoy watching them play.

Japanese candy lady

The jumping fountains at Journey into Imagination

The Fountain of Nations and synchronized music .

The talking water fountains across from the Land pavillion

Buy a passport and have it stamped at each country. Have the CMs write a greeting in their language.

On Soarin’, smell the pine trees, and orange groves. Look for the Mickey sandtrap as Michael Eisner plays golf. There’s a hidden Mickey on the golfball.

MAGIC KINGDOM
Get familiar with the little treasures at the Magic Kingdom that most people miss. For example, the cupid's heart drawn on the sidewalk outside Tony's Town Square restaurant. It has paw prints in it for Lady and the Tramp.

In Liberty Square, point out to your children the Tinkerbelle lamp hanging from a tree.

Behind the castle is a statue of Cinderella. If you look at a right angle, the wall behind her has a crown that seems to settle right on her head.

In Liberty Square, at the Hall of Presidents, look up at the window on the side of the building facing the river heading toward fantasyland. There’s a window upstairs with two lanterns—signifying Paul Revere’s warning “one if by land, two if by sea.”

At Cinderella's Royal Table when you're waiting to be called, stand in front of the throne and look up to the right and you will see Gus and Jacques.

When you ride the Pooh ride smell the honey in the air

See Mr. Toad handing over the deed to his property on the Pooh ride at the end.

Find Push the Talking Trash can in Tomorrowland.

In the market store, pick up the old fashioned telephone hanging on the wall. There’s a party line conversation going on.

In the queue area to go into the Haunted Mansion, there’s a gravestone that comes to life and blinks in a fraction of a second, and by the time you’ve told anyone, it’s back to stone again.

Clawed, scratched floor at Country Bear Jamboree waiting area.

Buzz Lightyear, aim for the Z on Emperor Zurg’s chest, extra points!!! All the moving targets of “Z”s get extra points too.

There's a whole lot more, but you get the idea. Slow down and enjoy what you've been running past all this time!

SLOW DOWN! It's not gonna hurt to take a more relaxed pace.We were "commando"style during a few trips,but since we have been a few times,we have learned to take a more relaxed approach-and it's no less enjoyable;in fact,the relaxed touring style is just plain old less stressful.Sure,we may not get to do this,or that,but hey,at least we're inside the "Disney Bubble"!:goodvibes

Well, to me touring commando does not necessarily mean touring quickly. Touring Commando means that you get there at open and stay til closed and going going going the whole time. IMO that is simply not possible with two young children. Honestly, it really does not fit my personality either as I get tired and grumpy after being on my feet all day!! :)

What I have found is that we have a much better time, see and do a ton more and are far less grumpy and tired (esp. at MK) if we hit rope drop, take a break during the afternoon and then go back at night. The few times we have stayed for the afternoon we have really been miserable. It gets FAR too crowded so it's tough to navigate the park and the lines get crazy long. It's also the hottest part of the day. It just seems like we get very little done and end up FAR more tired.

There are days (usually at HS or Epcot) that we stay the whole day but we do not do so every day or we are all just BEAT.

My advise is to continue to remind yourself that you will NEVER see all there is to see at Disney in one trip. You simply cannot fit it all in. There is always more you can see and do on your next trip. We always focus on what is important to us on each trip and make sure we get those things done. This next trip will be our kids 7th trip (I think) and they will be 7 and 9! We are super excited about this trip because there are some new things we are going to do (water parks and Disney Quest). To me, it makes our trips more exciting knowing that we will try new things every trip!

Yes on the "genetic commando" thing. That's how it always has been with our son as well. He's 12 now, and can't wait to spend 16 hours straight in the Magic Kingdom

Just remember that it will all still be there (for the most part)for your next visit. If you miss something, just add it as a priority for the next trip!

All you need to do is simply look at your kids and let them run the vacation this time. Trust me, you won't regret it. I was pulling my then 3 year old son up Main Street trying to beat the crowds and all he wanted to do was stop and see the "horses". There were none in sight so I told him to stop being silly. All he wanted to do was see the horsehead hitching posts on the street. Simple thing really and that's what a 3 year old wanted to do. So we did. And the trip was fantastic. We didn't get to do everything but we've been back with him several times and somehow, every trip has had very special moments. You just have to slow down to see those moments and stop concentrating on the attractions. The attractions will still be there tomorrow, the moments won't.

Ever since I was a little kid, I can remember touring WDW commando style.

I have to be honest.... At first I thought you meant you toured WDW without underwear (you know... "commando"), and I couldn't figure out why the heck you'd be discussing such a thing here and why that had anything to do with having children now. :)

Touring with children is just a different kind of touring, not "Oh we'll never be able to have fun again" kind of touring. See WDW through their eyes, go at their pace. We enjoy taking a break back at the resort. They have awesome pools at WDW, I would hate to pay that much for a resort and not take some time to enjoy the amenities. Let your little one have a chance to experience the pool. You don't have to nap or swim, but a break from the parks, even in the parks can be a welcome thing. Playing in the splash fountains can be a wonderful thing.

Take time to enjoy your children enjoying WDW.

I have to be honest.... At first I thought you meant you toured WDW without underwear (you know... "commando"), and I couldn't figure out why the heck you'd be discussing such a thing here and why that had anything to do with having children now. :)

That is what I thought too. I was like hmmm, no undies at disney!

Ever since I was a little kid, I can remember touring WDW commando style. It was always crowded and we would tour fast and hit every possible attraction.
Now I have two children of my own ( 4 and 3) and commando style doesnt work very well with all the snack and bathrooon breaks. My questions is since I am so used to commando style, how easy is it to switch to a slower pace touring style? What can I do to avoid feeling like I'm missing something by not rushing?
I would love to experience all the hidden gems at the magic kingdom I have missed by rushing but I don't know where the are. Anything u can suggest ? Thanks again

What can you possibly be missing, honestly your children's enjoyment. You've been to WDW numerous time right? You'll continue to go right? So whats the big deal? Enjoy the world through your kids eyes. Relax.:yay::yay: You're at Disney! Besides it would take you almost a year and a 1/2 to see, eat and do everything in Disney and that's before the expansion!

:lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter