HELP DELUXE DP + Club / OR REG + Club?

chimo2u

DIS Veteran
Good Evening,

I am hoping some of you Disney Math whiz's can help me with my dilema :goodvibes

Currently my 14 yo son and I are booked Beach Club Club level with the Deluxe Dining Plan on the summer savings 40% off deal. Current price was $2,911.00 for August 21-26 with the above deal.

My conflict lies in the fact that Deluxe dining IS alot of food. I do love the idea of Deluxe dining for the freedom of choice it offers, but you can bet I WILL NOT be utilizing ALL those deserts at every meal, nor an appetizer at every meal. There will be times I want an appetizer, and to have freedom of choice, as I said, is nice. I am wondering if I am doing this the most cost-effective way, however....or if I am throwing a lot of money down the drain. Would it make sense for us to downgrade to the regular plan and pay out of pocket for some meals...or is the Deluxe plan the best way for us to go for this trip???
Below is my booked reservations as they stand. Some meals are 2 TS per person, which is why I am being thrown for a loop with the math!
Please help me:

Day 1 Arrive late (August 21 booked Rose and Crown for dinner in Epcot) leaving us 2 unused credits for the arrival day.

Day 2 AK day: Breakfast in Club lounge : Free
Booked Lunch at Tusker House (1 Credit each)
Booked Yachtmans for dinner (2 Credits each)

DAY 3: EPCOT DAY
Breakfast in Club lounge: Free
Lunch: Le Cellier (1 credit each)
Dinner: Teppan Edo (1 Credit each)

Day 4 DHS Day
Breakfast: Club lounge
Lunch: Sci Fi (1 credit each)
Dinner: Prime Time (1 credit each)

Day 5 Magic Kingdom Day
Breakfast: Kona Cafe (1 TS each)
Lunch: NO Plan
Dinner: 7:15 Hoop De Doo Revue (2 TS Each)

When I look at things this way, it seems to me that perhaps Deluxe is still best for us as we have quite a few 2 TS meals and lunches booked in the parks at sit down restaurants. Do you agree?? Any advice/tweaking suggestions would be welcomed :flower3: Thank you!

We will be at BC club level with you :goodvibes What are the times of your reservations? I would make sure they are really spaced out. Have you considered keeping the deluxe plan but changing to a non-club room? You could get a water view for less, I think. Based on the restaurants you have reserved, you should keep the deluxe. I am not sure you are going to get too much value out of staying club level with the deluxe plan though.

I'm in the same boat - too much dining plan + CL...however, I'm paying for the convenience and flexibility and we are also trying several signature restaurants. I figure that if I don't use every last benefit of the DxDP (apps and desserts) I'm simply diluting my potential savings but I still get what I want and have the freedom of choice.

I still figure that I will save about $300 using this plan (not including the snacks and mug) over other options for a 10 nite trip.

I'm interested to see others' opinions as well but for you, I think I would stick with the DxDP.

BTW: We'll be at the BCR during some of the same dates! :)

I think I agree with Mom2Elliot and I would keep the deluxe plan but maybe downgrade from Club Level to Water view and save the difference ($50 per day). The only benefit of club level that I see you getting is the breakfast selections. Your current dining plans uses 11 of your 15 credits. I would think you would have a better selection of food (vs club level bfast selections) if you grabbed a CS breakfast at your selected park of the day. You could even use snack credits for pastries, etc and I think you'd still be ahead with the Deluxe plan.

I did the BWI CL with dxdp this year and loved it :) BUT I did not look at the food and think I had to eat it all, in fact in a 7 night stay I only ordered 2 desserts - 1 was a cheese plate (my server didn't think I could have it on the dxdp but the 'system' let it through) and a creme brulee, and even then I only ate half. Also, I paced myself with my meals, i.e. I never ate everything that was on my plate.

I ate at signature restaurants most nights and 1 TS at lunch, I prefer to have a sit down lunch and would order salads mostly.

I still saved money, but as I said, I did not look at it as 'too much food' or having to eat everything on my plate to make it pay, I wanted to know that my food had been paid for up front. I used my snack credits mostly for water/sodas in the parks.

I can't say for the other CLs but the offerings at the Boarwalk have most definitely been scaled back in 'appealing' as an evening meal (although I have never done so), the plate sizes have also been scaled back to a very small saucer, and the description changed to 'wine and cheese selection'.

:goodvibes Thanks for the replies so far, as expected I think for us, the Deluxe plan is probably the best for our reservations I've booked.

Funnily enough, I originally WAS booked waterview, regular room....with the Deluxe plan. To upgrade to a club level room was only $169 for the whole 5 nights, and Teena (one of the BC CM's and a wealth of knowledge on the BC/YC FAQ thread) mentioned that for that little amount to upgrade, I would be smart to jump on it :) And, well, being the club-level lovin gal I am....I decided to jump and upgrade to CL. I figured that for the convenience of having cold cans of pop at my son's disposal for the room,snacks if we are hanging by the resort in the afternoon, the yummy and quick breakfasts, the turndown service at night, and the 'overall pampered feel' of the lounge/club experience....I couldn't go wrong for the small price difference! I also figure we'll be ahead in the AM with the quick and easy breakfast in the lounge. :)

I have planned most dinners fairly late (6:30/7:00 ish) and lunches fairly early (around 11:30)....if I need to, I don't mind eating a lighter soup/salad combo and forgoing some dessert/appetizer. I think there will really only be a couple places I really want an appy at....like Le Cellier (cheddar cheese soup)
I guess for us we'll stay with the Deluxe plan this time and not worry about squeezing every last cent out of the plan! In my situation I am paying more for flexibility and ease of choice rather than volume of food we eat!

It would be neat to say hello to some fellow Diser's when I am at the BC, so if you are staying during my time period...please feel free to say HI :flower3: to me if our paths cross! I will be by myself with my son Andrew. He's 14 and I am sure we'll be hanging by the pool more than one afternoon during our 5 days :)

Marie :goodvibes

Have a great trip - you sound so similar to myself, I stay CL for the very reasons you say. I also ate early lunches no later than 12, and dinner 6.30/7.00 (apart from 1 which I had at 5.30 pm) - this worked really well for me. I used to just have a muffin in the lounge and help myself to sodas/tea/coffee whenever I was back at the resort - the BWI had wonderful olives as part of the evening appetisers and I used to have a few of them too.

I met some great dis'ers during my stay, I hope you do too :goodvibes

We will be at BC club level with you :goodvibes What are the times of your reservations? I would make sure they are really spaced out. Have you considered keeping the deluxe plan but changing to a non-club room? You could get a water view for less, I think. Based on the restaurants you have reserved, you should keep the deluxe. I am not sure you are going to get too much value out of staying club level with the deluxe plan though.

Hi! :goodvibes Maybe we'll get a chance to say hello when we are there! I am at the BC August 21-26th, and am so excited to experience this new to us, beautiful resort! I made sure to make our reservations fairly spread apart.
I am looking forward to trying the signature places like Yacht Club/ and seeing Hoop de Doo for our first time! Our upgrade was very reasonable...only $169 difference for the entire stay. So, I think staying put will be worth it for us :goodvibes Have a lovely trip!

I think I agree with Mom2Elliot and I would keep the deluxe plan but maybe downgrade from Club Level to Water view and save the difference ($50 per day). The only benefit of club level that I see you getting is the breakfast selections. Your current dining plans uses 11 of your 15 credits. I would think you would have a better selection of food (vs club level bfast selections) if you grabbed a CS breakfast at your selected park of the day. You could even use snack credits for pastries, etc and I think you'd still be ahead with the Deluxe plan.

Hi Kate :goodvibes I wonder if the price to upgrade is cheaper due to my getting the summer 40% off deal??? As mentioned above, it only cost my an additional $169 for all my 5 days....much worth it to me! I love, love, love Club level on my 2 previous trips to AKL....just for the ease of breakfast and the cool pops to grab in passing through each day....it is worth it for us :goodvibes I am really looking forward to experiencing this new resort :goodvibes

Personally no matter what type of DDP it is I think purchasing it and staying Club Level is not the best idea, because in the end it's still a lot of food. Also some Club Level Cast Members have told me they don't think it's a good idea to combine staying Club Level with the DDP because of the food factor.

Have a great trip - you sound so similar to myself, I stay CL for the very reasons you say. I also ate early lunches no later than 12, and dinner 6.30/7.00 (apart from 1 which I had at 5.30 pm) - this worked really well for me. I used to just have a muffin in the lounge and help myself to sodas/tea/coffee whenever I was back at the resort - the BWI had wonderful olives as part of the evening appetisers and I used to have a few of them too.

I met some great dis'ers during my stay, I hope you do too :goodvibes

WOW! we do sound a lot alike, don't we??!! LOL...I am now reading your trip report and am very engrossed in it! :goodvibes You where brave to "brave" a solo trip! I am beginning to think that may be my future fate if I am to still have a connection with my beloved WDW in the future! My kids are growing up, my oldest son (18 in a month) and my hubby are "Disney'd out" . My son Andrew (14) who I am traveling with this August is my saving grace for this trip! At least I'll be sharing it with a loved one and won't be lonely :goodvibes
I will be suffering some major Disney withdrawal when I come home, I expect....there is no place quite like Disney.

I am also a nervous flier....your pictures of your air trip look amazing!! Those tickets must have cost a bundle!!!! My brother and his family is being posted (from Canada) to London, England at the embassy for 3-4 yrs. My husband is also British (born in Yorkshire, England) Askern, nr Doncaster. We will definitely be traveling to England in the next couple years to visit my brother and his family and explore my husbands ancestoral roots/relatives!

I am really enjoying reading your TR, it is neat to see someone who thinks much like I do! BTW....I also changed many, many times dining and resort reservations before settling and being happy with my current booking!!! LOL :eek: I went from CSR to AKL CL to BOARDWALK INN to AKL CL to Beach Club standard view, to BC waterview to BC GV CL.....I am FINALLY STAYING PUT, LOL.....yes....this time, NO MORE CHANGES! I am at peace with my resort, my dining plan and my trip is PAID IN FULL :banana: :cool1: as of Friday....what more could I ask for????!!!
I am happy :cloud9:
Marie :goodvibes

Have you sat down with sample menus are tried to figure out what these meals would cost you OOP vs. the DxDDP? Considering that you already know that you aren't going to want all 3 courses at every meal, and have Club Level for breakfasts & snacks...I'm thinking that you are going to save money by paying OOP for meals. Unless you want to book a package for convenience sake (which I can understand), you might be better off just using your KTTW card to charge meals back to your room.

Personally no matter what type of DDP it is I think purchasing it and staying Club Level is not the best idea, because in the end it's still a lot of food. Also some Club Level Cast Members have told me they don't think it's a good idea to combine staying Club Level with the DDP because of the food factor.

Howdy neighbour :) (fellow cdn disser).... Well, CRRF4 Life, I can definitely see your point, it is quite a lot of food....however, no matter what level I stay, I feel I still need to eat 3 meals a day whether I am at Disney or not. :)

I like a light breakfast of oatmeal/fruit and CL breakfasts are perfect for the way we eat breakfast!

However, I don't feel the other club offerings would suffice as lunch and dinner/ and I couldn't see being able to make a meal of them (I suppose this would vary with the resort/level of offerings in the lounge)....BUT from what I've experienced at AKL CL.... the offerings of some kettle chips/gummy bears in the early afternoon, and the small appetizers (which are often very unique [AKL's apps come from Boma/Jiko]....and not something everyone would necessarily like, let alone want to make a meal of (ie lamb pastries/pouffe souflee's).... So, in the end, I still need a dining plan of some sort.

With that said....staying AKL CL my previous 2 trips with the REGULAR dining plan was wonderful and would be perfect, however I want to try some 2 TS meals and a dinner show, so the QS credits are a bit of a waste for me.
I agree, the Deluxe plan will most likely be overkill for us, but I am looking at it from the standpoint of optimizing the flexibility it offers RATHER than having to wring every last ounce of what food is offered to feel I have realized the value.

I know I will not want an appetizer every meal/and I will probably only order dessert once after dinner. But with the signature meals/dinner show we want to see, I think the deluxe plan is the one I need....and I have planned in a manner that will offer us the most flexibility along with trying some unique and new dining experiences.
One thing is for sure, we definitely won't have to worry about food on this trip :rotfl:

With that all said, I think for us, and how we want to experience our meals this was the best way to go. :goodvibes

LOL Marie, glad to hear I'm not the only tweaker :rotfl:

Glad you're enjoying the report, I'm having a nightmare with both Dis speeds and photobucket at the moment so am a little slower than I'd like to be in getting it posted.

I love just outside London (15-20 minutes by train) and often visit so when you're over here let me know :goodvibes

As mentioned above, it only cost my an additional $169 for all my 5 days....much worth it to me! I love, love, love Club level on my 2 previous trips to AKL....just for the ease of breakfast and the cool pops to grab in passing through each day....it is worth it for us

Wow! For $169 I'd upgrade too! :goodvibes Enjoy!

We just got back from our first CL experience at the YC.

We checked in on Sunday night, and did not really check out the club lounge til the next day

That was out last dinner out! We had breakfast in the lounge/room each morning. Had a TS lunch out moist days and then some appys in the lounge for 'dinner'

We ended up not doing dinners out, just was not hungry. My DH usually eats a large midday meal at home while i like 3 meals a day

But the TS lunches were enough that with the lounge appys enough for hte day. Had some yummy things too! bacon wrapped scallops, duck quesadillas, lobster salad, wild rice, cheese and crackers, chicken skewers, crab rangoon, pot stickers, spring rolls....

We are now hooked for life! :banana:

Personally, I would cancel all dining plans, and just pay out of pocket for what you want and keep the CL room.

OP, you currently do not have all 15 credits used or planned. :scared1: Not to mention the snacks and the mugs. DOn't need the mugs, have free beverages right there

And the additional snacks, well i really liked my afternoon swedish fish fix (MAJOR withdrawal when I got home)

meal plan is what, about $140 for the 2 of per day. That can pay a lot of meals OOP (After 2 days of DXDP last year we both were so glad that is all we had DVC 2 nights at AKV w/ DxDP was enough, just can't eat that much every day!)

Whatever you decide, you are staying in a GORGEOUS resort in the best area. Make sure you make time for the pool!!

We just got back from our first CL experience at the YC.

We checked in on Sunday night, and did not really check out the club lounge til the next day

That was out last dinner out! We had breakfast in the lounge/room each morning. Had a TS lunch out moist days and then some appys in the lounge for 'dinner'

We ended up not doing dinners out, just was not hungry. My DH usually eats a large midday meal at home while i like 3 meals a day

But the TS lunches were enough that with the lounge appys enough for hte day. Had some yummy things too! bacon wrapped scallops, duck quesadillas, lobster salad, wild rice, cheese and crackers, chicken skewers, crab rangoon, pot stickers, spring rolls....

We are now hooked for life! :banana:

Personally, I would cancel all dining plans, and just pay out of pocket for what you want and keep the CL room.

OP, you currently do not have all 15 credits used or planned. :scared1: Not to mention the snacks and the mugs. DOn't need the mugs, have free beverages right there

And the additional snacks, well i really liked my afternoon swedish fish fix (MAJOR withdrawal when I got home)

meal plan is what, about $140 for the 2 of per day. That can pay a lot of meals OOP (After 2 days of DXDP last year we both were so glad that is all we had DVC 2 nights at AKV w/ DxDP was enough, just can't eat that much every day!)

Whatever you decide, you are staying in a GORGEOUS resort in the best area. Make sure you make time for the pool!!

Thanks so much for your reply.....That's what I am second-guessing myself about. Will $140.00/ day cover us for anything we may want to eat?? I have paid my package in full as of Friday, and if I do cancel the dining, I wonder if they will hold the extra money in a credit for us??

Right now, I am wondering will 140.00 cover our expenses and give us the freedom to enjoy what we want without the worry. That is my biggest concern with paying for the dining plan. I love the idea of everything being covered. I guess I should just take what I have tentatively booked and see if I would come out ahead paying oop. Can I get a TIW card or do I need to be a Florida Resident??
Hmmmmmmmmm, back to the drawing board. oh, and I may be penalized to cancel the dining plan off my package as I would be "downgrading???"
:confused:

Well, that was interesting..... I tried to price out meals using menus from
All Ears, just picking what I thought we might eat here and there. Well, yes....the first arrival day was very cheap (only $60.00 at Rose and Crown) but then when I began pricing out the TS lunches and the signature dinners....well....Yachtman's night ALONE was $75 each for what we'd order (a ceasar salad appetizer, a steak meal and a vegetable side with dessert)....for that one meal, the dining plan more than paid for itself. Yes, I may be able to save a hundred or so dollars if I paid out of pocket, but the ease of having everything all paid for and not worrying about what we order....it makes the dining plan worth it for me!

As it stands right now, we have 11 of our 15 ts credits used....perhaps the last day we'll order room service for breakfast and use up the last 4 credits :) That would be a nice end to a lovely 5 days at Disney :lovestruc

Well, that was interesting..... I tried to price out meals using menus from
All Ears, just picking what I thought we might eat here and there. Well, yes....the first arrival day was very cheap (only $60.00 at Rose and Crown) but then when I began pricing out the TS lunches and the signature dinners....well....Yachtman's night ALONE was $75 each for what we'd order (a ceasar salad appetizer, a steak meal and a vegetable side with dessert)....for that one meal, the dining plan more than paid for itself. Yes, I may be able to save a hundred or so dollars if I paid out of pocket, but the ease of having everything all paid for and not worrying about what we order....it makes the dining plan worth it for me!

As it stands right now, we have 11 of our 15 ts credits used....perhaps the last day we'll order room service for breakfast and use up the last 4 credits :) That would be a nice end to a lovely 5 days at Disney :lovestruc
So true, and what kind of vacation is that, stressing - when in the end you're going to break even or better yourself? The last thing I want to do is sit at the dinner table with a calculator. Particularly if I think I'm going to end up close to where I would be. (or if I had a teenage son in tow, and risk telling him he couldn't eat something on the menu that he could have otherwise).

We to are staying YC/CL, with DxDDP, and several people keep saying "It's too much food". Maybe so, but I'm not staying in my room the entire time. The food is only one aspect of staying CL - and we're using IPO heavily on this trip. Also, we're utilizing the plan a bit differently than some families. We are spending a majority of our breakfasts in the CL lounge, and then using the extra credit for signature dining in the evening or 2credit character/shows (some occasions with a sitter on hand, since our kids are younger). That's the beauty of deluxe dining, options. I know it's not for everyone, but we're foodies - we enjoy quality dining experiences and trying new foods. Deluxe dining makes that possible as part of our vacation, and it is a savings if that is what you enjoy. I think out of all of our days, we have one counter service planned for the entire family (our DS will eat CS a few times more when we have a sitter). Disney is the one place we can go, with our kids - enjoy nice restaurants, and not have people annoyed that we brought our children along. :)

get room service bfast 2 days sine you have 4 'spare' credits each!

Whatever works for you. Worst case scenario, you have extra credits and can use that to determine what works for you next time :thumbsup2

So true, and what kind of vacation is that, stressing - when in the end you're going to break even or better yourself? The last thing I want to do is sit at the dinner table with a calculator. Particularly if I think I'm going to end up close to where I would be. (or if I had a teenage son in tow, and risk telling him he couldn't eat something on the menu that he could have otherwise).

We to are staying YC/CL, with DxDDP, and several people keep saying "It's too much food". Maybe so, but I'm not staying in my room the entire time. The food is only one aspect of staying CL - and we're using IPO heavily on this trip. Also, we're utilizing the plan a bit differently than some families. We are spending a majority of our breakfasts in the CL lounge, and then using the extra credit for signature dining in the evening or 2credit character/shows (some occasions with a sitter on hand, since our kids are younger). That's the beauty of deluxe dining, options. I know it's not for everyone, but we're foodies - we enjoy quality dining experiences and trying new foods. Deluxe dining makes that possible as part of our vacation, and it is a savings if that is what you enjoy. I think out of all of our days, we have one counter service planned for the entire family (our DS will eat CS a few times more when we have a sitter). Disney is the one place we can go, with our kids - enjoy nice restaurants, and not have people annoyed that we brought our children along. :)

THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!!! That is EXACTLY how I feel, and how we will be using the DlX dining plan for the most part. What credits we don't use, we'll use the extra for room service on our last day...and I definitely want to try Beaches and Cream for lunch one day, which will use another TS credit!
If we have left over, oh well....at least we where able to experience dining "no holds barred" so-to-speak! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter