Help! Daughter injured.

babyt

Earning My Ears
Hi, I haven't every looked into what to do when someone is injured. My daughter is 10 and tonight she tore her patellar tendon and broke/dislodged a piece of bone where the tendon attaches to the kneecap. We see a surgeon in the morning, and I am hoping they can just immobilize and keep on crutches for a week until we get back from Disney. She will definitely be on crutches, and wont be able to move her knee at all or bear any weight. She is devastated this will ruin the vacation. Short of trying to reschedule, will we be able to get a pass so she can do the shorter lines to at least spend a little time at the parks or should I just try and see if there is any way to reschedule our trip without losing everything we have paid? Sorry I have no idea what to do right now!

Hi, I haven't every looked into what to do when someone is injured. My daughter is 10 and tonight she tore her patellar tendon and broke/dislodged a piece of bone where the tendon attaches to the kneecap. We see a surgeon in the morning, and I am hoping they can just immobilize and keep on crutches for a week until we get back from Disney. She will definitely be on crutches, and wont be able to move her knee at all or bear any weight. She is devastated this will ruin the vacation. Short of trying to reschedule, will we be able to get a pass so she can do the shorter lines to at least spend a little time at the parks or should I just try and see if there is any way to reschedule our trip without losing everything we have paid? Sorry I have no idea what to do right now!

Sorry for your DD! There is no "shorter line" pass, but if you read the FAQ at the top of this forum you will find a lot of helpful info. I'm not a doctor, but that sounds like a pretty bad injury that might need immediate treatment (especially if something is dislodged). Is there any way you can move your dates back until she is better? Disney should work with you to reschedule, but even if you cancel completely you would only be out your deposit (if you didn't buy insurance, that is). Best of luck!

I echo PP here, but would also add that crutches are probably not the best option. For someone that's not used to using them even hopping around a mall can be exhausting or painful, so I can't imagine anyone (kid or adult) would have a good time using them in the parks where you can walk several miles in a day.

TheoDawg said:
www.yellowscooters.com have great rates on scooters the fold into car trunks.

Scooters are not rented to children.

To the OP... I would try to reschedule. This sounds like a major injury and trying to postpone the healing could mean long term problems.

I echo PP here, but would also add that crutches are probably not the best option. For someone that's not used to using them even hopping around a mall can be exhausting or painful, so I can't imagine anyone (kid or adult) would have a good time using them in the parks where you can walk several miles in a day.

:thumbsup2

No way she will be able to handle crutches. This is a bad injury, you should reschedule your trip. I hope you bought trip insurance (if rescheduling will cause a financial loss).

If I were you, I would reschedule the trip and take a loss if you have to. I have a 9 year old and I couldn't imagine taking her to Disney with that kind of injury, especially right after it happened. Your daughter is going to be miserable at Disney and in pain. If you do go through with the trip, I would rent her a wheelchair. With a wheelchair you can go through the regular lines. For the lines that can't accommodate the wheelchair a CM will direct you to where wheelchair access is. Good luck.

I am an orthopedic physical therapist. (17 years experience) I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the injury your DD sustained will likely need surgery sooner rather than later. She will then likely be in a long leg immobilizer, or perhaps even casted, for 6-8 weeks. If this happened to my daughter, I would for sure postpone our trip. When are you supposed to leave? Best of luck, and I hope your DD feels better soon. :goodvibes

OP, how did the appointment go this morning? I have a 10 year DD in martial arts. A knee injury is a fear of mine. Praying your DD feels better and heals quickly. :goodvibes

I am 8 weeks post-op and 2 weeks post PT for just having my knee scoped to repairs some torn cartilage in my knee and remove the floating pieces. I was on crutches for a little over a week after surgery and crutches were a pain in the behind to walk with even for an hour.

Per my PT I'm 80% there from regaining the strength in my knee (original injury also included a sprained muscle and tendon). However, I'm still in pain at this point if I do to much. So don't let your daughter feel bad or guilty and make sure she knows that her health is more important than a trip to WDW. I would call WDW directly and see what you can do and go back to focusing on what must be very painful and scary for your little girl.

By the way, even at 40+ I was nervous about having surgery - please let her know it was one of the best naps I had! :love:

I would reschedule. If you are flying she will not be able to elevate her leg and do to the altitude her knee will swell and be more painful for her.

She will be miserable so why go if she can not enjoy it.

...She will definitely be on crutches, and wont be able to move her knee at all or bear any weight. She is devastated this will ruin the vacation. ...

Her inability to move her leg is key. While you can get her around the parks, will her knee be bent or straight? If the leg is straight it would seem that getting on rides would be very difficult.

Later,
Dan

babyt said:

Ask your doctor and take his\her advice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter