HELP!! DSIL wants to stay off site

We stayed at a timeshare with another family in 05...can you say "never again"! We did it on a whim when they invited us to go with them. Now don't get me wrong, we had a great time (and we've gone back with the other family since) but there were other forces out there wanting everything to go wrong! The other family happens to be good friends of ours, we always go camping together in the summertime so we figured spending a week in Florida would be fun. Everything changes once you become "roomies". Other peoples quirks and habits can get on your nerves in the 90 degree July heat let me tell you! (Thankfully we all look back on that week and laugh!) At the time the kids were younger too and we wanted to go take naps in the afternoon and go swimming...it was a lot harder to do staying off-site. We had rental cars but still, it took up a lot more of our time. We also did other things throughout Florida so it was a different trip than usual but if you are going to do a "Disney trip"...I wouldn't recommend staying off-site. That's just my opinion on the matter. We've been back and stayed on-site during a different time period and I would've much rather waited than making a hasty decision just for the sake of going.

We stayed off site all the times we went...until the last trip we took 3 years ago. It's a huge difference staying on site! Just list all the good points and hope she'll come around.

I think I have conviced DSIL to stay on site. The main problem is allowing a way for my brother to be able to get back to the room. He has chronic migraines and when they get bad he has to go back and lie down. That would not be possible if we drove down or relied on transportation from the condo. You never know when they will be there to take you back. Can't wait to go.

Hi this is my first time going to Disney but regardless I feel that this is about you and what you feel YOU would enjoy the most.
If they choose to stay off site thats ok, you can meet @ the parks when they get there. You can enjoy each others company and still have your personal space!:thumbsup2
Another option is rent a hotel room seperate from them as a pp said they did, off site. This way you can still save money but again you would have your own space. Renting a car would off set your savings a little but puts you in a better position to enjoy yourself and you can explore other areas as well.
I really feel that ultimately its your comfort you need to focus on because its your vacation and your hard earned money you will be spending. I'm all for togetherness and family moments but the neighbor issue is iffy, and you already sound stressed when this should be fun...you know what I mean...Do what you like and enjoy your trip.
Well thats my two cents! I'll get off my soap box now :rotfl:

We've stayed off-site and with family off-site on another trip and I did say, "never again". Everyone has their ideas and plans on what they want to do on vacation, I learned the best thing to do is plan for your family and then make plans to meet up with the relatives in a park or for a meal or even both. Nothing beats staying at a Disney resort, don't forget those magic hours they are so worth it :wizard: I'd suggest keeping your resort of choice reservations and making plans to meet at the parks or for meals and let your relative keep her plans for the condo. You'll all be better off. I remember feeling very upset on vacation about allowing myself to be convinced to stay off-site with family and it caused tension on vacation who wants that. It rained/poured one day while at the parks and we had to leave and deal with the crowds rushing out as well and the tram, parking lot, etc..... later the sun came out and we were to far out to rush back :mad:

I learned it's great to travel and meet up with family on vacation but, always plan your vacation according to your family needs and wants, after all it is your family vacation too.

Good luck!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter