Help! I have a cold..any suggestions?

CatDisney16

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. I have just came down with a cold (runny nose and a slight sore throat). I am leaving in 2 days and I really don't want the cold to effect my trip. I've heard espically that people really ahouldnt fly with a cold. Please let me kno if anyone else has ever had this problem and what you did to help it. Thank you very much!

I'm a substitute teacher and spend a lot of time around kids and their germs.

I take Airborne as soon as I start to feel a bit icky, and continue to take it till I feel better again. It runs about $5 a pack at Wal-Mart. There is also a gummy version that you can chew on. I eat those when my throat is sore and it makes it feel better (although they taste pretty yucky).

Sorry to hear you feel sick right before your trip, feel better!

Try taking a decongestant a little before your flight so that you're not so congested. If you're ears ache try warm washclotes against the ear, gum, and upside down cups held against the ears.

Try Zicam. I'm a teacher and so I get colds quite often. Any time I start to feel a cold coming on, I take Zicam. It keeps me from feeling bad, cuts the cold down to about 5 days. I've used it twice this year so far and my husband is using it right now. He's feeling a lot better too. HTH:goodvibes

My Doctor always tells me a cold will go away in a week or seven days, which ever comes first! :rotfl2: Real funny guy my Doctor. Seriously, it may sound corny but I just drink LOTS of water, get a good decongestant, eat some home made chicken soup and wait it out. Stay positive, this too shall pass.....

I second Zicam. We've tried Airborne and like it as well but Zicam seems to really zap it for us! Hope you feel better!

Many years ago, I flew to WDW with a bad head cold. My ears really hurt when the plane was descending, and they stayed "stuffed up" for about three days after I arrived (drove me crazy - I couldn't hear well at all and everything was very muffled). The altitude change really goofed my ears up!

I would do two things, if I were you:

1) Call your doctor's office and ask what they recommend when flying with a cold. You could use a decongestant pill or nose spray.

2) Try a product called "Earplanes." They're special earplugs that are used to help with altitude changes on planes. Somehow, they help equalize the pressure.

Good luck!

I still swear that dayquil is a mircle cure! I use it for er... evey illness under the sun (works great on sore throats)

You should talk to your doctor, but here is what I do:

1) Take sudafed or other decongestant, timed for maximum effectiveness when your plane descends (that is when the pressure is the hardest on your congested ears.)

2) Take a pain killer for your flight as well, like Tylenol. Then if your ears do hurt, you don't have to wait for the pain killer to take effect.

3) Bring gum or lollipop for sucking on, it helps your ears adjust to the pressure changes.

4) Timing: bring extra meds in case of delays. I've waited until boarding begins to take meds, just in case. You want maximum effect when the plane begins to descend to your destination.

I've flown with colds lots of times over the years. Having the right medicines can make all the difference.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you are taking Zicam or Coldezze. While they won't get rid of your cold, they will help reduce symptoms.

I agree with all of those who told you to take a decongestant with you. Take it about 1 hr before you land and you'll do much better. You don't want to walk around with blocked ears for a few days!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter