Help..don't know whic ECV to rent

benhannah's mom

DVC Member/DIS Veteran
My son, 19, had compartment syndrome, 5 surgeries on his leg last month, and is now on the road to recovery. He is in a walking boot. Just yesterday, his physical therapist told him he didn't have to use his crutches. We are bringing them on the trip (we leave today) just in case. I am planning on renting a scooter from an off-site company. I am so confused by the company options and scooter types. I think I have narrowed it down to Apple or Walker. The rep at Walker emphasized how some scooters are not water proof and the GoGo Elite won't work as well when it rains. Anybody have experience with this? There standard scooter is 100.00 more and water resistant. Apple comes with insurance and Walker you can add it for 20.00 total. Which makes the cost the same. Is insurance needed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My son, 19, had compartment syndrome, 5 surgeries on his leg last month, and is now on the road to recovery. He is in a walking boot. Just yesterday, his physical therapist told him he didn't have to use his crutches. We are bringing them on the trip (we leave today) just in case. I am planning on renting a scooter from an off-site company. I am so confused by the company options and scooter types. I think I have narrowed it down to Apple or Walker. The rep at Walker emphasized how some scooters are not water proof and the GoGo Elite won't work as well when it rains. Anybody have experience with this? There standard scooter is 100.00 more and water resistant. Apple comes with insurance and Walker you can add it for 20.00 total. Which makes the cost the same. Is insurance needed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Walker was wonderful to deal with!! :thumbsup2 Had great service!! Insurance was even an option then so can't say anything about that... :confused3 I think it's probably not necessary but more of a personal security type thing. Would definitely use them again in the future if the need ever arose. Our experience was with a standard model and that is probably what we would go with again. Don't know if this helps you any... Best of Luck and hope you enjoy your vacation! :goodvibes

We got the standard scooter from Walker and were happy. We did get a defective battery (wouldn't hold a charge) but they replaced it quickly.

I just got back from WDW and I used my own brand new GO GO elite traveler plus HD. It rained plenty while we were there. I never had any problem with my scooter. The only thing I did was to cover it with plastic, such as a disposable raincoat, when I parked it. If it was raining, I used a disposable bath cap over the control area. These are the type of caps you get for free from some hotels. I keep them just for this use. You can use the scooter when the cap is on the tiller. The area that has a problem getting wet is the tiller so I don't believe that there would be a problem in the rain if the tiller was protected as I described.

I would not hesitate to use the ones from Apple. I have my own personal scooter just like the ones they rent. I have been in torrential rains with it many times with no problem. I just do the best I can to keep the tiller dry. A plastic bag or shower cap can take care of this easily. I personally save the money.

I've used Randy's many times and am overall satisfied. The prices are good, although the scooters are older models, so if you want pretty,they are not for you. The service is very good--delivered on time, etc. I had two problems last year. On my Sept trip there was a battery-shorting indicator light issue which was very nerve wracking as I never knew if the ECV was going to die. It finally did die and they had a replacement there within the hour, which was great. On my Dec trip the ECV threw a wheel on the up ramp to the monorail at the TTC. Wow. We managed to get it down the ramp and out of the way. Again, they had a new ECV to us within the hour and credited my bill for the day, which seemed reasonable to me. But, we missed EMH and an ADR. The folks are so nice to deal with, though, and keep track of what ECV I like, so I am going with them again this year.

As to type, I like a 3-wheeled model as they are more maneuverable.

Just keep in mind that Randy's will make you be there for delivery. If you are familiar with ECV's and don't need lessons in use, this can be an inconvenience and a waste of time IMO. Walker will have the unit at your resort prior to your arrival so that it is ready to go when you get there. You're not sitting around waiting for delivery. You can head off to the park or proceed with your day's plans doing whatever, DTD, dinner ressies, etc....
Just trying to give you some food for thought. :goodvibes

FYI-In all my trips I've never had to wait for Randys. I call them when i'm on ME and they're at the hotel when i arrive. Usually he has to wait for me to finish checking in!

FYI-In all my trips I've never had to wait for Randys. I call them when i'm on ME and they're at the hotel when i arrive. Usually he has to wait for me to finish checking in!

That is Excellent that they were there waiting for you!! :thumbsup2 But I would imagine that that isn't always that way it happens when they possibly have multiple deliveries scheduled for the same afternoon. It is Awesome that you are so pleased with them. However, I must say, I'm a little leary about the age/maitenance of their units when you state yourself that you had TWO problems with your rentals. I could understand having one problem....but two.... it makes me wonder how well they are maitenanced...

I couldn't deal with two issues...

I've used Randy's many times and am overall satisfied. The prices are good, although the scooters are older models, so if you want pretty,they are not for you. The service is very good--delivered on time, etc. I had two problems last year. On my Sept trip there was a battery-shorting indicator light issue which was very nerve wracking as I never knew if the ECV was going to die. It finally did die and they had a replacement there within the hour, which was great.
That would have grated on my nerves just waiting for it to die. I would have wanted a replacement immediately rather than waiting for it to die...

On my Dec trip the ECV threw a wheel on the up ramp to the monorail at the TTC. Wow. We managed to get it down the ramp and out of the way. Again, they had a new ECV to us within the hour and credited my bill for the day, which seemed reasonable to me. But, we missed EMH and an ADR. The folks are so nice to deal with, though, and keep track of what ECV I like, so I am going with them again this year.

As to type, I like a 3-wheeled model as they are more maneuverable.
And I would haven't have been happy about missing EMH due to a broken down ECV, but would have been MAJORLY ticked at missing an ADR. :headache:
I think crediting you the day is the least they could do IMHO.

Again to each his/her own, but I think this shows a pattern of a lack of good quality maitenance In MY opinion. They may be very nice to deal with, but who wants to be spending valuable park time waiting for a replacement scooter? I don't.... I guess to each his/her own.

OP, good luck with your decision on your rental... :goodvibes

This is a personal decision, and I am just sharing my personal opinion ;)

I have used Walker 2x a year for past 4 years and they have been excellent. Alsways been waiting for me at the hotel when I arrive and dropped it at bell services the day we left.

One time I had a defunct battery on my scooter ( would not hold a charge) and while I was having lunch at the park they made sure that they got a scooter to the park for an exchange, no problem. The first time I was there, I didn't realize I needed a longer lasting scooter ( aka heavier duty) and when I called they delivered me the heavier duty model with no additional charge within the hour!

No scooter is waterproof (that I know of) just keep the ignition covered with the little shower cap thingy if you think it may rain, and you should be just fine. Worst case, if something does go wrong they have a scooter to you, but usually they just need to "dry out".:cloud9:

I also believe that Buena Vista Scooter is still located at the Boardwalk Hotel.

Good luck to your son, Happy Scootin'.

We were going to rent the go-go from Walker, but then decided to get the standard model due to all of the rain in Florida. I'm glad we switched. It rained heavily almost every day. After one hour-long torrential downpour, DH's scooter started right back up, but we saw a woman on a go-go who was stuck because her scooter would not start. An hour later we passed by the same spot where the scooter was parked and it was still sitting there. The standard scooters also have a longer battery life between charges where you could be left with a dead battery on the smaller scooter after 5 or 6 hours. If your DS is not a real heavy person, then the battery shouldn't be a problem. We didn't get the insurance. I don't think it's needed. The scooters are very durable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter