• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help decide value vs moderate...

emmaleigh47

Mouseketeer
I have room reservations for Pop Century for October 3-17th. Now I having to change the dates of our trip and I am considering changing the reservations (especially because we do not have a rental car now).

Here are some things that I consider important

1. Quiet, well at least being able to sleep.
2. Bus services - quick and convenient, close perhaps?
3. Pool?

Basically as you can see I am not too picky! Last year we stayed at AsMo and although on the whole it was ok, the bus situation because of having to share with the other all stars was not the best.

We booked POP thinking that we were renting a car --- now changed and we will only have Disney transportation.

Would a Moderate be nicer? How much more expensive? Better bus services?

We have the DxDDP so we will be ALL OVER for our reservations!

Thanks so much for your help... I just cannot make this decision.

I have room reservations for Pop Century for October 3-17th. Now I having to change the dates of our trip and I am considering changing the reservations (especially because we do not have a rental car now).

Here are some things that I consider important

1. Quiet, well at least being able to sleep.
2. Bus services - quick and convenient, close perhaps?
3. Pool?

Basically as you can see I am not too picky! Last year we stayed at AsMo and although on the whole it was ok, the bus situation because of having to share with the other all stars was not the best.

We booked POP thinking that we were renting a car --- now changed and we will only have Disney transportation.

Would a Moderate be nicer? How much more expensive? Better bus services?

We have the DxDDP so we will be ALL OVER for our reservations!

Thanks so much for your help... I just cannot make this decision.

Hi-
I would do a moderate if you plan on being at the hotel some. Besides that POP has it's own busses like a moderate. I would stay at POP again in a heartbeat, I enjoyed our stay there, it is my favorite value so far.

One thing to remember, when using Disney transport for ADR transportation (especially resort to resort) is to allow plenty of time. It can take 90 minutes to get from one resort to another. It's a good idea to plan your ADR's around which park you will be in - to minimize the travel time and connections.

Basically, it doesn't make a lot of difference whether you are in a value or moderate as far as transportation goes. Each of the moderates has several internal bus stops to navigate coming and going from the park (either using the park bus, or a combination of internal resort bus and park bus - which takes longer). Pop has one bus stop for the resort, so once you're on a bus, you're headed to your destination. This can be a plus.

Don't get me wrong - I drive to Disney, so I have my own car with me, and I still typically use Disney transportation to go everywhere. It will get you where you need to go. But I wouldn't use it as a big factor in deciding whether to stay in a moderate or value resort.

I would consider which resort will give you the themeing and amenities you want. The moderate pools will have slides and hot tubs where the value pools don't. The moderate rooms are slightly larger than the value rooms. CSR has been upgrading to queen beds, so if you like a little larger bed, that's something to consider. The bathrooms are laid out similarly, so that has never been a factor for us when deciding what level to stay. As far as being quiet to sleep, that depends entirely on the neighbors in the rooms around you. The noisiest stay I ever had was in a deluxe - so it's not just a value problem. If you're in a resort with the "turbo toilets", closing the bathroom door can help cut down on noise. I travel with a small white noise machine, which really blocks the sounds from other rooms so I can sleep.

I have only stayed at moderates and deluxe but have heard good things about POP. We are going this fall and had all but booked at POP.When push came to shove, we decided that downtime and a bit more quiet environment was worth the extra money to us. Think the difference at this time was about $65 or so per night (we are going 10/10-10/17). For us it was well worth it. We ended up at Port Orleans French Quarter due to it's smaller size and that all the buildings are close to the bus stop. I have stayed there before and really liked it, especially to boat to Downtown Disney.

Moderate:thumbsup2 We stayed at POFQ 6/5-6/13 even tho you won't have the heat problem that we encountered, the moderates are great. I am so glad we didn't stay at ASMU, which was on my list. POFQ was quiet and a few degrees cooler then the parks. All the CMs were outstanding. The food court workers were so nice and polite. I bet POFQ would be perfect in October. We looked at POR too. Very nice also. Never heard a sound at night:wizard:Of course we were at a busy time, so only one time did the bus go over to POR and pick up additional passengers. We were there for 8 days. No transportation issues for us.

As far as the quiet factor, another thing you may want to consider is large groups. When large groups go together, they tend to book the lower priced hotel to make it more affordable to the whole group. We saw some of said groups on our last trip, many lining up for the POP bus at parks, while we got in line with mostly families in the CBR bus line.

Main pools are also great and all, but when you're beat and just want a nice swim without walking to the main theme pools, we sure enjoyed the quiet pool of our "village" without a walk.

i would go for the moderate, a bit quiter probably would not have the large groups booking there. you also ge the quite pools as well as the big pool. we are staying at cbr which i changed from pop. i wanted the pirate room and decided the extra money was well worth it.:thumbsup2

I am not a big fan of the values--find them too crowded and too noisy. We much prefer the spread out moderate and have stayed at the CSR seven of our last eight stays. We like that there is a big pool with a slide, hot tub, three quiet pools, etc. Now, they also have queen beds at the CSR which is icing on the cake.

I would choose a mod. I have nothing against the values, but after staying at one, I realized when I go on vacation, I need lush grounds and many flowers. I found the values to have too much concrete and not the relaxing look of the mods. The grounds at the mods are very pretty, there is usually a body of water to view while walking around, and they have a more tranquil appearance. I feel you can get the whole resort experience at a mod, especially if you plan to spend any time there. If you just use your room to sleep at night and do not use the pool or anything, a value might be good. Me? Gotta have those thick lush palm trees and pretty, winding paths. :)

i would go for the moderate, a bit quiter probably would not have the large groups booking there. you also ge the quite pools as well as the big pool. we are staying at cbr which i changed from pop. i wanted the pirate room and decided the extra money was well worth it.:thumbsup2

Note to the OP - Disney is very clever and takes the farthest rooms walk (Trinidad South) and get you to pay more for "pirate rooms" which would make your walk to the Ol' Port Royale more of a walk than many standard rooms (so called Nemo rooms, due to the bedspreads. There is an internal resort shuttle, but it has to go around the whole loop. My hubby and one son started out of our Barbados room and me and my other son took the shuttle and they beat us plenty good. However, we were just too hot and tired to walk that day, so were glad to wait. If you go for CBR and want to pay extra for a what they call a preferred room (close to Ol' Port), youll get like Martinique. I only state this fact because OP wanted less walk, I believe. If Pirate room is important to you, then it's there - just didn't want OP to think there was no difference in other conveniences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter