Help...Have a question about getting photo mats signed.

Mastiff

Mouseketeer
Would love to get these signed on our up coming cruise but just had a couple of questions.

Do you just pack the photo mat? If so, how do you pack it so it doesn't get all bent up?

I bought different color Sharpies for the signatures. Are those good to use?

Thanks for your help.

I haven't done this yet either, but I"ve been reading about this on another thread. The colored sharpies are perfect. I'd take just the photo mat, not the frame but put it between two thick cardboard sheets or file holder to keep it flat. I've heard it's also very worthwhile to put in a package of candy for the CM's to share (they LOVE those Treats!!):thumbsup2

DH and I were just talking about this tonight since we're packing.

Hubby thinks we should just carry it on and go to Guest Services as soon as we board. Good idea? Bad idea?:confused3

We went over to Walmart near the port and bought 2 11x14 photomats. These were specifacly for getting signed, the photo opening was for a 5x7. We bought a large bubble wrap envelope and stuck the 2 photomats, a pack of multicolored sharpies, and some various 10pk snack size candies in the envelope and handed to guest services with our cabin # and name on it. It worked out well.

I had my 11x14 photo matte custom cut for 6x8, since that's what the Shutter's photos come in. 8x10 didn't leave a lot of room for autographs. I put about 1/4" inch of artists tape around the edges so the autographs wouldn't get hidden by the frame. Anyway, I purchased a large zip lock bag and put the mat between 2 pieces of cardboard in it. It stayed pretty flat during the flight. When we got on board, I took the cardboard out and put the sharpies, marked with our stateroom number and gave it to guest services. The tricky part was guessing if we wanted the landscape or portrait direction. Most of the 6x8 Shutter's photos are portrait. Make sure you mark which way you want them to sign the matte.

sorry about not having an answer for the photo matte, however I just got back from my Western cruise where I gave two pillow cases. I included a black and a red sharpie... I was a little disappointed because there were only 11 signatures (seems like a fair amount, but when you see how many characters there really are, it just seemed a bit lacking considering they had almost a whole week to have "characters" sign it). Anyway... the other thing I noticed -- it didn't look like they used my sharpies... there weren't many red or black... but there was blue, orange, etc.

I'd still pack the sharpies, just in case... but just don't be surprised if you see multiple colors.

I just put mine in one of those extra large zip top bags, along with some scrapbooking markers and a seperate, smaller zip top bag of candy and then I put it on the top of my suitcase so I could find it. I think I kept it with my carry on and brought it straight to guest services when I boarded, but I can't remember exactly. I know that I was initially a little disappointed also, I got only about 8 signatures- but now that the picture is in, I like it because it looks less busy.

A good way to give the mat to guest services is in a large Ziploc bag with the sharpies (we put our sharpies in a smaller Ziploc) and treats if you choose to include them. If you are unsure of what orientation you want and want to wait for a few pictures to be taken, you can give it to them midweek on a 7 night and they will still get it back to you on Friday. We drive, so I hand carry mine, but for flying (if you don't want to hand carry it) I would definitely pack it between some sturdy cardboard. That luggage gets tossed around! Also a thicker mat would help as well. We got very thick precut ones at Michael's. A 5x7 precut will still work fine for the 6x8 pics, although you will lose some off the edges, but you will want to get them without the preprinted digital frames they often add, or you might have funny little pieces that make no sense sticking in from the sides of your photo from behind the mat. They make such a great souvenir!

sorry about not having an answer for the photo matte, however I just got back from my Western cruise where I gave two pillow cases. I included a black and a red sharpie... I was a little disappointed because there were only 11 signatures (seems like a fair amount, but when you see how many characters there really are, it just seemed a bit lacking considering they had almost a whole week to have "characters" sign it). Anyway... the other thing I noticed -- it didn't look like they used my sharpies... there weren't many red or black... but there was blue, orange, etc.

I'd still pack the sharpies, just in case... but just don't be surprised if you see multiple colors.

They may have a "whole week" to sign it, but just think of how many people do this. If only 5% of people cruising do this (and it's probably more due to how popular it's become because of sites like this), that's 120 items. Now multiply that by how many each person drops off... most people say they drop off at least two items... that's already 240 items. And that's just if only 5% of people drop them off. Eleven signatures on 240 items.. you're talking about a good chunk of time. All of this, free of charge. I'm really, really surprised Disney hasn't started charging for this and I hope they never do.

I'm pretty sure DCL hasn't hired someone who's only job is to sign these items, so these are CMs that are doing this in their "spare" time.

It's just part of Disney :wizard:

As for the OP's question - I used a padded laptop sleeve that came with an attache case I had. It also zipped closed. At the end of the cruise, I put the photo mats along with everything else I'd collected as keepsakes (Navigator's, etc) in it and placed it in my carryon bag. Everything made it home safe and unbent. :)

Thanks for the great suggestions! I think I will go with the cardboard idea and pack it in the suitcase. I am a disaster on the plane. I am constantly in and out of my carry on bag. Helping the kids, shoving the bag under the seat, etc. So this would not work for me!

Okay, as far as the candy. I was planning on giving candy too but do you put typically give a big bag of say little Hersheys or what ever? That's kind of what I was planning.

Thanks again to everyone!

We juts got back from the 4/19 Wonder....we had two pillow cases & 3 5X7 Photo Mats in a large Ziplock (gallon size) bag & a smaller ziplock with 4 colored sharpies. I dropped it off at Guest Servers after dinner the 1st night, bascially because when we boarded (around noon) the line was too long...yet no one was waiting at 9 PM!
We got the bag back (with sharpies) on the last night & all were signed & back in the orginal bag. One of the mats were damaged...but all the other items were okay~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter