Help deciding home resort BWV vs AKV

If you’re looking at something like President’s Day weekend 2024, BWV standard rooms are already fully booked. AKV 1BRs are fully available.

You will likely want a car for AKV. Whether you need one for BWV since you can walk to 2 parks is debatable.

Although similar points charts, rack rates at BWV are about 25% higher than AKV. It’s a more in-demand resort.

Also, por que no los dos? Buy small contracts for each and continue split-staying.
We like early February. But really would also possibly do June or September. Not likely to do spring break or holidays.

Garden view is the largest category in BW, that should be the room that anyone who doesn't own BW should expect to book. Standard and BW view are both only a few rooms.

Value 1BR AKL is pound for pound one of the best $ values in DVC, that one is crazy to be available.
Honestly, any 1BR is fine with us. So we would take Garden view. The question is, what does that look like at 7 months out, if we don't go with BWV as our home? 2 bedrooms are near impossible inside 11 months right? I think I read that they only have 2 bedroom lock offs, so once the studios are booked, theres no 2 bedrooms.

This is actually a really good idea. I am just worried that if we do decide to sell it down the line, if we do SSR, it won't sell because I know there is always a lot of them, and they aren't "valued" as much. But I like the idea of flexibility.
The flip of this is that you know the value, and a few bucks price cut, or a couple hundred dollars, will get this sold right right now. That isn't necessarily true for smaller or more expensive resorts, or bad value like BR. Woof. I think I recommended BR once to someone who had to stay at WL and wanted a studio that slept five.

I think BLT is a great pick for SAP right now as well, and the 1BR has two bathrooms, which might matter.

Last edited:
The location of BWV is a big plus for me. I have stayed at both resorts. The age difference in kids is also something to consider. Your teen/almost adult (ack!) would probably love the location and transportation options at BW. I can see why your other half and son love AK. Both are great places. I think split stays are nice so I would think BW is a better buy because it is much harder to book.

Honestly, any 1BR is fine with us. So we would take Garden view. The question is, what does that look like at 7 months out, if we don't go with BWV as our home? 2 bedrooms are near impossible inside 11 months right? I think I read that they only have 2 bedroom lock offs, so once the studios are booked, theres no 2 bedrooms.
2BRs are more difficult to book than 1BR, but they aren't impossible at 7 months. I booked BC 2BR for this summer at 7 months.

All BW 2BRs are lock-offs. BW studios are gone, lockoffs are gone. AKL isn't that hard.

7 months from now is what we call fall frenzy, which is DVC peak because points are low. AK 2BR savanna is still pretty open for 5,6,7 months.

We are looking to purchase a DVC resale contract. We recently did a split stay at AKL and BWV. I thought it might help us decide, but really we are still torn. My daughter (17) and I preferred BWV and I love that they are finally doing a renovation and the location can’t be beat. Also tons of great food options. But ideally we would want to go in February again, and I know that might be hard to get between being inside 11 months now, and rooms being closed off for renovations. My husband and son (7) liked AKL better. It feels like a get a way vacation, where they could wander around or enjoy the pool. Secluded and immersive. But personally for our kids, the food options weren’t the best. But seeing animals every day can’t be beat. I’m inclined to buy BWV but the 2042 date really bothers me. We will probably only go every other year or so, so only having 19 or less years on the contract doesn’t seem great. I love the idea of taking my kids families when they have kids. AKL has some great deals right now, and I know atleast half my family prefers it. But I also know it’s pretty easy to book at 7 months, so the advantage for having it be our home resort vs BWV is the contract year. For reference, we would mostly be looking to book one bedrooms.

Help me decide! I’ve been going back and forth for weeks. It feels like such a big expense/commitment, I don’t want to pick the wrong one. And I want to strike while the pricing is in my favor!
honestly -- If you're looking at booking 1BRs -- then I would go with SSR for the cheapest buy-in -- lower MFs.

1BRs are not typically hard to get at any of the resorts at 7 months.

The only reason you consider AKV is because you will walk/stalk the Value rooms and want further out than 2042 on the contract.

Its not close regarding the resort itself and BWV Standard rooms are cheap for the location you get access to.

Have you stayed at AKV for a whole stay? That is my only feedback when people say they want to buy there. Until you stay there and stay at a resort close to the parks you might not realize the difference it makes on your vacation (which for us is dramatic eliminating the bus requirement a good portion of the trip).

1BRs are not typically hard to get at any of the resorts at 7 months.

Need to remember though is that for some resorts you will find the ability to get cheaper 1br at 11 months though.

AKV = Value 1BR
BW = Std 1BR

BW will be harder and AKV is almost for sure gone at 7 months. So the cheaper MFs now require you to buy more points to take the same trip which possible means overall you have spent more money.

The only reason you consider AKV is because you will walk/stalk the Value rooms and want further out than 2042 on the contract.

Its not close regarding the resort itself and BWV Standard rooms are cheap for the location you get access to.

Have you stayed at AKV for a whole stay? That is my only feedback when people say they want to buy there. Until you stay there and stay at a resort close to the parks you might not realize the difference it makes on your vacation (which for us is dramatic eliminating the bus requirement a good portion of the trip).
We did a split stay. We did a few days at BW and did Epcot and HS those days. And then went to AKL and spent 2 days, and did AK one day...and took an Uber to the park, so we didn't even use the bus. haha! I 100 percent think I would eventually get stir crazy after more than a few days at AKV, but my husband and son preferred it (but my daughter and I preferred BW). But I do think maybe they were just wore out by the time we got there, so they probably appreciated the serene-ness after all the park hopping we did prior to that. The only reason I consider AKV is b/c of the contract year vs. BWV.

spent 2 days, and did AK one day...and took an Uber to the park

I would ask your husband if he is good budgeting for an Uber 2x-4x a day for the next 30 years when you go to AKV and stay there.

I would also outline to your husband AKV is "easy" to get at 7 months so for a tack-on to the end of a stay when you do AK park you can still get that fix they want yearly.

With your Son the parks of choice might change as he exists that young kid range to pre-teen and teenage years. I don't know your kids though so I could be completely wrong as I know some people love AK the park which is exactly who should own at AKV.

I would ask your husband if he is good budgeting for an Uber 2x-4x a day for the next 30 years when you go to AKV and stay there.

I would also outline to your husband AKV is "easy" to get at 7 months so for a tack-on to the end of a stay when you do AK park you can still get that fix they want yearly.

With your Son the parks of choice might change as he exists that young kid range to pre-teen and teenage years. I don't know your kids though so I could be completely wrong as I know some people love AK the park which is exactly who should own at AKV.
My husband does the whole "whatever you want to do, I trust you" thing. haha. So he really will go with the flow. I just know he liked the vibe there, but mostly b/c I wore him out this trip. But he will be fine either way. I do think my son, since he's 7 (my daughter is 17) will end up being more excited by the thrills/most exciting rides at other parks after the novelty of the animals wears off. Animal kingdom IS my favorite park, BUT you have to take a bus regardless, so that doesn't mean much to me.

I own at AKV and BWV and do split stays so I can be near Food&Wine exits but I always say AKV is home, such a beautiful resort and I‘ve stayed at AKV many times, full set of std, savannah, value rooms and club rooms.
Never understood the hate on buses, always been fine for me and the fact it’s detached from everywhere is a massive perk! Everyone sees it differently but as an international owner when you speak to people in UK they always think of AKV as the ultimate place to stay, not VGF or RIV it’s the place with a savannah!

BWV rooms are desperate for a refurb (happening later this year), great point charts at both resorts that need to own to get lowest point room, maybe buy both and keep up your split stays haha

I kind of think buy both for split stays is nice! Continue wearing everyone out while at BW and then chill out at AK. You've got 3/4 parks covered, amazing dining, walkability, and an extended contract with AK.

Agreed that the location makes a BIG difference. Not having to rely on the buses makes for a generally much more pleasurable "park" vacation.

But it really depends how you do a WDW trip. Obviously, us DVC owners aren't doing the "once in a lifetime WDW trip" where we need to be at the parks every day to do every attraction.
AKV can be nice for some families and/or some trips that want to get away from the parks. A trip that might include tickets to a couple after-hours parties, but otherwise avoiding the parks. Or simply wanting a non-park feel for when you're not in the park.
So that distance and separation from the parks can be both a good and bad thing.

For me, personally, more often I'm in the same boat at you -- I love Riviera for the easy back and forth from Epcot. No buses, a breezy skyliner ride in and out (except at park close). I can easily go back and forth to Epcot and/or DHS 3+ times per day. Similarly when I've stayed at Beach Club or Boardwalk... just being able to spontaneously walk over to Epcot without the drudgery of buses.

But - getting AKV-value is difficult. I have yet to get that needle in the haystack, but have scored std. view studio at BWV(on wait-list). We already own at AKV, and just added on at BWV. The other consideration was BCV, which definitely requires the 11Mo. advantage. (and is closer to EPCOT & has SAB), but on the occasion when we can get the std, view at BWV, it becomes a point-saver. DVC trip planning is not for the faint of heart!!

1BR at BWV are pretty easily available, even in the standard category. Our kids are young, and love Disney, so my vote goes to AKV also; you'll be able to switch to a 1BR at BWV, certainly in pool/garden view, pretty easily, and you'll have the points for longer. Also, your kids may grow into the dining options at AKV. I love both resorts, own at neither! (But strongly considered BCV and BWV and ultimately passed because of the 2042 end date)

1BR at BWV are pretty easily available, even in the standard category. Our kids are young, and love Disney, so my vote goes to AKV also; you'll be able to switch to a 1BR at BWV, certainly in pool/garden view, pretty easily, and you'll have the points for longer. Also, your kids may grow into the dining options at AKV. I love both resorts, own at neither! (But strongly considered BCV and BWV and ultimately passed because of the 2042 end date)
Thank you. This is actually really good advice. I love BWV so much I think it’s blinding my judgement. If I’m being honest, we won’t always be using our points for Disney. After DW in 2024, we plan on AUL/HH/vero for 2025. Then swap for a cruise at some point, and for hotel points in Europe. So DW will be intermittent but it probably makes sense to pay the less per point.

Thank you. This is actually really good advice. I love BWV so much I think it’s blinding my judgement. If I’m being honest, we won’t always be using our points for Disney. After DW in 2024, we plan on AUL/HH/vero for 2025. Then swap for a cruise at some point, and for hotel points in Europe. So DW will be intermittent but it probably makes sense to pay the less per point.
We've stayed at BCV on our own points and rented points 2-3x now, same with BWV (std, p/g). We just booked a savanna view (? cannot remember) 2br at Kidani as a 2-day extension to a trip in August (5 mo out!) no problem. BLT, otoh, was pretty much gone in all categories around 7 months. We've stayed at AKV a few times now also, and while the dark wood doesn't appeal to me so much, I do like everything else about the resort. It's pretty easy to get standard and savanna views because the resort is so big.

That said, SSR resale points are an AMAZING value right now - as @mustinjourney has said, if you could get more points because of the lower cost per point, that may be worth it!

Well, I finally decided. I had accepted offers on both an AKV listing and a BWV listing. I chose to move forward with the BWV listing. I figure I can always buy additional points at AKV once we figure out how we will use our points and our patterns. But I couldn’t pass up a good deal on BWV. I’m sure I’ll still go back and forth on if I made the right decision, but atleast I made one finally! Haha.

1679694846164.gif

Kidding :) welcome home! I’m sure you and your family will have a lot of great vacations with your BWV points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter