Help finding camera shop in WDW area...

Phil'sFrontier

DIS Veteran
I am having a hard time finding a camera store down here that carries quality tripods.
I am looking for something portable. I am actually interested in the GorrilaPod but I am a little unsure about that type of tripod being able to hold up my D7000&18-200vr.
Any advise you guys have will be really appreciated.
I am staying at WorldQuest if that helps at all btw.
Totally off topic, in the MK last night and the cheerleaders were EVERYWHERE lol. Running around, singing, dancing...it was quite a sight to see.

I am actually interested in the GorrilaPod but I am a little unsure about that type of tripod being able to hold up my D7000&18-200vr

I wouldn't begin to know about camera stores in Orlando but I've not had much success with my GorillaPod SLR on my D200. Now your D7000 is 140 grams lighter than a D200 but I suspect your lens will more than make up the difference in weight. For me, it isn't the vibration so much as the legs not being able to support the camera weight.

Perhaps the more advanced photographers have had success that I haven't with the GorillaPod SLR. I've found a walking stick with a tripod bolt (which I use as a monopole) works better for me.

There is one on 192 in Kissimmee. (At least there was a couple of years ago when I had to go there.) Sorry, I can't remember more details than that.

If worse comes to worse, you can pick up a cheap tripod at WalMart for $30. (I've had to do that too!) Go to the WM closest to Downtown Disney.

If you can't find anything closer there are two Ritz Camera stores in Orlando.

Ritz Camera
The Florida Mall
8001 South Orange Blossom Trail
Orlando, FL 32809
Phone: 407-855-4897
Approximate Distance: 24.36 miles
Directions M-F: 10:00am-9:00pm
Sat: 10:00am-9:00pm
Sun: 12:00pm-6:00pm

Ritz Camera
Special Tee Golf Plaza
1233 W. Sand Lake Road
Orlando, FL 32809
Phone: 407-240-6998
Approximate Distance: 24.69 miles
Directions M-F: 10:00am-8:00pm
Sat: 10:00am-7:00pm
Sun: 12:00pm-5:00pm

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend Ritz for any kind of quality photo accessory. Last time I looked at their tripod selection (back at Christmas) they had mostly cheap aluminum tripods, all Sunpak and Quantaray brands, with cheap pan & tilt heads (not what you want for photo generally). They DID have a cheap carbon fiber Sunpak, but the ball head on it is very, very low end. It would be ok for a point and shoot (maybe), but nothing more than that IMO. That same Sunpak also gets really poor reviews. Stay away from anything that has center supports (the fold down pieces that form a "Y" on the center column) or has a geared center column, you don't want them.

They DO carry some ok lower end Manfrotto stuff online, but I've never seen in in any of my 3 local Ritz stores. Not to mention, you will also be paying full retail + tax prices. You will very likely get a better deal at B&H or Adorama on a nicer piece of gear, even if you paid to have it over-nighted down there.

As for local stores, I can't help you out :(

While I agree with LordAthens, I don't normally recommend Ritz, but if my only choices are that or Walmart, I would try the camera store.

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend Ritz for any kind of quality photo accessory. Last time I looked at their tripod selection (back at Christmas) they had mostly cheap aluminum tripods, all Sunpak and Quantaray brands, with cheap pan & tilt heads (not what you want for photo generally). They DID have a cheap carbon fiber Sunpak, but the ball head on it is very, very low end. It would be ok for a point and shoot (maybe), but nothing more than that IMO. That same Sunpak also gets really poor reviews. Stay away from anything that has center supports (the fold down pieces that form a "Y" on the center column) or has a geared center column, you don't want them.

They DO carry some ok lower end Manfrotto stuff online, but I've never seen in in any of my 3 local Ritz stores. Not to mention, you will also be paying full retail + tax prices. You will very likely get a better deal at B&H or Adorama on a nicer piece of gear, even if you paid to have it over-nighted down there.

As for local stores, I can't help you out :(

I agree with you. They DID have a cheap carbon fiber Sunpak, but the ball head on it is very, very low end. It would be ok for a point and shoot (maybe), but nothing more than that IMO....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter