• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help!! having a shoe squabble with my 16 yr DD

crissyp

Mouseketeer
Hoping you guys can shed some insight on my "stubborn" 16 "DD" regarding her selection of footwear that she's bringing.
Flip Flops, Flip Flops and more Flip Flops...:rolleyes: Mind you, some of them are alittle dressier than the others.... anyway, are those appropriate for dinner:confused: and also I'm trying to get through her "thick" head that these won't be the best for the parks, we're spending 5 days there after the cruise. I'm sure there are rides and attractions that she might have the problem of these falling off her feet....This is our 1st cruise, and 1st trip to the parks, so I'm alittle confused about this....Any suggestions, and I will make sure to sit her little butt down at this PC to read replies...
Again, thanks:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:
Chris

Just mandate what you want.

1 pair of sneakers
flip-flops
1 pair of mary janes or other dinner appropriate sandals

or, if you want to be the hero, pack her sneakers on your own, and when she complains about her sore, tired feet, pull them out and do the "I told you so" dance. :teeth:

See you in 2 weeks!

Well i'm 14 so this may help. For the boat the flipflops will be fine. But for dinner that may not work. Try those shoes with the heels at the back (think they're called stiletoes sor something). Then for a the parks flipflops will work but just 1 nice pair of sneakers make walking more comfortable. That way if it is the the sun isn't beating down on your feet the whole time.

I have a 12 yr.old DD who just looooves shoes- and often wants to wear shoes that I deem unacceptable- like another poster said, I think on the ship, flip flops would be fine, but for dinner she'll need something nicer-How if you allowed her to get a new pair of shoes just for the occasion? - I'm thinking a trip to Walmart or Payless for a cheepie pair- but a pair that you both could agree on?

In the parks I would bet she's gonna get tired feet-MAKE her pack her sneakers or some other pair of comfortable shoes/sandals that will be good walking shoes-

cathym

Flip flops for the ship are great. A cute pair of sandals..yes, from payless or something like that would be great to go with her dinner outfits on the ship.

For the parks...ugh...I can't imagine walking all day in flip flops...very hard on your feet. If she doesn't want comfy sneakers..why not check out a pair of teva sandals for her..now, she would walk all day in them..with no problem..great arch support and they look cool. I have found them at sports authority and our local dillards department store.

I have posted this pic before about our teens and their friends...but for those of you who have not seen it before...this is what a cabin with 4 teenage girls looks like regarding shoes!!!!

There are even more that are not in the shot...they are lined all the way across the back of the sofa....they each have their own suitcase and we told them whatever you pack, you carry!!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/50699182/57726760txYpVs

MJ

You NEED a good pair of tennis shoes (I love my Reeboks) for the parks.

Flip-flops are great for days at sea on the cruise and the beach, but you'll be so glad you have walking shoes if you take them.:D

(BTW, I love flip-flops, have numerous pairs, but they just are not comfy enough for five days at the parks.)

Hope this helps.:tongue:

Have a great time!

Old Navy has flip flop high heels right now, and they're pretty nice looking. Check here for a picture (and they're not expensive).

I think wearing flip flops at the parks is fine. I go almost every weekend and wear flip flops everytime (except when it's cold out). They prevent my feet from getting blisters.

Remember, this is a vacation...have fun!! :)

mmouse
:faint: I'm just sitting her with my mouth open. Speechless.
I agree. Glad I only have my DS. (My only problem with him would of course be convincing him that underwear and sox need to be changed on a semi-regular basis:rolleyes: )

OK Chris- I can't believe I'm going to say this- but let her wear what she wants to as far as shoes are concerned. Just make sure she understands that you will NOT hear her complaints about her discomfort (whether it is physical or psychological discomfort- because she's embarrassed because she only has flip flops for formal night) If she wants new shoes because she is uncomfortable- she needs to make sure she has some money to buy them with- because your money is all accounted for. I've fought the battle before- it's not worth the fight as long as she understands the rules.... It's a relatively harmless way for her to learn what may be a hard lesson, on her own- let her do it.

(BUT, you can still be THE MOM and have a pair of her tennies packed just in case- and save her butt from what we all know is inevitable!)

Originally posted by mmouse37
I have posted this pic before about our teens and their friends...but for those of you who have not seen it before...this is what a cabin with 4 teenage girls looks like regarding shoes!!!!

LOL! Too funny, mmouse!!! I hope this was for a 7 day cruise and not a 3 or 4 day!!!

thankyou, thankyou and thankyou all again!!!I will make sure she reads all your posts....I'm still laughing over all of them:) and the picture of all the shoes in the teenagers room had me rolling, I just hope my guys are as neat as that!!

OMG -- I could never imagine wearing flip-flops through the parks over 5 days!

I pack at least one good pair of running shoes but a pair of Tevas might be an acceptable compromise for park walking. I live and die in my Tevas on camping trips when I am walking all over the Catskills.

Dinner on the ship -- she's going to need some sort of shoe -- I would bet she could find some really cute shoes that are flip-floppyish strappy sandals but dressy at DSW Shoe Warehouse (there are several on LI)

Enjoy the trip :wave2:

Originally posted by mmouse37

There are even more that are not in the shot...they are lined all the way across the back of the sofa....they each have their own suitcase and we told them whatever you pack, you carry!!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/50699182/57726760txYpVs

MJ

I counted 22 pairs in that picture. The most I've ever brought on a cruise was 3 (sneaks, dress, and flip flops)

I think you have to do some bargining. Let her bring an assortment of flip flops for the ship/ports/beach, etc. BUT, "real" shoes should be worn to dinner. Give her the option of wearing them to the parks, but tell her she must pack her tennies as a back up and NOT complain to anyone about hot/tired/sore feet.

I personally would find some TEVA sandals for the parks...VERY comfortable sandals.

LisaCA

I personally couldn't handle wearing running shoes in the parks. Too hot on my feet but I wouldn't dare wear flip flops! If she has a good pair of sandals that would be better and wouldn't be as bad as full out shoes. My Nike sandals for 7 days straight even in the bad weather last time I was down. I love them!

I teach high school -- trust me, flip-flops are ALL the teens are wearing these days. The cheerleaders even wear them with their uniforms, and it looks . . . odd. I was just thinking about it yesterday. When I was in high school, NO ONE would have worn those dollar-store plastic type flip-flops to school. We loved the Bass leather version of flip-flops, but plastic was very much OUT! How things change. Let's just be glad that the jelly-shoe thing is gone too.

I'd tell her that she MUST pack a pair of good tennis shoes along with all those flip-flops. Tell her she might not end up wearing them, but she would have them if she chooses. Don't harp on it too much -- she'll know they're there.

On the boat, flip-flops are acceptable during the day. I wouldn't suggest them for excursions because there's going to be more walking than she expects. As for evening, what do her dresses look like? If they're long (and with prom season coming up I know that long dresses are in style, so I'm guessing that your teen likes long), I wouldn't worry about the shoes. On the other hand, if her dresses are short, she needs something more appropriate. I would put my foot down about dinner; she can choose all day long, but for dinner it will be this pair.

FWIW, I'm 35, and I wear my Old Navy flip-flops (although the thong part is nylon, not plastic) everytime we go to WDW (usually once a month.) I wear them all day, every day, and I'm usually carrying my 20+ pound DD in a sling most of the day, too. I have very wide feet, and sneakers are just too hot and confining for me.

I wore them the entire time on our cruise last summer, except for dinner, when I wore nicer shoes/sandals. I did see plenty of women and girls wearing fancier flip-flop type shoes with casual skirts at dinner, and it didn't seem that out of place to me, but we were on a 3-night cruise, which I believe is less formal.

Just wait until she gets sunburnt on top of her foot wearing flip flops. My DD16 did and was misarable! If you wear flip flops don't forget to use sunscreen!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter