Help! Can't make a decision between POR and FW cabins.

JoJostar

Earning My Ears
We are doing a split stay at the end of Feb. It is me, DH, DS (11) and DD (7). We have been to Disney 6 times but have only stayed deluxe. This trip we are staying 5 days at a moderate than switching to the BC CL. I can't decide whether our first 5 days should be POR or FW cabins. We intend to spend quite bit of time enjoying the resort. I think I am leaning toward FW, but I seem to change my mind each week. Could anyone who has stayed at either place give me some pros and cons? We will have a car so that is not an issue.

We have stayed both places. I definitely prefer POR since you can walk everywhere. FW cabin area is huge. You have to take an internal bus to go pretty much anywhere. That or rent a golf cart. The advantage of the cabins is the boat to MK. However, POR has a boat to DTD. The cabins did allow us to skip eating at WDW most of the time because we could even pack a lunch with the full kitchen. To me, POR is incredibly relaxing and a definite Disney experience. The cabins felt a little less Disney to me. We felt rather isolated there. However, if I was in a group of 6 people, I would try the cabins again. It is mostly a difference in atmosphere and price.

I forgot to mention that you can't use your car to get around the resort at the cabins.

Thanks! Do you think that there is enough fun stuff to do at POR to keep us occupied on non-park days?

We've stayed at the cabins and POFQ which is a sister resort w/ POR. The cabins themselves are nice accommodations, however, as a PP mentioned, it can be difficult getting around the resort. POR has food that we found easier to access; the feature pool is fun; there's fishing available; you can take the boat to DTD; there's biking; you can use the serpent pool at POFQ. If you want to enjoy some of the activities at Ft. Wilderness, you can take a boat from the MK to take advantage of those things. BUT, you won't have the ability to fix your own meals at POR.

There is tons to do at POR. I think you will like it. Check out their resort listing on Disney's website. Also, there is the boat to DTD. This was the first time we ever made it to DTD. It was just so convenient.

I know you can rent boats and stuff at POR. Plus, they have a show on Wed-Sat evenings (a comedic singer I guess). There is the lounge and arcade too.

We are doing a split stay at the end of Feb. It is me, DH, DS (11) and DD (7). We have been to Disney 6 times but have only stayed deluxe. This trip we are staying 5 days at a moderate than switching to the BC CL. I can't decide whether our first 5 days should be POR or FW cabins. We intend to spend quite bit of time enjoying the resort. I think I am leaning toward FW, but I seem to change my mind each week. Could anyone who has stayed at either place give me some pros and cons? We will have a car so that is not an issue.
Cabin all the way. it's the best kept secret at Disney. Since you'll have a car this is a no-brainer. There's TONS to do at FW and it's really a great change of pace from all of the other properties.

You sound a lot like me and my family. We'd done nothing but deluxe and did the cabin for the first time last year and are doing it again this year (leaving in just a few days in fact).

There's nothing better than coming back to your cabin after a crazy day at the park and having space for the kiddos to play and a cold beer out of your fridge as you sit on your deck and watch the varmints raid the trash. ;) We also like the fact that you actually are in Disney but are able to get away from all of the noise. You will feel SO much more energy during the days since you'll have a place to head back to that is quiet and lets you unwind. There's plenty of activities for the kids and space for them to run around.

We also make a point to grill steaks one night on the grill (that they clean for you) and eat some meals in the cabin (that mousekeeping cleans up after and even does the dishes for you).

You'll want to rent a golf cart as you are only allowed to drive to and from the property.

But you want to know what we may like best? The ability to drive right up to your front door after touring the parks all day (we drive to all parks other than MK - FW provides boat service there). While everyone else has to walk through a lobby and/or wait on an elevator or even walk a freaking mile from the parking lot or bus stop to their room, you get to park right outside your front door and go right in.

One word of warning though - you may like the cabin so much that you won't want to switch to those swank club level rooms. ;)

The cabins are awesome and if you will have a car then I would definitely go with FW. POR is a fun resort, but accommodations are basically a hotel room. The cabin has a nice deck, private bedroom, kitchen and living area. FW is in a really nice wooded area close to MK. They are one of my sentimental favorites because I watched my Blachhawk's win the Stanley cup from a FW cabin in 2010.

The only real downside to FW though is there is no real parking any where around the resort other than by your cabin/campsite or a general parking area in the front. Also, the buses do not pull off the road to pick up and you cannot pass them. So if you get behind one, you must make every stop they make and wait. It's not fun.

All in All I would take the cabin over POR.

I would go with the Cabins. SO much to do and the things I love: parking right at the front door, having a little building just for us, bedroom and full kitchen at mod prices, and the myriad activities. (In fact, I love the idea of FWC and then BC CL...hmmmm.) That said, either choice will be great! Enjoy!

Here is what has kept us from going back to the cabins:
The cabins only have a full size bed and to make it worse it is up against the wall, neither DW nor I like sleeping up against a wall. I ended up sleeping in one of the bunk beds(murphy bed was not very comfortable). We like the food selection better at POR and pool. The cabins cost more and if spending a lot of time there then you pretty much have to rent a golf cart which is another big cost. We really liked the deck and we did cook a couple of meals there which is nice.

Thanks, everyone! I think we are going to switch. The cabins just seem like something really different than we have done at Disney before. I am excited! My son was over the moon when I told him about the golf carts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter