Help convince me & my DH

My Husband and I have been on 2 DCL before even having a child I was told it was never going to happen. And we LOVE Disney so much so we decided to go and now we wont go on any other Cruise line Bring our on alcohol on board was a treat in its self lol. But we had an Amazing time. Now we are going on our third cruise and this time with a 9 month old! And we have some nursery time set aside cause we already know all the adult things we like to do. There really is a lot to do on the boat for just adults. If you don't want to feel guilty about not bringing the kids schedule one later in the year with them lol! But have an Amazing time! They really do make things magical for couples!

OK, I will tell you my feelings......

I would take the kids! There is nothing like your first DCL cruise together as family. And depending on your schedule, you can actually have that couple time and still have the kids on board. My DW and I enjoy the alone time but only took one weekend by ourselves over the first 18 years of my daughters life. She now lives off and we have cruised about 8 times without her.

OK, I will tell you my feelings......

I would take the kids! There is nothing like your first DCL cruise together as family. And depending on your schedule, you can actually have that couple time and still have the kids on board. My DW and I enjoy the alone time but only took one weekend by ourselves over the first 18 years of my daughters life. She now lives off and we have cruised about 8 times without her.

I agree with this! Kids grow up so fast. Pretty soon they won't want to go, or be too busy with their own lives. I would go together and arrange for a Palo night and maybe a couples massage treatment while the kids were in the clubs.

I'm a little confused, your signature says 7 months til your Wonder cruise. Is that the one you and your husband talked about today, or is that a family one? If that's a family cruise I would definitely take one by yourself.

Idk why that's on there, we already did a family cruise with DCL back in April. Me and DH haven't booked a cruise yet :)

Idk why that's on there, we already did a family cruise with DCL back in April. Me and DH haven't booked a cruise yet :)

It restarted once the cruise passed. It's 7 months until next April.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

DH and I are getting ready to do our 2nd Disney cruise WITHOUT our daughter.:cool1: (I need to also say, she is 19, in college, and can't miss classes.) That said, there's no way we would have gone without her when she was younger. (The first one without her was just last year, and she couldn't miss classes then either, high-school senior.)

Every parent is different. Our time away with her was when we went on 'date nights.' The years went by so fast.:(

In January, my husband and I are taking a back to back cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate our 55th anniversary. It will be our 8th and 9th Disney crise and we have never had any of our children or grandchildren with us. We would love to have them with us, but can't afford to pay their way and they are busy paying college tuitions etc. So, we go just the two of us and have a wonderful time. We are also old enough to spend out winters in Kissimme and are annual passholders to WDW and love every minute of that too. If the family can come visit, we love it, but we can still have a great time just the two of us.

Go just he two of you this time and book a another cruise with the family, so you can get the discount.

Have fun !!!

Honestly? I wouldn't do a Disney Cruise with my husband and not the kids. I wouldn't have fun because I would be watching the joy on the faces of everyone else's kids and missing my own!! I do think you deserve a romantic trip, though. I'd just choose something less kid focused. We love Sandals Emerald Bay. No kids. (Will I be stoned for recommending something non Disney on the disboard?). It's up to you, though. Do what makes you happy! If you really want to do the Disney cruise without kids, then give it a try! You can always justify it by saying you are checking it out before you bring the kids in a few years ;)

I absolutely agree.

Wow, I can't believe I'm saying this but...

I do believe adults only trips on DCL are wonderful. But in this instance, I think you and your husband will miss sharing everything with your kids.

You will have a good time, for sure. But as you've never been on one before, as a family, you'll be wishing they were there to take in the family options.

This is assuming your kids are teens or younger. If they are older, in the "I don't care about anything" phase, then go on as a couple and enjoy!

Whatever you decide, you will enjoy the cruise, with or without the kids.

Good luck!::yes::

I vote do it~especially if you just took the kids in April. I get what the others are saying, that the years go fast and you should be satisfied with just a date night. But if the opportunity is there, take advantage. Life is short.

So me and DH have been together 18 yrs and married almost 4 yrs. We have never had a real vacation with just the 2 of us and we never took a honeymoon. Up until the past couple years we really couldn't afford it. I suggested today that me and him go on a 4 or 5 night Disney Cruise and we both keep coming back to feeling guilt of going on one without the kids. I feel like I really am doing something wrong by going without them but at the same time I really think we need a trip with just us. And I will only do disney. Please help convince us what to do...I value everyone's opinions. Thanks!

My wife and I have done a Disney Cruise without the kids and we loved it. She has also done 2 cruises with her BFF and one cruise with 9 other moms, no kids.

If you want a vacation for you and your husband, take a vacation for you and your husband. Spending time on your relationship and being together on an extended date is very wise.

Being on a Disney ship for that vacation is perfectly fine. It doesn't truly affect the kids if you sail DCL, CCL, RCL, Norwegian, or go to a cabin in Wisconsin; no matter what, there will be 4 Disney cruises during that time frame, and your presence or absence does not change where the kids are. If you enjoy it and think the kids will enjoy it, perhaps you will choose it for a family vacation some day. Please don't feel that you have to choose something only adults would like; choose something that YOU would like.

I say go, have fun, enjoy being a married couple with no kids for a few days!

So me and DH have been together 18 yrs and married almost 4 yrs. We have never had a real vacation with just the 2 of us and we never took a honeymoon. Up until the past couple years we really couldn't afford it. I suggested today that me and him go on a 4 or 5 night Disney Cruise and we both keep coming back to feeling guilt of going on one without the kids. I feel like I really am doing something wrong by going without them but at the same time I really think we need a trip with just us. And I will only do disney. Please help convince us what to do...I value everyone's opinions. Thanks!

DH and I took the DCL Pacific Coast Cruise by ourselves last September. It was such a great experience, totally different from cruising with kids. It was the first time I have truly relaxed. Even on the other cruises with the kids, when I had alone time I was constanly checking the wave phone to see if DS needed to be picked up, etc. I never really had time to myself to relax.

When just DH and I went, we spent one full day at the adult pool (have never sat by the adult pool before, much less spent a day there). Other days I took my Kindle, grabbed a spiked coffee drink from the Cove Cafe and just sat in a lounge chair reading. Ohhh, pure heaven :goodvibes

But that being said, we had just taken a Mexican Riviera cruise with the kids earlier that year and then had the Fantasy booked for this year. So my kids were not going without.

Wow, I can't believe I'm saying this but... I do believe adults only trips on DCL are wonderful. But in this instance, I think you and your husband will miss sharing everything with your kids. You will have a good time, for sure. But as you've never been on one before, as a family, you'll be wishing they were there to take in the family options. This is assuming your kids are teens or younger. If they are older, in the "I don't care about anything" phase, then go on as a couple and enjoy! Whatever you decide, you will enjoy the cruise, with or without the kids. Good luck!::yes::

Oh no if we never took the kids before I wouldn't even consider doing a DCL cruise but we were on one all together this year.

Other than that, I don't think seeing other kids having a good time is going to make me feel bad and I will miss my kids regardless but I think it will make me wanna book while there for another family vacation and I get a lot of people suggesting do a different cruise but like some one else said whats the difference between us going DCL or RCCL, kwim? I personally only will sail DCL and usually do Disney vacas. I just want the most bang for my buck per say. I love the characters but there's something about Disneys service that goes above and beyond.

My parents regularly went on getaways without my sisters or me when we were younger. They always explained that mom and dad needed time to themselves, and we were perfectly fine with that. (And trust me, they went to some pretty cool places!) Go for it!

My DH and i took a vacation this year without our kids and added on a 3 night cruise on the Dream and had a wonderful time. We took our kids on a 5 night in 2012 and we have a 7 night booked for 2014. We also took them to Tennessee when we returned from our cruise, so they certainly were not deprived.

We take at least one weekend trip a year without our kids and have decided to start taking an adults only vacation once a year since we had such a great time this year. Our situation is a little different though because we are a blended family and our kids are gone every other weekend and every other week during the summer so we have a little more time. My trip report is in my signature if you would like to read it. :)

I vote do it~especially if you just took the kids in April. I get what the others are saying, that the years go fast and you should be satisfied with just a date night. But if the opportunity is there, take advantage. Life is short.

I am not exactly saying this. I just think that a dc is an easy trip to take with the kids. I jealously guard my annual vacations with my husband. They love their "week with grandma" and we get to do vacations that have a different vibe than when we go with the kids. Like a port intensive European cruise with lots of walking, or climbing Machu Picchu and a river cruise in the amazon or some other bucket list type trip. If it's Disney you want, then by all means take it. It just seemed in the opening you were unsure and I think you should do something wonderful that you wouldn't get the chance to do if you had the kids.

I think there is something wonderful about taking some time out for just the two of you!

I am not exactly saying this. I just think that a dc is an easy trip to take with the kids. I jealously guard my annual vacations with my husband. They love their "week with grandma" and we get to do vacations that have a different vibe than when we go with the kids. Like a port intensive European cruise with lots of walking, or climbing Machu Picchu and a river cruise in the amazon or some other bucket list type trip. If it's Disney you want, then by all means take it. It just seemed in the opening you were unsure and I think you should do something wonderful that you wouldn't get the chance to do if you had the kids.

I think there is something wonderful about taking some time out for just the two of you!

I didn't mean to come off snarky there.:goodvibes Not what I intended. I am glad you and your DH get to be adventurous and explore the world, I am jealous!!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter