• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help haven't flown since before 9/11.

chartle

DIS Veteran
Its not about the security but as a family growing up we never flew and I've only flown a few times and only once with my family.

The last time was before 9/11 and when people went to actual travel agents to book flights and the airlines actually paid them to do it.

But anyway what do people suggest. We will need flight, hotel in a specific area and a small cheap car. Good news is a no longer have to entertain a 8 and 7 year old. Only the 8 year old is going and he is now 25. :)

You can still use travel agents if you prefer but now you can use most sites and have them build packages for you. I prefer to use Kayak to price out airfare. With disney you can always use their disney site to see what's available, etc.

If you're looking to do hotel, air and car a Kayak can do that for you or some use Costco as well.

I use Expedia to check different flights then go to the specific airline to book with them online so I don't have to deal with a middleman if there is problem. Our hotel is already taken care of because of DVC, if not then I use Expedia. With a car rental I will do the same process as with a flight.

Also just to ad, this is for a trip to San Antonio in June.

Not to WDW :sad1:

I use Expedia to check different flights then go to the specific airline to book with them online so I don't have to deal with a middleman if there is problem. Our hotel is already taken care of because of DVC, if not then I use Expedia. With a car rental I will do the same process as with a flight.

We use Expedia too but Southwest isn't on their list so I go to SWA's web site, and they usually have better deals than Expedia, depending on whether SWA has a lot of flights out of the airports we need.

For car rentals we stay with one agency to build points for discounts on future rentals.

I search airfare prices on Kayak, only actually book on the airline's site.
I book hotels directly myself.
If you have a Costco card, check Costco travel for rental cars. I was very happy with using them a couple of months ago.

As was mentioned use a site like Expedia to see all the choices and then go directly to the specific airline/hotel/car rental and book it yourself. Cars can be cancelled and re-booked with no penalties so keep checking back for a better deal.

Has the 25 year old flown since he became an adult? He might have helpful info, if he has done so.

Like pp's I use kayak, expeida or orbitz to research hotels, airfare and car rentals then book directly with the airline, hotel, car rental company. I like control of the reservation with regard to cancellation, information on flight changes etc. You do have to check a couple airlines directly as they don't show on the travel sites, jet blue and SWA come to mind.

When looking at airfare pay attention not only to base fare but check for advance seat choice fees, checked bag fees, carryon bag fees and other expenses that can add up quickly. Sometimes the first choice base fare seems like a great deal until you add on the "extras".

Once you find good rate you may want to sign up for the program reward/loyalty card as there could be perks even on the first visit. IE, National Car rental card, Marriott Rewards, Airline FF card, even if you don't think you will need them in the future they could come in handy.

Since you haven't flown in a while head to the TSA website and become familiar with the new security measures. It's pretty straightforward and will tell you what you can and can't bring through security etc.

Has the 25 year old flown since he became an adult? He might have helpful info, if he has done so.
Nope still in school and lives at home that's why he can go. Other son will be in NY having just started his new job.

I search airfare prices on Kayak, only actually book on the airline's site.

Like pp's I use kayak, expeida or orbitz to research hotels, airfare and car rentals then book directly with the airline,

kayak doesn't sell anything. Linking to the provider website directly from the kayak search screen to make your purchase is how the site makes any money.

kayak doesn't sell anything. Linking to the provider website directly from the kayak search screen to make your purchase is how the site makes any money.
Yes, I know Kayak doesn't sell anything. I use Kayak for additional information. I open a new window (sometimes in a different browser;))... to, say Delta. I search and book there. Now and then the results are slightly different, even though it would seem they should be the same. I like choice. :D

Last edited:
Not sure if your directing this at me via your quote or to the OP as additional information. If it was me thanks but I am aware and as I as I said I don't book via any search sites nor do I use any links provided, I book directly.

It was directed at anyone who uses kayak to search but then doesn't use the link to the service provider's website. That's the same as having a Travel Agent do all the research for you but then booking on your own.

It was directed at anyone who uses kayak to search but then doesn't use the link to the service provider's website. That's the same as having a Travel Agent do all the research for you but then booking on your own.
Not all consumers would agree, that's OK. There is room for lots of opinions. :)

Booking directly through the airline website is the best way to go, we live in an electronic world now so it is alot easier and efficient to just book things directly with the provider via an online website then looking for a travel agent, IMHO I have always found the concept of travel agents to be silly (no offense to Dreams Unlimited Travel which I think is a great company), but why on earth would you PAY someone to research and book stuff for you when you can do it on your own, there is an abundance of information available on the internet..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter