Help Any other Grand Floridian-GV posters excited about their stay?

I have always been confused by the square footage number. UOG says that GF rooms are 440 sq. feet, but everywhere else I read that the rooms are actually 400sq. ft., making them smaller than Poly rooms.

Are only certain rooms 440 sq. ft.? I know that the dormer rooms are smaller.

TIA!

rooms can vary depending on location, such as corner rooms are larger, dormers are smaller etc. The 440 is the average. They are not larger than the Polynesian rooms but very spacious.

:cool1:
CMbar, we'll be celebrating as well and also a first trip to Florida and WDW for us. We're headed there this Sunday so I'll report back anything special going on. The hotel looks fabulous and the reviews? Some up and some down~~I think from reading alot of the reviews, being on the monorail is a major plus for the resort and also the old fashion Disney ambiance that make's it Disney.
I'm excited to be able to experience GF and hope it lives up to it's hype!

Hi, We stayed at the Grand Floridian late last November and into Dec. We were in a "cheap room". It was a great vacation and the resort is just beautiful. Their Christmas decorations were wonderful and the service was great.

:cool1:
CMbar, we'll be celebrating as well and also a first trip to Florida and WDW for us. We're headed there this Sunday so I'll report back anything special going on. The hotel looks fabulous and the reviews? Some up and some down~~I think from reading alot of the reviews, being on the monorail is a major plus for the resort and also the old fashion Disney ambiance that make's it Disney.
I'm excited to be able to experience GF and hope it lives up to it's hype!

OOOOOh Milkshake:

Please reprt back with lots of pics!!

We just changed resorts from the Poly to the GF and saved $846!!! I wanted to go to the disneyworld website and do the virtual tour and it's gone! :confused3 My DD5 is devastated that our pool won't have the volcano! :rotfl: I don't think she even knows what a volcano is!! Anyway I'm glad that this thread is here! I'm getting more excited when I read it!!!

We just changed resorts from the Poly to the GF and saved $846!!! I wanted to go to the disneyworld website and do the virtual tour and it's gone! :confused3 My DD5 is devastated that our pool won't have the volcano! :rotfl: I don't think she even knows what a volcano is!! Anyway I'm glad that this thread is here! I'm getting more excited when I read it!!!

how did you get to save that money by booking GF? when are you going???

Show her a pic of the Beach pool at the GF... she'll get over it!! Congrats and have fun!!!!!!!!!:goodvibes

We are going 10/16-10/20. We had Poly reservations with MK view and when I called this morning with the ZQH code she said that there was nothing available at the Poly but there was garden view available at the GF. I was really torn with this. The whole point with the Poly was to get the MK view for DD5. The CM was SO kind she said that we could see the castle from the beach so I said that would be fine. My DH is so happy he told me to tell the CM he loved her! :rotfl2: We went from a $3075.16 MYW with dining pkg. at the Poly to $2229.16 MWY with dining at the GF. I'm assuming that is great! :confused3 I've never stayed at either before so I'm truly hoping this is good! Any opinions??

I stayed at the GF for the first time last week and we stayed GV and it was wonderful. There is some stuffy people there, but they are easy to stay away from. I would say just enjoy your self. The place is so beautiful and people that work there are the nicest people ever. If you have the time to talk someone at the front desk or where ever everyone that works there are so nice even though I was only in a GV room.

Sarah

The virtual tour is still there - I just checked for you. Go to the wdw website, click on resorts & it will take you to the resort info page and then in the middle/right side scroll down to explore the GF and you can click on "virtual tour" below the photos of the GF. It's cute especially w/the music. ;) The GF has a waterfall pool with a cool slide. The GF pool is never as crowded as the Poly pool and that is a big plus. I have stayed at the Poly several times and GF is much better. :thumbsup2 Who needs a volcano?!:rotfl:

Lives4Disney :)

ALL,

Thank you, this another wonderful thread...

We are off to stay at the GF in 29days to celebrate my twins4th B'day in one of those little 'ole GV rooms and am getting very excited. I too got a code in the mail and that is the only reason we can do this trip... it is the first visit for all of us (unbelievable ?)!

I too was feeling a bit down about not staying concierge after reading the other thread but that is long gone now...

I do, however, have to give a huge thank you to the wonderful ladies on the other GF thread for providing me with fantastic info, ideas, and pictures... and Lives4Disney who gave me some terrific help with private dining etc..
We have booked a little treat for the room and a Cabana (decided we rather have a Cabana then go to the Halloween Party the night we arrive, and actually the Cabana costs less then the tix for MNSCHP.) For us it has been about trade-offs to stay within what we decided would be our budget for this trip.

I have a feeling we are going to just adore the GF!

Best

We are going 10/16-10/20. We had Poly reservations with MK view and when I called this morning with the ZQH code she said that there was nothing available at the Poly but there was garden view available at the GF. I was really torn with this. The whole point with the Poly was to get the MK view for DD5. The CM was SO kind she said that we could see the castle from the beach so I said that would be fine. My DH is so happy he told me to tell the CM he loved her! :rotfl2: We went from a $3075.16 MYW with dining pkg. at the Poly to $2229.16 MWY with dining at the GF. I'm assuming that is great! :confused3 I've never stayed at either before so I'm truly hoping this is good! Any opinions??

I love both resorts. We are going to the GF in December and planning a trip to the Poly in May. You can't go wrong at either resort. You were lucky to get a code for the GF, take advantage of it.:thumbsup2 There are never any for the dates I want to go.:sad2: Also the Poly is a short walk from the GF so you can easily walk over to explore.

The virtual tour is still there - I just checked for you. Go to the wdw website, click on resorts & it will take you to the resort info page and then in the middle/right side scroll down to explore the GF and you can click on "virtual tour" below the photos of the GF. It's cute especially w/the music. ;) The GF has a waterfall pool with a cool slide. The GF pool is never as crowded as the Poly pool and that is a big plus. I have stayed at the Poly several times and GF is much better. :thumbsup2 Who needs a volcano?!:rotfl:

Lives4Disney :)

I can't get my virtual tour to work! DARN IT!!!!:sad1:

Well we've arrived at the GF and checked in. The staff here are uniformly wonderful so far.

Only one glitch and that was quickly fixed. We had requested Conch Key first choice then Sago Cay, a high floor. The first room we were assigned was Sago Cay 5416 which was facing the monorail (which I didn't really want but was actually kind of cool BUT was also facing the parking lot and what looked like several portable toilets....apparently there is one GV room at least that does not have a great view! I went back to the check in counter and spoke with the gentleman who checked us in (he had been wonderful -- it's my daughter's birthday tomorrow and he made a big fuss over her and gave her a birthday button). I explained the situation and asked if there was anyway we could get another room, any building, any floor just not a view of a parking lot and the portable toilets. He went into the back office and came out with someone whom I'm assuming was a manager -- she was wearing a different uniform anyway. I explained the situation to her and she went to a computer and spent a good 10 minutes looking for another room. She then asked if we absolutely needed the daybed. I said no, definitely not. She then assigned us to Boca Chica, a wonderful dormer room overlooking the quiet pool and the main building. Everything very pleasant, no stress at all they were happy to try and accomodate. The bellman who delivered our luggage was one we had run into in the elevator in Sago Cay and remembered us. When I explained why we had changed rooms he just nodded and went "oh the back of the convention center view..."

Sago Cay has not been refurbished and neither has Boca Chica. But both interiors are beautiful. A few signs of some wear and tear. The bottom of the tv armoire is a little banged up (probably from the maids vacuuming). The laundry hamper the wicker is a little broken on top. Other than that it looks wonderful. No problem getting extra towels and hangers (they had them up her in about 10-15 minutes). Internet connection is nice and quick, and they charge 9.95 for 24 hours.

We grabbed a quick bite at Gasparilla's: good counter service food, layout and flow not great. They only had the YOMD refillable mugs BUT the minibar had both the Alice in Wonderland and the Captain Hook ones. I chased down the minibar lady and got two more so we all have them. We're waiting now for DH to arrive -- he's in the Navy -- been deployed and is getting a week off and joining us. First time we've seen him in 4 months!!!!

Dinner tonight at Citricos tonight. If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter