• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help from bakers please!

Or you could go really big with something like this:

60-quart-hobart-mixer.gif

Have fun getting it on the counter.

I have the one you pictured , had for a long time. Love it when making my Christmas cookies. Can't believe I used to mix the dough by hand before. They have come down quite a bit since I got mine.

Just wanted to add that if you think she (you) will be making other things rather than baking, I'd advise going with higher wattage - in the 500 range. We actually originally bought ours with the meat grinder to grind chicken to mix with other ingredients for our homemade cat food, LOL, so went with the Pro 600. Also mixes up my DH's famous meatloaf beautifully. He was watching QVC's special value today (the 325 watt) and mentioned that it didn't look like it would handle heavy mixtures as well.

Also good for whipping mashed potatoes and all sorts of things. We've worked ours pretty regularly and it's still going strong.

I have the one you pictured , had for a long time. Love it when making my Christmas cookies. Can't believe I used to mix the dough by hand before. They have come down quite a bit since I got mine.

You have a 60 quart commercial floor mixer? Or are you referring to the original poster?

I have had my kitchen aid mixer for years and love it. I disagree with other posters they are not that heavy and I store mine and take it out when I need it . One caveat I will add, my cousin hated hers and I couldn't figure out why and she told me it was because it was the PRO model and she couldn't lift the front part up to remove the bowl. They last forever and if it doesn't come with it get a second bowl for it, this comes in very handy at holidays when you are making mashed potato, turnips, gravy, ect. I use mine for baking, mashing stuff, mixing things, I use it to mix the ingredients for meatballs or meatloaf. I use mine a couple times a week and feel I more than got my money's worth

No need for a Kitchen Aid. I have my mother's 40+ year old Sunbeam Mixmaster. They were made of metal back then, not the cheap plastic like now. It's only used 3 or 4 times a year, so quite sufficient for our needs.

Check the deal for today only at qvc. It's a great kitchen aid for a great price. Ends at midnight today.

I have had my kitchen aid mixer for years and love it. I disagree with other posters they are not that heavy and I store mine and take it out when I need it . One caveat I will add, my cousin hated hers and I couldn't figure out why and she told me it was because it was the PRO model and she couldn't lift the front part up to remove the bowl. They last forever and if it doesn't come with it get a second bowl for it, this comes in very handy at holidays when you are making mashed potato, turnips, gravy, ect. I use mine for baking, mashing stuff, mixing things, I use it to mix the ingredients for meatballs or meatloaf. I use mine a couple times a week and feel I more than got my money's worth
Did your cousin know it goes up and down instead of tilts? or did she just try to pull the bowl out?

When I got my DD the Pro mixer, I ordered an extra bowl. I figured out, like you did, that more than one bowl would be handy when doing batches of cookies or veg for a dinner preparation.

I saw a news blurb that Best Buy is having "Cyber Week" and will have 50% off select Kitchen Aid mixers. That is all I know, so you'd have to go try to find out which ones and when.

Did your cousin know it goes up and down instead of tilts? or did she just try to pull the bowl out?

When I got my DD the Pro mixer, I ordered an extra bowl. I figured out, like you did, that more than one bowl would be handy when doing batches of cookies or veg for a dinner preparation.
I don't know, I didn't know that and sadly she passed 2 years ago. I was fortunate that mine came with 2 bowls.

We don't keep our Kitchen Aid on the counter, we store it and bring it out as needed. It's heavy, but not so much that it can't be carried. We mainly use it for baking. I wish we had more counter space, but we don't, and I don't want the counters crowded. I am toying with the idea, though, of getting rid of our coffeemaker, and putting the Keurig in its place, then putting the Kitchen Aid where the Keurig was, in the corner. I might try it tomorrow. DD likes to use the mixer and has already said when she has her own place, hers is staying on the counter, lol. (I know what we'll be getting her for a housewarming gift!)

Julie's Haircut, my mother has an old mixer like that. Can't remember if it's Sunbeam or Hamilton Beach, but it's the one I grew up with. Everything made with it had a distinctive flavor, not sure what that was from - blades and bowls were stainless. I think it's still down our cellar somewhere. I guarantee if we find it, it'll still work. Definitely a workhorse, too.

ETA I guess it was Hamilton Beach. Ours was just like this. (I should really try to pull it out for chuckles!)

image.jpeg

Last edited:
My mom had a Kenwood mixer. It was definitely used a lot and still worked 40+ years later.

I have the Kitchen Aid Pro and love it. We use it a lot.

Speaking of old mixers. This was my grandmother's actual "mixer". We inherited it a few years ago after my aunt passed away. I made the mistake of putting it in the dishwasher, and the paint peeled off. But believe it or not, we use it a lot! :goodvibes

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Kenmore Elite which has a 400 Watt Motor. It will hook up all of the KitchenAid attachments. I think it is on Sale for $179.00 Works great

Also op, as you can see kitchen aides last forever. I love mine. Lol, I joke that if my house is on fire the one thing I'm saving is my kitchen aide.
I keep mine on the counter. I brought it in a funky bright red color because I knew it would stay out.

I would go with the fixed head model....the bowl moves up and down to meet the blades, not the other way around. This is a MUCH sturdier configuration, and is what you want if you are ever going to use it for heavy doughs (bread, pasta and some cookie doughs). I've had mine since Christmas 1990 (egads, 25 years!), and it runs and works and looks like brand new. Never had a moment of problem with it in that long of a time.

ETA: It is heavy, of course, but I store mine in my baking center cabinet, and have no problems moving it back and forth. It isn't THAT heavy. I'm not a particularly strong person, and I have no issues at all. When I get weaker (if I do), I'll just make my husband move it. LOL

Speaking of old mixers. This was my grandmother's actual "mixer". We inherited it a few years ago after my aunt passed away. I made the mistake of putting it in the dishwasher, and the paint peeled off. But believe it or not, we use it a lot! :goodvibes

View attachment 137921

I think that most would call that an egg beater, since it would really be tough to use it for anything more than that. The handle might break off if attempting to use it for bread dough.

I think that most would call that an egg beater, since it would really be tough to use it for anything more than that. The handle might break off if attempting to use it for bread dough.
Maybe so. We use it to mix a lot of things, though.

My grandmother, my mother, and I, all use(d) a fork to beat eggs. ;)

No need for a Kitchen Aid. I have my mother's 40+ year old Sunbeam Mixmaster. They were made of metal back then, not the cheap plastic like now. It's only used 3 or 4 times a year, so quite sufficient for our needs.

Lol. This is me! Well, I don't have my Mom's, as she was still using it, but one day I was at a garage sale and someone was selling their old one because they had finally gotten a Kitchen Aid (the lady was in her 60s). So the Sunbeam was $5, and does everything I need it to.

I would like a Kitchen Aid too, but in this house I don't have the counter space and so my appliances are kept in the basement, and I don't want to be lugging it up and down the stairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter