• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! AKL pool view worth it?

ptefabulous

Earning My Ears
So I've been researching resorts for weeks and pretty much had my mind set that AKL was the way to go. But I can only afford the pool view, and considering that we are a young couple I'm planning on being at the parks most of the day, so I don't know if the extra $1000 is worth it just to enjoy for an hour at night and in the AM for breakfast.

The other hotel I was considering is the Coronado springs. The rooms look clean and not as childish as some other resorts. I rules out POR just because I don't like the look of the buildings (for some reason it reminds me of military barracks). We will be renting a car so the size of the resort should not be an issue since from what I can tell there is parking by the rooms.

Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice. DB has never stayed at a disney resort before, so I really wanted to take him to a hotel with a nice theme

for $1,000 no

that say - AKL has windows (big one) all over the place - so the view is less important here.

also you have a higher than average chance of being upgraded here.

you might also look a renting a reservation from a DVC member or broker.

"I don't know if the extra $1000 is worth it just to enjoy for an hour at night and in the AM for breakfast."

Whenever people are very specific about the extra cost and that they will be at the parks all day anyway, I would recommend the cheaper option.

As one half of a young couple myself, I would say go for the cheaper option if the parks are your main focus. For example, we stayed at POP this January, and we were in the room for just sleeping basically. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. That said, we have another trip planned in August, but this time we're planning on a more smell-the-roses type of vacation, so we decided on Yacht Club for location and the deluxe atmosphere. Whatever you choose, have a great time OP!

AKL is a beautiful resort, but I agree with PP. if you aren't planning in much resort time you should save the money. CSR is a very nice resort and a nice alternative for you.

Edit to add- you could also consider the standard view room at AKL to save some $ and still get to experience the resort.

Diz Kids said:
AKL is a beautiful resort, but I agree with PP. if you aren't planning in much resort time you should save the money. CSR is a very nice resort and a nice alternative for you.

Edit to add- you could also consider the standard view room at AKL to save some $ and still get to experience the resort.

I agree. And unless you like a dark, obviously lodge type room, that could be disappointing too. Dont get me wrong, AKL is a very cool resort but think its appeal is only for a select group of people.

Pool view at AKL is one of my favorite room locations. But if I was only planning to spend an hour in the morning and in the evening at the resort, I'd save the $1000 (woa!) and stay at CSR!! CSR is beautiful! Try to make some time to swim or hot tub a few times, have a drink in the lounge or at the bar outside!

We enjoyed the AKL pool view, but I agree with the others, if you are on a tight budget I'd stay at a moderate. CSR seems to appeal to many. It's a personal pref, mine is POR Mansion section :)
If it were me, I'd save $ and not rent a car, and use WDW transportation.
Be sure you watch for WDW discounts on rooms.

OP, consider the room price is at the level it is because people are willing to pay the price. Its worth it. For Disney it's worth it, since people pay the rate.

Now this does not mean the Resort or room is for everyone. There are lots of different resorts and various levels of budgets. If you think the room is too much, then move on to another one that may fit your overall needs, expectations and comfort level. If you are not willing to pay the price for a view then you need to ask yourself are you OK with a view of the front entrance, parking lots, service area, roof or trees? That often defines a standard view. Looking out the window is only aspect of a view. The other may include an individuals expectations. How it makes you feel or think. Sometimes this translates for some to be part of the magic. We reserved the Savanna view to make it special for the kids and since it is a unique view option not found at other resorts at Disney or outside of WDW.

Overall, if you are not feeling it. Then you may want to look at other options. Saying $1000 is a lot to save you can use this logic to take you down to the bottom room tier at a Disney value and then right off of Disney property. Somewhere along the line you should find the place that fits what you feel comfortable with reserving for your trip. Good luck with your decision.

Hey! Thanks for all of your help! This trip is a surprise Birthday present for DB and it's hard making all the decisions myself.

I decided to splurge pixiedust: and get the pool view room at AKL with DDP. We'll be getting a car since I know DB is going to want to go to Kennedy Space station one day, and I think for that night we'll spend some time around the hotel in the evening so the stay at AKL will be worth it!

I'm super excited! I'm rationalizing the cost by using it as a celebration of DB's Birthday, finishing my third year of medical school, and early 6 year anniversary present! Lol! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter