Help choosing boat tour in Grand Cayman

clawmachine

DIS Veteran
Hello - I think we have narrowed down our choices in Grand Cayman (the only port where will be doing a actual DCL excursion) to Seaworld Explorer Semi Submarine or Nautilus Undersea Tour. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is better, or can share an experience on either one? Our kids are
8, 6 and 3.

thanks!

We have not done either one in Grand Cayman but have done both at other ports.

We did a semi-submarine excursion in Curacao and it was just a boat with an open hull where we all sat on benches looking out the portholes. It was very rocky and because of the smell of the engine exhaust several people went back up to the open deck. We would not do that type of excursion again.

We did the Nautilus submarine excursion in St. Thomas and thought it was great! We were the last people to board and were seated at the front where there was a porthole about 6 feet across right in front of the driver. We could see out that porthole as well as the ones in front of our seats. We would definitely do that one again.

Just our experiences and $.02 worth.......

Thanks so much - that's exactly the kind of info I need! I do get seasick quite often and now I'm thinking maybe either one is a bad idea? Are these things "barfboats" like some of the other ferries and so forth?

tia!

Thanks so much - that's exactly the kind of info I need! I do get seasick quite often and now I'm thinking maybe either one is a bad idea? Are these things "barfboats" like some of the other ferries and so forth?

tia!

The one we did in Curacao was just a large boat (maybe 30 - 35 feet long) with an open deck on top and the seats in the hull. It wasn't like a ferry, more like a good sized cabin cruiser, without the cabin. As I said, it was quite rocky and we never even left the cove we were in.

The submarine in St. Thomas was very steady, even though the waves on the surface were around 3 feet. It was a very pleasant, air conditioned ride. A little bumpy going out to the sub (about a mile offshore), but fine once we were below the surface.

The one we did in Curacao was just a large boat (maybe 30 - 35 feet long) with an open deck on top and the seats in the hull. It wasn't like a ferry, more like a good sized cabin cruiser, without the cabin. As I said, it was quite rocky and we never even left the cove we were in.

The submarine in St. Thomas was very steady, even though the waves on the surface were around 3 feet. It was a very pleasant, air conditioned ride. A little bumpy going out to the sub (about a mile offshore), but fine once we were below the surface.

thanks! Both tours are about the same price, so your info is very helpful! Believe me I am already preparing to bring every sort of motion sickness remedy known to mankind, lol!
I would rather do Stingray City but two of my 3 kids are absolutely petrified by the idea, so these boat tours are something we all could agree on... :)

Another thing about the submarine tour was that we saw a lot more sea life - huge sting rays, a couple of small sharks and lot of different kinds of fish. We also got to see some coral reefs with lots of fish swimming around them.

The only thing we saw on the semi-sub was a school of fish, and they were only around because a diver was in the water feeding them "for our benefit".

Thanks!! Anyone want to share their experience on either trip? I can't find much so far..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter