Help! First Time planning trip for Large Family

melon1997

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
Hope this is posting in the right place.
So the extended family would like to go to Disney with my family. That would make for 7 adults and 3 kids ages 5, 3 and year and half old. (at the time of travel). We are looking at May 2015 for the trip.

I have never planned a trip for this many people. I know that we will most likely need to have three rooms and are looking the value resorts. We will also be flying as it is to far to drive. looking at a 9 day 8 night stay.

So what are things that I need to be aware of when planning for such a large group? Would really appreciate any help/advice I can get. :confused3

The family thinks I'm a Disney guru and I want to make sure their first time to Disney is full of magic and pixie dust.
If there is any other info I need to provide let me know. TIA

Consider what everyone wants to do, have everyone pick a few must dos! Consider alone time for each family or couples, take turns watching the kids at the pool while the other adults do something special. Adrs and fpp can be a pain with large groups so learn the tricks for those, like breaking up group. Baby swap and take advantage of having little ones and split up costs for things like memory maker!

plan to spend some time split into small groups meeting for meals or special things. of course so of the time the whole group will want to be together but other times not.

I am planning for 14 in Sept. from 19-27.There will be 5 rooms, CBR preferred, 3 never been there people, kids, 10,8,8, all boys and one little 6 year old girl. We are all going to MK together and most going to a waterpark. Other than that everyone will be doing there own thing. We have one all together meal at Ohanna's, and will meet for lunch in MK. We are talking age range for the adults to be 62-25. I have made a sheet with all dinning reservations, and who they belong to. Everyone's e-mail, cell phone numbers, and resort reservation numbers. I have given everyone a sheet with the hours for the days we are there. Each family has a sheet listing what is going on each day. That way they can look and see who is going where. We are one set of grandparents, so we will be watching kids one evening, so the adults can go to Food and Wine. So my suggestion is, pick a resort, book your rooms, or packages. We are military, so 3 of the rooms are room only ressies. Two are coming from another state, and have packages. You will need strollers for all the kids. We rented from Kingdom strollers. When they get tired, they can crash in the stroller. Maybe get one double and one single. Bring lots of snaks and water into the park, and save a ton of money. Order groceries from Garden Grocers for breakfast foods, and eat in the room before you head out. All this said, it was not easy. I spent 3 hours on the phone getting everyone connected to MDX. We will also have one scooter and one stroller/WC for our grandson who is Autistic. He will use DAS. Now as far as FP+ goes, this will be a nightmare. Only 6 of us have tickets to link before we get there. One of the main goals is to see Anna and Elsa. Someone with a ticket is going to have to make that fastpass at 60 days out, and my granddaughter and her mom will have to switch MB's with the person that could make FP+ at 60 days out to enter. Other than that, we are not really looking to book any major rides. It take a lot of work now. It use to be fun, but with all the changes, it is more difficult. I just did a little bit at a time. Just make sure you have things together for ADR's at 180 days out, and FP's at 60 days out. Good Luck. If you have any other questions let me know and I will try to answer them.:wave2:

Go with the attitude also that it will be much more work, probably on your part, to plan this trip.

I've done one large family trip, and my folks have come over for a day (they're in Naples) a couple of times during our trips. It really sucked a lot of our plans out the window (not be be a downer, but it was what it was). I wouldn't ever invite extended family again! It's just too much for those who are unfamiliar with a Disney vacation to me.

Hi all,
Hope this is posting in the right place.
So the extended family would like to go to Disney with my family. That would make for 7 adults and 3 kids ages 5, 3 and year and half old. (at the time of travel). We are looking at May 2015 for the trip.

I have never planned a trip for this many people. I know that we will most likely need to have three rooms and are looking the value resorts. We will also be flying as it is to far to drive. looking at a 9 day 8 night stay.

So what are things that I need to be aware of when planning for such a large group? Would really appreciate any help/advice I can get. :confused3

The family thinks I'm a Disney guru and I want to make sure their first time to Disney is full of magic and pixie dust.
If there is any other info I need to provide let me know. TIA

We are in the process of planning a large family trip and I'm going insist on the Dining plan. I think it will keep things simple for my family. How will you be doing the dining portion of your trip? I am also going to plan 1 meal a day with the large family and the other meals will be for them to plan.

I would price out a villa (you would need a 3 bedroom grand villa), taking into consideration it sounds like you would be splitting the cost between several 'families' this might be cheaper than 3 value rooms. Worth looking into because even if it is only slightly more you get more amenities because they are all at deluxe resorts plus you will have a kitchen.
http://www.dvcrequest.com/cost-calculator.asp

With the kitchen you could save on meals, eating breakfast in your room. Maybe even lunch since with kids those ages (mainly the 3 year old and 1.5 year old) you'll probably want to go back to the room for a mid-day break. We had the dining plan and for us it was nice. I don't think we saved any money but it was nice to have meals 'pre-paid' and not think about what we were ordering when we were there. However, we were in a room without a kitchen. If we had been able to eat breakfast and/or lunch in the room each morning the basic dining plan would have been overkill but the quick service plan doesn't have any sit down meals. So it is worth considering if you don't mind no sit-down meals or having prepaid meals is important for you.

We have been traveling with a large group for quite some time now. Our family is 6 and since we go so often - family and friends that haven't been in a while or have never been want to come with us since they feel we know how to navigate the trip. We love going with family and friends. We usually range from a party of 8 to a party of 16. We do make reservations for one TS meal a day and plan all fast passes together. We do separate at times of the day but we are always in the same park.

For TS meals - each day we switch off who pays for it - since we always charge it to the room - once we get the hotel bill we see if we are close. We do not do the dining plan since we save money not getting it - but it always works out.

Enjoy the time with family!

I'm planning my first large family trip too.
Self, celebrating 60th birthday, DB and his DW and their DD's family with 5 year old and 1 1/2 year old. They will be depending on me to make plans especially ADRs. I too must uphold family reputation as Disney guru.
The age and energy level range is so big that it is daunting. My thought is major meals and selected experiences together but be flexible about splitting up part if the time.
The concept of being there for RD would not go over with either couple;) I, on the other hand, actually enjoy it.

I have never used DDP but will consider it.

melon1997: We have some similarities in the complexity of our planning. I din't know until yesterday how much family to expect and have had a few ideas develop overnight.

I am dividing group (for planning puposes) into
1. self, turning 60, ECV user, much solo Disney experience, will be at parks at RD daily
2. DB and his DW who has extensive a spine and joint problems and is not early riser. This will be DB's first time.
3. Dniece and young family - wil be their first visit with 2 children

I live in separate state and will let rest of family plan their own travel. It is a full day drive for them -young couple has done before with 1 child. Might be too long for DSIL's arthritis.

I am making list of likes, dislikes, and must dos for each group. I plan to sort these and expect there will be times when group splits up. I am going to develop a list of questions and email to family to be sure I know what is important to them. I have never traveled with children and want to make sure young family is comfy.

We will be staying at CL and will have breakfast in CL lounge. One TS meal per day together seems about right. Will propose list to the family and mutually decide. I am thinking the Garden Grill for EPCOT, 50s Prime Time Cafe for DHS, and CRT (if I can get it)or Crystal Palace for MK. If we do more than 1 day at MK, would like LTT lunch. Older child is big eater.
They will probably want me to make the ADRs.

I will probably do the FP+ for group as I have done this before - certainly for the activities we will do together.

We will each have separate sleeping space due to light sleeping adults and likelihood of different bedtimes and morning routines.

Not fully certain about dividing expense. I am the piggybank for everyone's lodging (it's my birthday celebration)and will give them choice as to whether they want me to cover park tickets vs meals as well. DB will pick up the other and likely travel costs for himself, DW, and the young family who have limited finances.

The children will be 5 and 1 1/2 at the time of travel. Would like recommendations about strollers. Double vs 2 singles? Bring own or rent from outside vendor. No shortage of stroller pushers in group and the doubles look so awkward. Older child is tall for age but won't be over the weight limit.

Any suggestions for aspects that I should be considering but haven't would be appreciated.

Can anybody tell that I am a hyper planner?:wizard:

We have had large family trips in the past. We made dinner reservations together each putting in input of what they liked and coming to a mutual conclusion. Some meals amazing some not so much but since we all had input it did not fall on any one to take credit or blame. We shared our plans for the day and gave each one resources to choose their own experience or hang with us. Some times we ended up together and some times apart gave us lots to talk about at dinner. As the Grandparents, We also offered one night each babysitting to those with children. In all it turned out very well. Hope your disney vacations turn out well.

Go with the attitude also that it will be much more work, probably on your part, to plan this trip.

I've done one large family trip, and my folks have come over for a day (they're in Naples) a couple of times during our trips. It really sucked a lot of our plans out the window (not be be a downer, but it was what it was). I wouldn't ever invite extended family again! It's just too much for those who are unfamiliar with a Disney vacation to me.

We have done big groups a couple times and it can be very, very hard. As the gurus in our family we find we have to give up or give in a lot as we want to make everyone else "love" it as much as we do.

Also different budgets are very tricky. We have no problem going it alone if there is something we want to do and others don't (like MNSSHP). Also dining in a big group sounds fun in theory but remember it takes a lot longer and you may have to wait longer for an ADR for a bigger group than a 3 or 4.

Factor on a lot of waiting time, (bathroom breaks etc). And it's frustrating if you are ready to go and not everyone is ready.

Not to sound like a complete Debbie Downer but with a few notable exceptions we prefer to be on our own, although it can be fun it can be very draining.

As PP's have already said, I would highly recommend renting points(IMO)! We are a family of 7 and rent points, best way to save money on a resort when you are a large family. We love AKV, has an AMAZING pool and splash area for kids. My kids love waking up to the animals:)...With a group as large as yours you would need a 3 bedroom. We also save money by not using the DDP, I know that's not the situation for everyone but that's what works for us. We order groceries from Garden Grocer(they'll deliver to your resort), we pack a lunch each day for the parks and we'll buy QS meal for dinner. We pay out of pocket for a about three character meals. We use our Disney Visa which gives us a discount on our meals(I think you have to spend $50 or more). My kids are so picky so the DDP doesn't really make sense for us, they'll order the chicken and fries whether we are at a TS restaurant or QS:( Have a great trip! May is a wonderful time to go:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter