1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Help Booking Dolphin Discovery Cozumel independently

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by havaneselover, Nov 23, 2012.

1. havaneselover

havaneselover DIS Veteran

I want to book Dolphin Discovery Cozumel myself. I know they run a lot of deals if you do it yourself and today they have 50% off. Any tips on how to do this from anyone who has done it. There's a big price difference, more options, and port time isn't tight (but I acknowledge I am taking on additional risks).

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Miz Diz

Miz Diz <font color=darkorchid>I'll give up anything, as l

I think some people say they are staying at a hotel. The only problem I see is if the ship does not end up stopping at that port, you are out your money.

4. all5ofus

all5ofus DIS Veteran DVC Gold

I have done this and put a Royal Caribbean ship down as they do not have an exclusive agreement with them. I did accept the risk that I could be out money if the ship did not make port (assuming the RCI ship also didn't miss the port). You can find out what other ships are in port by Googling Cozumel port schedule.

5. havaneselover

Thanks for the responses. No RCL ships in port that day (4/3/12). Only Carnival. Will see if I can figure out if they also have an exclusive arrangement with Dolphin Discovery. Otherwise, I may go the hotel route and take the risk. It's such a big price difference and I think the chance of not docking isn't terribly high (I'd be more nervous during hurricane season).

6. Menada1115

Menada1115 Mouseketeer

Do they check the hotel to confirm you are staying there? Like if I put in Marriott in Grand Cayman- will they contact the resort to see if we are there?

7. all5ofus

all5ofus DIS Veteran DVC Gold

They don't check on what you tell them, they just can't take the reservation if you tell them you are on DCL or Carnival because they have an agreement with those cruise lines. Once you have the reservation they do not check on it.

8. havaneselover

Ok. Thanks. This is frustrating as it's not just an enormous price difference but also the ability to pick your level of interaction. I get why Disney and Dolphin Discovery have this agreement. I just hate having my choices limited--especially on a dream vacation.

9. ForTheLoveOfDCL

ForTheLoveOfDCL A Dream is a wish your

I looked at the Black Friday Deal... 50% off... I can either pay Disney $500 or book through Dolphin place for $278. Man that is a difference!! Can someone tell me how easy a taxi is and how much it would cost to get to the Chankanaab park??? I am looking to book a noon swim and a 1pm swim...that way we can make it back to the ship by 3 and also my DD and DH go at noon , I take pics and Me and other DD go at 1 and DH takes pics and video. Don't want to pay the park for pics when I can take better and more.

10. havaneselover

$218 + round trip cab vs. $482 is an enormous difference.

I've read that it's a 10 minute taxi ride. Cannot be that much.

I like your idea about doing two time slots. I'm going with my mom and she is not going to want to be in the water (or wear a bathing suit) so I think I will schedule two times and go with each of my children. I just need too call and make sure I can do that.

11. SnowWhite2

SnowWhite2 DIS Veteran

In Cozumel, there is a big board at the cab stand with listed prices to various locations. It was about $20 a cab for 6 people.

12. Magic-cruiser

Magic-cruiser Much more betterer

Is this the experience at Chakanaab? Chumbawumba? Something like that? Or the "other" one?

13. havaneselover

Yes. Chankanaab National Park.

14. Magic-cruiser

Magic-cruiser Much more betterer

Yes, I booked that excursion myself through them rather than the cruise line.
    I found them to be very helpful in any questions I had, and I also saved a little bit of money.
    I hope this helps.

15. Golden Rose

Golden Rose Princess by Choice

We were able to book both the Sea Lion Interaction and Dolphin Encounter for the same price as doing only the dolphin encounter through Disney. We just filled out the form online and said we were staying at a hotel, and listed the hotel as undecided. They were quick, friendly, and responsive when we had questions. No problem at all.

We have also done the dolphin push, pull, and swim, which we booked through the cruise line. We liked it so much we went back on our most recent trip, which was when we tried booking independently. Easy and fun, both times.

16. Menada1115

Menada1115 Mouseketeer

Question- when y'all booked this, did you receive a confirmation through e-mail? We booked this with the black friday deal and they charged the credit card, but we have not received one thing as for a confirmation...?

17. Golden Rose

Golden Rose Princess by Choice

Yes, I got a confirmation email. Not sure if it was automatically generated or sent by a human being, though.

18. Menada1115

Menada1115 Mouseketeer

Finally got our confirmation. We had to send a copy of the cc statement that showed the charge went through and then they sent an e-mail confirmation of our reservation. :thumbsup2 Here's to hoping the weather is good that day and our ship makes that port.