• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help choosing a laptop???

aksunshine

DIS Veteran
Who knows computers really well? I need help finding a great laptop. We casually looked around but are feeling out of the loop bc it has been so long since we shopped for a computer. Lol! So we need an all purpose laptop. Avg size. Long battery life, 8 GB and 1 TB prefered. Not outrageously priced! TIA:wave2:

Who knows computers really well? I need help finding a great laptop. We casually looked around but are feeling out of the loop bc it has been so long since we shopped for a computer. Lol! So we need an all purpose laptop. Avg size. Long battery life, 8 GB and 1 TB prefered. Not outrageously priced! TIA:wave2:

I don't know a lot about computers…but I do know that we have bought 4 or 5 lower priced computers (Dells) over the past 10 years or so…and then we bit the bullet and bought a Mac.
Best decision ever!
We used to have all kinds of virus' and problems with the others…never a problem out of the Mac. My DSIL and DBIL's family all have Macs and have had them forever, and no issues.
We got DS one (Macbook Pro) for his high school graduation and then bought a family Mac Airbook for us.
Love the Apple products! We got an iPad Mini on Black Friday last year too :)
They are very pricy, but well worth it in the long run…JMHO.

I bought the lowest price Macbook somewhere between 5-7 years ago. Had to replace the hard drive for $100 once just recently. I adore it and will never ever go back to windows. The help from the Genius bar and even over the phone is superb. We are an Apple family now. Even got my extended family to switch. Worth every extra penny because they last so long.

If you can swing it, a Mac. Look on the Apple website and find a refurbished one. They are just as good as the regular ones. I have a Mac desktop and have never had a problem with it. No viruses or anything.

oh yeah, I forgot to mention my really old laptop was a refurbished one Still going strong

If you think you need 8gb ram and 1tb storage you must have some needs that you should enlighten us about prior to us giving suggestions. Regardless I have owned a ton of laptops over the years, without a doubt the best were always Macs. Of those (and I have owned basically everything from Apple) my suggestion by a mile would be a refurbished 2013 macbook air 13". The base model only has 4gb ram but that is totally adequate unless you are running photoshop or have a ton of browser tabs open at the same time, even if it runs out of ram the solid state drive is so much faster than a regular hard drive that it doesn't slow down nearly as much. It also has only 128gb of storage however you could get a hard drive and hook it onto your router to create a network storage area for things such as music, movies, and photos which would likely be most of what you would need a 1TB drive for (and also things that don't need to be on fast storage).

I just bought a dell Inspiron and while I like it I hate windows 8 with a passion. If you can find one with 7 it will save you some headaches.

The PP who pointed out we should know your needs is absolutely right. Without that, we can't begin to make a reasonable suggestion, and all we see are trite, generic comments: "I got this and like it [or don't like it]", or variations on "buy a Mac, everything else is junk".

I mean no disrespect to any PPs on this thread... it's more or less how many of these 'help me buy a computer' threads go. I did tilt my head a bit at the "I need 8gb or RAM and 1TB storage", which comes as something of a non-sequitur to a title of "help choosing a laptop".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter