Help!!! AK standard view room - worth it??

Momof2boys

Mouseketeer
I need help. We planned an extra trip to Disney at Thanksgiving. We usually go once a year and stay Deluxe. With this being our second trip, money is a little tighter so we booked CSR. However, with AP rates coming out I am hoping to upgrade to WL standard view which would still be in our budget. Now, if this is not available, how is AK standard view?? Is it worth it or should I just stay at CSR and save some money?? I have always wanted to stay at AK, but with savannah view. Unfortunately, this is just not in our budget for this trip. I am looking forward to staying at CSR, so I would not be disappointed if we ended up here. What do you think??

i think you should go for the AKL standard view. I have read repeatedly that the animal viewing areas are wonderful and there is plenty to do at the lodge - as well as it is BEAUTIFUL - and a DELUXE!! Plus, you never know...you might be upgraded to a pool or sav. view like a lot of others...just don't COUNT on it.

There are some who will tell you savannah view is a MUST, but I have stayed in a standard room, and there are plenty of places to watch the animals from open viewing areas throughout the resort. There are even places to sit and observe.

If you get a standard view room, you may want to consider asking for one on a higher floor. There are some lower floor ones that are very close to the bus stop areas and might be noisy.

.......to stay at AKL where ever your room is located. Request Ostrich Trail. That's where our standard view rooms were and they were wonderful. We were even on the same floor as the lobby {3} and it was very quiet. We fell in love with AKL and I don't think my family will ever want to stay anywhere else. You will have a wonderful time.

I would also say it's worth it--go for it! Although we had a savanna view (and I won't lie, it was nice) we still were not in our room all that much and found that we watched most of the animals while we were outside by the pool outlooks, and near the lobby. We also did a lot of exploring inside the resort--there is so much to see! We originally booked a standard room and were upgraded, but even though I had the savanna, I wouldn't hesitate to stay in a standard room. The resort is great and you will find the animals all over.

Worth it!!!

Last Feb. we switched our reservation from CBR to AKL standard view and now we are seriously considering going back to AKL this February b/c we just loved the whole resort!!!! We actually got upgraded to a pool view room and loved it! Everytime we walked out our room there was a balcony overlook to the savannah that we could peer out to see the animals. Plus they have fantastic viewing spots all over the hotel and even down by the pool area. I really enjoyed walking around to all the different viewing areas.

We really liked the whole ambience of this hotel from the staff to the restaurants to the pool it was all excellent!

Booking the Standard I think would be a good move. Yes there are areas to see the animals plus you probably will get upgraded depending on how busy and full the resort is. We had a standard room booked last year the week after Thanksgiving and we were upgraded to a Zebra Trail Sav. Rm. at no cost.

If the view is not in your budget, book a standard and hope for a room with a view.

I never pay extra for a view. I do not sit in my room long enough to care what the view is. To justify the extra cost, this would have to be a vacation where I'm spending a lot of time in my room or on the balconey. Is this the ocean, no it's Disney. All that being said AK is one resort where I do think I would spend the extra money. There's something about sitting on a balconey overlooking the savanna.

I would rather take a standard view and hope for an upgrade and have extra money to do the things I like to do.

I originally booked AKL concierge for part of our June/July 04
trip,but after really thinking about all that $$$$$ I'd be wasting(we spend very little time in our hotel room),I changed my ressies to standard room and used the savings to book Discovery Cove.
I guess you really have to decide what's important to you when you book your room.
Good luck!!

Airhead

I just got back and had a standard room booked and was upgraded to savannah. So I don't have experience in the standard view but I'd go back and take it in a second. There are SO many areas to view the animals and I did a lot of animal watching outside of the room. It seemed the animals liked certain spots...we mostly saw one kind of animal from our room though the others wandered by every now and then. You'll probably find yourself checking out the views in different savannahs. I liked watching the giraffes which seldom came over to where we were (we had these big horned cow thingees). The lodge is so beautiful you won't want to spend so much time in the room anyway. My biggest complaint was how far it seemed to get down to Mara for a mug refill...and that isn't much of a complaint! LOL! And it was another excuse to get out and walk around the resort. They also have activities for kids (and adults too some) going on all day. I was very impressed. Go for it!

I just got back from a weekend at AKL, and if you can get a good rate on a standard room, I'd take it. As many have already said, you can see the animals from several viewing areas around the resort. As a matter of fact, I just updated our video on AKL, and the animal footage I shot was all from public areas (the animals went into hiding whenever I went on the balcony :) ). You can see the video from the DIS home page (www.wdwinfo.com).

Thanks,
Pete

Thanks for all your input. Unfortunatley, when I called this morning there were no rooms at the AP rate, except for Deluxe Savannah. We didn't want to spend over $200.00 for a room this trip. Oh well, we'll have to try it another time. I got a great rate at CSR though, so I am happy :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter