Help! How am I going to get all this to California?

Karenj2

Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!
Hey all - my family (DH, DD5, and twin DDs2 and I) are traveling with my MIL & FIL to SoCal to visit my BIL and his family for our nephew's graduation. We're staying with them for 5 days, then traveling up to DL and staying there for 4 days. The problem is, my BIL & his family have no sources for Pack-n-plays (which my babies have learned to climb/fall out of), strollers, etc. So we have to bring/rent all of it! YIKES!

So far, on my list of things to bring are:
- 2 Lotus Everywhere "cribs" (pack-n-plays that are much more portable, from Guava Family) I'm not sure if we're going to bring these as carry ons, or try to pack them in a suitcase.
- Our stroller (a city select double - stadium style front to back seating) I'm not sure how we're going to get it on the plane, but I think we'll pack one of the seats and use it as a single for our 5yo in the airport, because then it will fold up somewhat easily.
- THREE car seats?!?! This is where I'm having the biggest issue - we need car seats in CA and possibly on the plane for the 2yos. I'd leave ours home and just rent seats from the car rental agency, but we're getting a cab/van from our in-laws house to our home airport, and I don't know if they have car seats for us to use. (we could take all three and check them all, take all 3 and only check one, take two & rent one in CA, or don't take any and use CARES harnesses for the 2yos.
- 2 booster seats (Muchkin travel seats) - these fold up nicely and can be packed in a suitcase.
- 2 soft sided carriers (which we'll use in the airport)

I talked to my DH, and he doesn't want to rent the cribs/stroller. (I even looked into ideas from people going to WDW, and was going to see about buying cheap PnPs & umbrella strollers and then donate them to Goodwill, but the CA website for Goodwill says that they don't accept baby related items.)

And that's all BEFORE I pack the diapers, clothes, etc.! Any suggestions?

If you don't already own the Lotus Everywhere cribs, I would have them mailed to your BIL's house (or I guess even if you do, you could mail them ground rate for not too much money). Gate check the stroller/car seats. Wear the 2 year olds in the carriers (if possible) through the airport. Use the cares harness on the plane. I would also ship diapers/wipes from Amazon, so you don't have to take up space in your suitcase

See, I knew I'd get someone's help! Thank you!

We always order from Diapers.com, so I was already planning on doing that for some of the diapers/wipes & snacks. And the babies love the carriers, so that won't be a problem.

I forgot to mention that we're going to my parent's house Fri-Monday of Memorial Day weekend (they have the pack-n-plays that my kids can escape from), then driving up to my MIL & FILs house to spend the night, then we're getting picked up there to go to the airport because they live much closer to the airport than we do and we have an early flight. I loved your idea about shipping the LE cribs ahead of time, but I was going to use them at my MILs house. Maybe I can figure out a way to keep them contained there...

Good idea about gate checking the car seats & stroller!

If you have to mail the lotus cribs, can you take the pnp from your mom's house, and use them for the 1 night at your in laws? Also, your BIL may not have any of these items for you to borrow, but could they ask their friends if they happen to have any of them? Maybe ask if they could ask on facebook (if they use it) if anyone would be willing to let you borrow these things for your trip?

one more thing- you might actually want the car seats for the plane ride- not sure how long it will be, or how your kids will do, but for longer flights by son does better in his car seat (it's his spot, and he knows he has to sit it in, not wiggle around).

As you have 4 adults and 3 kids I would have on or 2 adults pre-board with the car seats and set them up, then the have the kids board as late as possible. I liked my DD secured in her carseat on the flight and she fell asleep ! the packnplay's if you can get them in a suitcase that would be great. I would check the stroller and use the carrier in tha airport. What airline are you flying? Double check their baggage policy. Are you/DH or the in-laws frequent fliers with status? This may help with baggage. If the twins are 2 you would have to buy them seat and the would be each have their own baggage allowance. I would take enough diapers /wipes to last the travel time plus a bit extra, and order online and directly ship some to BIL's house . Good Luck!

If your kids are climbing out and falling out of pack and play, why are you using them? Young could skip those, and just have a couple cheap baby gates sent to where you'll be staying. Have your hosts put them on the curb on trash day after you leave;someone will scavenge them.

That sounds like so much gear. When we travel with DD 2, we just take an umbrella stroller and the car seat, and diapers. We co-sleep with mattress on the floor in the hotel room, she sits in a regular chair at meal times, and we just carry her instead of a using a carrier. She's been too big for a carrier for some time.

For the car seats, I'd take those on the plane. Attach them to your carry on with one of the inexpensive car seat travel straps they sell.

Your twins are two? Can they just sleep in a bed with bedrails or mattress on the floor/air mattress, etc? Booster for the 5 year old instead of a car seat? Car seats on the plane or CARES harnesses for the 2 year olds on the plane. I would skip the booster seats for eating and just make do with a regular chair. Can you bring two single strollers instead of the huge double?

Also, your BIL may not have any of these items for you to borrow, but could they ask their friends if they happen to have any of them?
We did ask, and they asked around their neighborhood (they're not on FB), but their youngest is 14, so they just don't have any connections to someone with pack-n-plays (of any kind).

one more thing- you might actually want the car seats for the plane ride- not sure how long it will be, or how your kids will do, but for longer flights by son does better in his car seat (it's his spot, and he knows he has to sit it in, not wiggle around).
Yeah - that's still a debate... The last time we flew (to WDW, a 2.5 hour flight), we used the seats. I think they'd probably stay contained better in the car seat since it's familiar, but it's such a pain to install on the plane (at least while watching the twins & 5 year old at the same time.)

As you have 4 adults and 3 kids I would have on or 2 adults pre-board with the car seats and set them up, then the have the kids board as late as possible. I liked my DD secured in her carseat on the flight and she fell asleep ! the packnplay's if you can get them in a suitcase that would be great. I would check the stroller and use the carrier in tha airport. What airline are you flying? Double check their baggage policy. Are you/DH or the in-laws frequent fliers with status? This may help with baggage. If the twins are 2 you would have to buy them seat and the would be each have their own baggage allowance. I would take enough diapers /wipes to last the travel time plus a bit extra, and order online and directly ship some to BIL's house . Good Luck!
Great points!! Maybe I'll see if DH and my FIL can go on early and install the seats - as I said above, the biggest pain is installing them while the kids are around... Also, my inlaws are FFs, so we might be able to have them "claim" one of our suitcases as theirs!

If your kids are climbing out and falling out of pack and play, why are you using them? Young could skip those, and just have a couple cheap baby gates sent to where you'll be staying. Have your hosts put them on the curb on trash day after you leave;someone will scavenge them.
That sounds like so much gear. When we travel with DD 2, we just take an umbrella stroller and the car seat, and diapers. We co-sleep with mattress on the floor in the hotel room, she sits in a regular chair at meal times, and we just carry her instead of a using a carrier. She's been too big for a carrier for some time.
For the car seats, I'd take those on the plane. Attach them to your carry on with one of the inexpensive car seat travel straps they sell.
LOL - you don't have twins... Our biggest thing to keep us sane is CONTAINMENT!! Co-sleeping is out of the question, because we just wouldn't sleep. All 5 of us will be in one room in my BIL's house, but it's nicely decorated and not kid proof. Their stairways are double-width (picture Gone with the Wind staircase). We'll still bring the Everywhere Cribs, because it'll be a familiar place to sleep, plus *if* they crawl out, it's lower to the ground so they're less likely to get hurt.

Your twins are two? Can they just sleep in a bed with bedrails or mattress on the floor/air mattress, etc? Booster for the 5 year old instead of a car seat? Car seats on the plane or CARES harnesses for the 2 year olds on the plane. I would skip the booster seats for eating and just make do with a regular chair. Can you bring two single strollers instead of the huge double?
We're going to need to bring an air mattress for our DD5 (which I forgot to list), but there won't me enough floor space for three mattresses. Besides, as I mentioned above - with twins, containment is key! I like the idea of the booster seat for our 5yo - that would be awesome as long as she meets the height/weight requirements. The reason I like the booster seats for the twins for eating is that they tend to climb on chairs (and the table) and sitting in the boosters means I can strap them in (containment again!)

Have you seen these? Much cheaper and easier to pack..
http://www.kidco.com/products-page/peapod-plus/peapod-plus-p401/
I LOVE those! I actually have one that we had bought and used for our now 5yo when she was younger, but when we tried it at home for the twins, they hated it (screamed bloody murder every time we zipped it shut.) I was so bummed, because that is much easier...

I understand having to "contain" them. With 2 or 3 they feed off each other. I only have one kid, but by age 2 I needed to "contain" her. Her first flight was at age 3. She loved her carseat and knew it meant that she had to remain seated. I was also familiar and she has a short nap! I sent DH on ahead with the carseat and stayed back (our gate was right near the Play Area in the airport and let her run and climb and did a last minute potty break. Then we boarded with our seating group.

I understand having to "contain" them. With 2 or 3 they feed off each other. I only have one kid, but by age 2 I needed to "contain" her. Her first flight was at age 3. She loved her carseat and knew it meant that she had to remain seated. I was also familiar and she has a short nap! I sent DH on ahead with the carseat and stayed back (our gate was right near the Play Area in the airport and let her run and climb and did a last minute potty break. Then we boarded with our seating group.
Thank you for understanding... I sometimes feel like a bad mom, but I just want them to survive childhood! After this trip, I'm sure we'll be looking for toddler beds for them, but I don't have time to "train" them to stay in bed prior to this trip, and they like to gang up on their older sister who will be in the room with us.

I really suggest car seats on the plane. If you have a turbulence situation, they're so much safer in the seats. I also would never rent them, because goodness knows what those seats have gone through.
Can you buy a cheap side by side umbrella stroller or 2 singles for the trip? It would be so much easier than dealing with the big stroller, and much less heart breaking if it got damaged while checked.
Look into packable booster seats for the twins. http://www.amazon.com/Tot-Seat-Chai...=1430783868&sr=8-13&keywords=travel+highchair We used to just wrap scarves around the kids to create something similar.
I think if I were in your place, I'd have as much shipped out ahead of time to BILs house as I could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter